By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, what if the Wii wins Worldwide next week in HW sales?

Parokki said:
leo-j said:
People are so stupid, the wii isnt that great, and yet they all buy it as if its the next ps2.

So everyone disagrees with you, which must mean they're wrong and you're right?

When adults face situations like this, they tend to notice a more simple alternative...

agreed

leo - then what do u think is the next PS2??? The PS3??? That's like the opposite right now (being in last place) 

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure that Wii Fit in Europe and Mario Kart in America, not to mention a Korean release of the Wii, is a lot larger console pusher(not to mention increased shipments in respective areas) than GTA IV.

I don't think there should be much doubt that Wii will still have the most sales the week this happens.

Zucas said:
I'm pretty sure that Wii Fit in Europe and Mario Kart in America, not to mention a Korean release of the Wii, is a lot larger console pusher(not to mention increased shipments in respective areas) than GTA IV.

I don't think there should be much doubt that Wii will still have the most sales the week this happens.
yeah - hopefully unless Ninty doesn't ship a lot for launch like for the NA SSBB launch

BengaBenga said:
Naum said:
No I think most so called "hardcore" gamers who's going to buy GTAIV already own a PS3 or a Xbox360

Even if they dont they are no match for the so called "casual" gamers

It just so happens that GTA is one of the most casual franchises in the game industry. There are a lot of PS2 owners that only have GTA and Madden.

Wii could easily be on top next week. Nintendo will have lots of Wii's to go with Mario Kart (the sunday ads mentioned "more Wii's than ever") and that's exactly their strategy. They will want to make sure to be the highest selling system in the month where the competitors receive their biggest game of this gen.

For us it's more interesting to see which HD console benefits most from GTA, but Nintendo sends out a strong signal to developers and publishers if it will outsell the HD consoles next week and the month after.

I agree with Benga. If Ninty can still manage to outperform PS3 & 360 during the month of the mighty GTA4, it pretty much confirms that there's nothing Sony or MS can do to touch them.  That'll definitely send a very strong message to both companies and third parties alike.

That said, I can't wait to see sales for the next month.

I anxiously await all the claims of "Korea doesn't count!".

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
Parokki said:
leo-j said:
People are so stupid, the wii isnt that great, and yet they all buy it as if its the next ps2.

Wait, does this mean you're past denial and into anger? Congratulations on your progress.

I Ell Oh Elled...out loud.

To answer the topic question: the result would be beautiful to behold, as the usual suspects on this site throw temper tantrums of massive proportions. And as has been pointed out earlier, GTA is split amongst two consoles, each of which sells much less than the Wii does on a weekly basis, so the spike for both of them would have to be massive for either of them to catch up. Add to that the fact that shipments in the U.S. have been increased because of Mario Kart's debut, and those in Europe are up because of Wii Fit, and it's harder to see how the other consoles can catch up. Unless, of course, the fanboys opt to combine the sales of both consoles to make themselves look better. In that case, we can truly say that the Wii is a system that brings people together.

Actually, what I'm most looking forward to are the monthly sales. The Wii's done well in April so far, but since GTA launches near the end of the month, the effect of its sales will be split, so it's quite possible the spike won't put either the 360 or the PS3 over the top in April or May... 

I can see the headlines now

Wii outsells 360 and ps3: "GTA 4 not big enough to tackle the Wii"
360 and PS3: barely outsell Wii "Even after biggest release of the generation Wii still manages to sell amazingly well"
360 and ps3 sales don't change: "360 and ps3 dig an early grave"
Wii goes down a lot: "Wii is doomed!!!!111!!"

PS3 will outsell Wii the week its released in total Hardware and total software.

360 will come 3rd, but not much behind the Wii.

there you have it.

ph4nt said:
I can see the headlines now

Wii outsells 360 and ps3: "GTA 4 not big enough to tackle the Wii"
360 and PS3: barely outsell Wii "Even after biggest release of the generation Wii still manages to sell amazingly well"
360 and ps3 sales don't change: "360 and ps3 dig an early grave"
Wii goes down a lot: "Wii is doomed!!!!111!!"

Wii outsells PS3/360 combined: Wii Fad will end soon!

For the not so smart members, this is just an hypothetical, I'm not saying it will happen.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The Wii has enough advantages that it might be able to pull a win this week. Mario Kart Wii, and Golden Week will give it a sizeable boost and possibly counter-act any sales increase from GTA4.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229