By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, what if the Wii wins Worldwide next week in HW sales?

you have already read mine for that week.

It really won't matter what the HD consoles do. The Wii will be so huge that week.

The Wii should sell 500k without breaking a sweat.. and maybe push for 600k

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

For monthly, I think it depends on the hangover: Will the Wii shipments the next week be so low that the GTA effect continues helps it to a huge win? Or will Wii have a fair amount of stock and GTA's effect wears low.

But Wii should win the week, but lose marketshare.

leo-j said:
People are so stupid, the wii isnt that great, and yet they all buy it as if its the next ps2.

Grow up and stop trolling.

leo-j said:
People are so stupid, the wii isnt that great, and yet they all buy it as if its the next ps2.

You are right the wii is not great, it's awesome.

Sullla said:

As usual, everyone overestimates the boost created by big releases. I've had to say it so many times, I should probably put this in my sig: "Hardware never spikes as much as you think for big games." With that said, 360 and PS3 hardware WILL be up noticeably for the week of Grand Theft Auto (which of course is next week's charts, not this current upcoming one). I expect both to see something in the area of 30% rise, with perhaps as high as 50% as the extreme upper limit. But some of these predictions - 300k? 400k?! - are just lunacy.

Fun fact: neither the PS3 nor 360 has ever topped 250k in weekly sales outside holidays/PS3 European launch. This is easily seen by looking at our weekly sales chart:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39047&end=39558

The 360's best was a 241k week for Halo release last year. The PS3's best was 228k last month on the week of 28 March, the debut of Gran Turismo Prologue in Europe. Clearly the release of large titles do increase hardware sales - they just create "bumps" on the graphs, not wild spikes upwards. And we'll see the same thing for Grand Theft Auto. There's a good chance that both the PS3 and 360 will top their previous non-holiday high marks that I mentioned above. But there's very little chance that they'll get anywhere close to 300k weekly sales (which would be an 80% increase for the PS3, and about a 110% increase for the 360!)

The Wii has sold 5.251m units so far this year, across 16 weeks; that's an average of 328k per week. So as long as the Wii sells around its weekly average (which it certainly should do!) there's practically no chance that it will be outsold by either the 360 or PS3. You can't guarantee anything in the market, but statistically the continuation of Wii hardware dominance is extremely likely.

This deserves to be bumped to the next page.

I would like to add a few things though. Halo 3's effect in Europe/Other wasn't as big as the effect on sales that GTA4 will be in Europe/Others. GT5:P effect in America wasn't as big as it was in Europe, nor as big as GTA4 will be in America. And since GTA4 is being released worldwide (minus Japan, where it won't sell very much anyway), it should have a greater effect for both consoles. So I think it's likely they'll manage 300k each (with higher sales for the 360 in America, and higher sales for the PS3 in Europe/Other).

At the same time, I actually think there's a good chance that the Wii gets close to PS3+360. In Japan, with Golden Week, it should get about 60-75k. In America, with the larger than usual shipments, not to mention Mario Kart, I think the upper limit could be as high as 350k, and in Europe/Other with WiiFit and the continued effect from Mario Kart, 200k isn't out of the question (as a high end of course), for a worldwide total of little greater than 600k. It really depends on how many units Nintendo ships (and it seems like they're shipping a good amount of them).

Either way, there's little chance that the Wii will sell less than 360+PS3 combined during April or May (according to NPD or VGChartz). So far for April VGChartz has Wii at 500k, PS3 at 186k, and 360 at 177k. Even at a normal week in NA for the Wii, selling 150k or so, the PS3 and 360 combined would have to sell 287k, a 150k or so increase combined over last week sales. So I think Wii will win NPD April, and most likely will still sell PS3+360.

As for May, WiiFit arrives in America, and the effect of GTA4 won't be as great as it was in April, so there's not really any question that the Wii will win May.

All in all, the question isn't "What if the Wii wins WW next week?" the question should be "What happens after the Wii wins WW next week, against the biggest game of the generation?"

Around the Network

I think this will be a huge week for the wii for industry watchers. Nintendo has great cards this gen and they are fighting strategically. The "more wii's than ever before" marketing, wiifit in europe, and kart in the US, they are prepared to fight hard and I think it will pay off.

neither the PS3 or the 360 have any hope of outselling the wii WW, so if nothing else Nintendo can still claim that as a victory. And if they push hard enough the wii has a slim but possible chance of outselling the two of them combined WW. If that happens you know Nintendo will shout that from the rooftops, and it will be a huge victory and a PR boon. This week is win/bigger win for nintendo, which is in and of itself a show of their strength this gen. The biggest HD game (possibly for the whole gen) is releasing and Nintendo can't lose.

if I had to take a stab at the numbers I'd say
PS3 210-260k WW (mostly thanks to "others favoring it over the 360)
360 175-230 (very slight chance MS advertising could put it over the PS3 WW)
Wii 420k-500k (kind of a wild card, depends on how much supply Nintendo pumps in)

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I think the big question is: after the launch of GTAIV, will consumer interest in the PS3/X360 change in the West?

Right now the only real bastion of competion is in the US and Europe, and the Wii is winning handily.

However, GTAIV is one of the definitive games of this generation, supposedly, and as we saw with H3, it brought in a king's ransom of new X360 owners, and made the X360 rather viable during Christmas (certainly not perfect, but it still was Microsoft's best Christmas ever).

I think what will be telling is if, in May, the 360 and PS3, combined can equal *about* 120-130% of the Wii's sales in May. Ultimately, 1 week can't tell a whole war, but 1 month can tell us a bit. If the X360 and PS3 can average around 200k/wk for May (each), and the Wii stays around 350k/wk, this might be somewhat advantageous for the HD consoles. But we'll have to see.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
I think the big question is: after the launch of GTAIV, will consumer interest in the PS3/X360 change in the West?

Right now the only real bastion of competion is in the US and Europe, and the Wii is winning handily.

However, GTAIV is one of the definitive games of this generation, supposedly, and as we saw with H3, it brought in a king's ransom of new X360 owners, and made the X360 rather viable during Christmas (certainly not perfect, but it still was Microsoft's best Christmas ever).

I think what will be telling is if, in May, the 360 and PS3, combined can equal *about* 120-130% of the Wii's sales in May. Ultimately, 1 week can't tell a whole war, but 1 month can tell us a bit. If the X360 and PS3 can average around 200k/wk for May (each), and the Wii stays around 350k/wk, this might be somewhat advantageous for the HD consoles. But we'll have to see.

You mean what GTA was to last gen? The problem is, that it is multiconsole. It will make both do better, but it won't "pick" the Winner like GTA did last gen.

Also, it is yet to be seen if GTA when big as big a deal as it was last gen... back then no one had ever done the whole sandbox run your own town type game.. now it is old hat. GTA4 sounds incredible( and I might get it, someday) but it has like no affect on the "Wii" audience.

It is target toward 14-22 year old males. The only audience the Wii does not have anyways.

GTA4 will come hype hype hype, then blow over(like Halo 3), and we Will have to suffer through another round leo-j Wii doomsday predictions when MGS4, GT5, and FFXIII come.. get used to it. Sony fanboys have been calling every major good game a Wii killer for over a year now... and look how things have turned out.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Bigjon - but GTAIV, with as big as it is, could swing the Core audience that the Wii is supposedly gaining (somewhere along the line), and solidifying HD consoles as being big.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

@bigjon

once again....anything can happen as GTA SA sold 20 million & NEITHER 360 nir PS3 have even sold that much..so it could be a huge system seller

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey