By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, what if the Wii wins Worldwide next week in HW sales?

I believe that sales for GTA will be massive, I just question if it will boost sales like everybody seems to think they will.

I think that PS3 and the 360 will both sell about 300,000.  I predict the Wii will sell 500,000.  So the Wii beats the other two individually, but not combined.

I know you didn't ask, but I'll throw this out to:  GTA4 sells more on each platform individually than Mario Kart Wii sells.

Around the Network

No I think most so called "hardcore" gamers who's going to buy GTAIV already own a PS3 or a Xbox360

Even if they dont they are no match for the so called "casual" gamers

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
No I think most so called "hardcore" gamers who's going to buy GTAIV already own a PS3 or a Xbox360

Even if they dont they are no match for the so called "casual" gamers

It just so happens that GTA is one of the most casual franchises in the game industry. There are a lot of PS2 owners that only have GTA and Madden.

Wii could easily be on top next week. Nintendo will have lots of Wii's to go with Mario Kart (the sunday ads mentioned "more Wii's than ever") and that's exactly their strategy. They will want to make sure to be the highest selling system in the month where the competitors receive their biggest game of this gen.

For us it's more interesting to see which HD console benefits most from GTA, but Nintendo sends out a strong signal to developers and publishers if it will outsell the HD consoles next week and the month after.

PDF said:
^^ If you read more closely that was kind of my point.

Correct, my bad. I misread.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@ Naum Clearly casual gamers play GTA or it wouldn't have achieved 16.5 million sales for its last outing ( Compared to 10.5 million for mario kart DS)

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

Around the Network

Some people just can't admit that the Wii is a success without throwing in the word "casuals", can they?

I have no idea what the boost might be for GTA4, but judging from the last few weeks (in which the boost probably started), I'd say the Wii will be on top WW, if not in every territory, especially when we consider that there seems to be a boost in supply for this week.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

solojohlo said:
@ Naum Clearly casual gamers play GTA or it wouldn't have achieved 16.5 million sales for its last outing ( Compared to 10.5 million for mario kart DS)

I even bought the GD thing(san andreas AND vice city), and I hate GTA. Knew I hated it when I paid for it. Yeah, casuals buy it. Just like Guitar Hero.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

It all depends on how many Wiis are available. If there are enough then PS3 and 360 will not sell more. Maybe together they might but not seperatly.

Davey1983 i think it will be close between MK Wii and GTA 4 totals but not separating PS 3 and 360 sales.

Sales will be massive, but the system pushing power of the game would be weakened because:

Anyone who has an X360 won't buy a PS3 for this game and vice versa. A considerable portion Wii-only owners who want to play this game would buy the PC version, and won't care if their graphics card weren't the most cutting edge. Hardware sales for people who haven't had any of the 3 consoles would be distributed a bit evenly between the X360 and PS3.

All these factors make it hard for a dual-platform game to push any console. Just look at COD4, high software sales, not so high system pushing power.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I was just looking over my posts and I don't remember ever asking about anything but sales.

I certainly didn't ask, or care to know anyones personal anecdotes or opinions on the percieved quality of gaming on each console.

If I did, allow me to apologize profusely.

If I didn't, your comments were inappropriate, but as I said, say anything you want.

You asked: "Also, will any of you HD-Console fanboys feel dissapointed or let down by GTA IV's impact if 360 and PS3 sales fail to dethrone the Wii for even one week, worldwide?"

When you bring feelings into a question, and ask for fanyboys to reply, what do you expect? He merely answered he wouldn't and logically followed up why he wouldn't. (You already appologized, just pointing out the question was asked... as you didn't see it in his quoted box)