By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA 4 Shoe in for GOTY? Best game in History?

ckmlb said:
The only competition is MGS 4 for GOTY. There's no way Starcraft 2 will make it this year.

I wouldn't count out Spore. Will Wright has the amazing ability to package crack in the form of a PC game.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Torillian said:
BluJay said:
GOTY- more than likely
Best game in history- no

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, Final Fantasy 7, Super Mario RPG, and countless other games would like to speak to you.

So are you saying that all of these games will beat GTAIV in critics' reviews when it's all said and done, or are you basing this on games that you played and think are better than GTAIV. Because if it's the latter then I would suggest you wait until you actually play the game to lay that judgement.

edit: same goes to you Waron, how are all these people who haven't played the game such experts on the scores it deserves?

I mean in the cult following that those games have. Millions of gamers love those games and they are talked about everyday. GTA is seriously OVERRATED.

myspace.com/neorayj

@Torillian
"edit: same goes to you Waron, how are all these people who haven't played the game such experts on the scores it deserves?"
sorry but when i see the game i've been playing 5 times from 2001(gta3, gta vc, gta sa and both stories games), and now i will see exactly the same game - i don't think it deserve for more than 8/10. now, because all the hype and words "grand theft auto" on the box it's getting 10s from reviewers asses even though it's the same game they was playing in 2001, 2002 and 2004, 2005 and 2006 as always they don't remember that(how many sequels were bashing, because they were similar to it's predecessors and their scores were always lower because of this?).

Final-Fan said:
@ kingofwale: Mike's not saying it SHOULD happen, but it DOES happen. More than one Wii game has gotten smacked by the reverse attitude. I hope LBP escapes that fate.

Hmm, what game of Wii has gotten that? Galaxy is one of the highest rated game last year, same with SSBB, I personally think they were pretty fairly reviewed.

Sure, developers of Escape from Bug Island and Kidz Sports game can whine all they want, but the truth is, those games are BROKEN to begin with.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
ckmlb said:
waron said:
i hope not, because it will be a sad day in gaming when a repetitive, average game will become better than all-time classics like zelda OoT, mario 64, resident evil 4, soul calibur, goldeneye 007 or halo just because it's a gta game.

Cause you know none of those games were repetitive...

didn't you play in gta 4 in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006? cause i did already. 

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
mike_intellivision said:
I wonder if anyone who does not like violence and open-box games and being the bad guy will review it negatively -- just to be different. (There seem to be reviewers willing to do that for other types of games).

Personally, I don't care for this type of game. But I know a lot of people do so I hope it is as good as advertised.

If it is close, than it should be a strong contender for game of the year. I doubt it is the best game of all time -- because I doubt that there is not a better game to be made in the future. (After all, don't we want the future to get better).

Mike from Morgantown

Jacob isn't a bad guy, he is just a guy who got thrust into a bad world... You know.. like in the real world.

Not everyone likes the fantasy style games where you are the prince who has no evil in him and set out to save the princess and defeat the evil overlord and save the day.  

just difference in taste, Most reviewers are mature enough to overlook aspects of a game that doesn't fit them personally and review the game on the only factor, "FUN"

I'm not quite sure were you trolling or not, since i'm sure that you know how the tecnical issues have affect to the score. Consider last Madden on PS3 having lower score than the game on 360 because of visuals, the number of Wii games having the "0,5 point reduction" because of visuals, how many games have got reduction because of being similar with predecessor etc... This happens all the time with every reviewer, so i'd hardly call them rating games only by basing review on fun.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

kingofwale said:
Final-Fan said:
@ kingofwale: Mike's not saying it SHOULD happen, but it DOES happen. More than one Wii game has gotten smacked by the reverse attitude. I hope LBP escapes that fate.

Hmm, what game of Wii has gotten that? Galaxy is one of the highest rated game last year, same with SSBB, I personally think they were pretty fairly reviewed.

Sure, developers of Escape from Bug Island and Kidz Sports game can whine all they want, but the truth is, those games are BROKEN to begin with.

pes 2008, fire emblem, godfather, wii sports, elebits, medal of honor heroes 2, excite truck endless ocean, link's crossbow training, dewy's adventure, mario party 8, wii play(and so on, and so on) anyone? wii fit and mario kart probably too.

all wii games suffers, mostly because graphic, controls or because being to hard(dewy's adventure, fire emblem anyone).

many party games suffers simply because they're party games(rayman raving rabbids series)

and there is endless ocean who suffers just because it's a simulation about diving and not killing-deadly-creatures-under-water game.

Nothing will ever beat GTA IV, its scope is just amazing

Words Of Wisdom said:
I sometimes think I'll be the only one happy when all the GTA4 hype dies.

As someone who loves the GTA series and has been looking forward to GTA IV I can honestly say you're not the only one....the sheer amount of ass kissing this game has received so far is impressive and most of the reviews sound more like endorsements of a political candidate than a review. A lot of so-called professionals have let themselves get wrapped up in the hype. With that said I pretty much expected it and you really have to just step back and let them have their day in the sun. A lot of people have waited a long time for this, and once the hype dies down and the "Z0MG Z0MG Z0MG" mentality chills out a bit towards the end of the year we should be able to get a fair GoTY ballot. The game is definitely worthy of consideration, and possibly a shoe-in for most other years, but this year it will have competition.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I'm really not happy about this I already finished everything in the game, done all manhunt, most wanted, races, assassination almost everybody loves my over 90 pro cent (although i can't get dwayne higher he never answers his calls) and I finished the story and I do think it's a very good game, but I really do not feel it's that good (not best of all time), the game never really gave me this feeling to be in an epic story, although the story was pretty good it never got me real emotional. Same thing with the gameplay, they really improved the shoot-outs with the cover and aiming is so much better but still it's good not great. The game is great though just not the best in history.