By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, what if the Wii wins Worldwide next week in HW sales?

I think the time of being surprised by Wii "winning" hw weeks is over on my part.
That said; even in the Mario Kart/Wii Fit times such as these, this is probably the best shot the HD consoles have at stealing a "victory" week for quite a while.
I think the PS3 will be very close (within 25-30k) and the 360 will be 60-70k behind this week in total ww hardware.
Japan is the factor here; they hate GTA and Wii has the best numbers there every week compared to the others.

Around the Network

depends on Nintys stock

As usual, everyone overestimates the boost created by big releases. I've had to say it so many times, I should probably put this in my sig: "Hardware never spikes as much as you think for big games."  With that said, 360 and PS3 hardware WILL be up noticeably for the week of Grand Theft Auto (which of course is next week's charts, not this current upcoming one). I expect both to see something in the area of 30% rise, with perhaps as high as 50% as the extreme upper limit. But some of these predictions - 300k? 400k?! - are just lunacy.

Fun fact: neither the PS3 nor 360 has ever topped 250k in weekly sales outside holidays/PS3 European launch. This is easily seen by looking at our weekly sales chart:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39047&end=39558

The 360's best was a 241k week for Halo release last year. The PS3's best was 228k last month on the week of 28 March, the debut of Gran Turismo Prologue in Europe. Clearly the release of large titles do increase hardware sales - they just create "bumps" on the graphs, not wild spikes upwards. And we'll see the same thing for Grand Theft Auto. There's a good chance that both the PS3 and 360 will top their previous non-holiday high marks that I mentioned above. But there's very little chance that they'll get anywhere close to 300k weekly sales (which would be an 80% increase for the PS3, and about a 110% increase for the 360!)

The Wii has sold 5.251m units so far this year, across 16 weeks; that's an average of 328k per week. So as long as the Wii sells around its weekly average (which it certainly should do!) there's practically no chance that it will be outsold by either the 360 or PS3. You can't guarantee anything in the market, but statistically the continuation of Wii hardware dominance is extremely likely.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

were the GTAs ever a system seller juz wondering...cuz i would imagine GTA's would be more for people who already own a system...

Being that the game is going to be released on both platforms, has limited appeal in Japan and will give a (somewhat) equal boost to both consoles, you're looking at the sales of the PS3 and XBox 360 tripling in both remaining regions (in a non-holiday week) in order to match the Wii's weekly sales ...

In other words the Wii will outsell the PS3 and XBox 360 next week, although combined they will outsell the Wii ...

Around the Network

People are so stupid, the wii isnt that great, and yet they all buy it as if its the next ps2.

mM

@sulla

so a DEMO of a BIG game for PS3 led to its highest Weekly sales outside of holidays

Don't you think Grand Frikkin Theft Auto will lead to higher sales than that..

maybe not for 360 though as Halo 3 was far bigger for it..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

@leo-j

I see you've gone back to your old ways

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

pichu_pichu said:
wii fit launch in Europe
Golden week in Japan
Mkwii boost in America
Wii Launch in Korea

I Think too that Wii might outsell PS360 next week

yep

I think Wii will win WW in HW! 

leo-j said:
People are so stupid, the wii isnt that great, and yet they all buy it as if its the next ps2.

So everyone disagrees with you, which must mean they're wrong and you're right? When adults face situations like this, they tend to notice a more simple alternative...

Wait, does this mean you're past denial and into anger? Congratulations on your progress.

To get back on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the HD consoles both have a week or even two when they sell more than the Wii, but neither one of them will be the one to win the month. Then again, Wii shipments have been insane lately, so it might end up on top after all. Short term sales spikes don't really matter, so I haven't given it much thought.