By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales - how low will they go before picking up?

The PS2 sold at a loss of $50-$100 a unit, had a powerful launch, sold like mad and was a commercial success yet it took more than two years before its price dropped even $100.

The PS3 on the otherhand sells at a loss of $200-$250 a unit, had a poor launch, is selling relatively poorly and is a commercial nightmare that has resulted in a 2 billion dollar loss. Do you really think the PS3 will be dropping in price anytime sooner than the PS2 did? Do you honestly think Sony can afford to lower its price?

Around the Network

The PS3 is already price cut in Japan. It sells at a discount when compared to the rest of the world and it's done NOTHING for sales.

gentian said:
I want to clarify one point from my last post. I think Killer games can move systems. But I think that far fewer games are killer games than people like to think.

The total price of a system seller largely influences how high quality the game has to be inorder to sell systems. Consider the following prices and think how good a game would have to be to sell these systems:

• $100 system + $40 game
  • $200 system + $50 game
  • $300 system + $50 game
  • $400 system + $60 game
  • $500 system + $60 game
  • $600 system + $60 game

At the lower end of the spectrum you're seeing the situation which was common for the GBA through most of its life, the next two represent the common strategy of the PS2, Gamecube, XBox, Wii and most other successful platforms. After you move beyond that you're dealing with the strategy of the PS3 and XBox 360.

A system seller (in my opinion) is a game which convinces someone who wouldn't initially buy the system to buy it; how good does a game have to be to convince someone (who is resistant to buying the system) to pay $500-$700 to play it?

FishyJoe said:
The PS3 is already price cut in Japan. It sells at a discount when compared to the rest of the world and it's done NOTHING for sales.

That's because Square-Enix pressured them to lower the price or they wouldn't develop for them.

Gballzack said:
FishyJoe said:

That's because Square-Enix pressured them to lower the price or they wouldn't develop for them.

Hmm, I've never heard that before. Do you have a source for that? I know Ubisoft was lobbying for a price cut, but I didn't hear SE force it on Sony.

Around the Network

There is no floor to PS3 weekly sales. By which I mean, sales increases will merely be seasonal, while otherwise sales will continually fall. Right now they still have hype, they still have fans waiting for games and for price drops, putting faith in the PlayStation name. This Xmas and next Xmas will not be typified by these fans finally buying PS3's, it will be typified by millions upon millions of fans finally giving up on PS3 and buying the competing systems, because PS3 will still have the highest price and worst mass-appeal lineup. Sure, sales may be a little bit better next year, as a price cut and some marquee games finally come, but even if a $100 price cut and an incrementally improved lineup doubled sales, that increase merely gets PS3 to a point where it will sell maybe 8 million consoles a year worldwide. Considering what Wii is doing right now, and the size of the lead it will have by next year, that would be horribly inadequete. I've already predicted that PS3 sales will fall below 60K/month for NPD US. Now let me add to that: PS3 sales will fall below 6K/week in Japan.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

yuda398 said:
NJ5 said:
Bodhesatva said:
yuda398 said:
TheSource said:

Sales in Japan and Europe will in all likelihood be down this week as well. I'm thinking 8k Japan, 18k Europe/Others, and the 17k already posted for the Americas - a grand total of 43,000 for the entire week - the lowest sales of any current console (Wii,360,PS3) to date.

I think that in Europe it will pick up this week.

specially in the U.K after the successful gamers day.

Any reason why you think it will pick up this week? Gamer's day was over a week ago already: if there was any pickup, it would be visible by now. Unless you think people saved all their excitement for two weeks after the event. Are there any games coming out this week? Or do you have some other reason to expect boosts in sales?

Personally, I think we're looking at another month or so of steadily declining sales, until significant releases arrive again.

It's just another instance of the "now, the PS3 sales surge/increase/craze starts now!"... I don't even comment on those anymore, it's just a waste of time.

I was wrong, so what?!

why do you need to be so rude?

I was not rude, I merely stated a personal opinion.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Dolla Dolla said:
Gballzack said:
FishyJoe said:

Hmm, I've never heard that before. Do you have a source for that? I know Ubisoft was lobbying for a price cut, but I didn't hear SE force it on Sony.

Unfortunately no, I read it along time ago and damned if I could find the source again. Any attempt to search for the article has only brought up articles about Square discussing their cautious approach to developing for the PS3.

Erik Aston said:
There is no floor to PS3 weekly sales. By which I mean, sales increases will merely be seasonal, while otherwise sales will continually fall.

Right now they still have hype, they still have fans waiting for games and for price drops, putting faith in the PlayStation name. This Xmas and next Xmas will not be typified by these fans finally buying PS3's, it will be typified by millions upon millions of fans finally giving up on PS3 and buying the competing systems, because PS3 will still have the highest price and worst mass-appeal lineup.

Sure, sales may be a little bit better next year, as a price cut and some marquee games finally come, but even if a $100 price cut and an incrementally improved lineup doubled sales, that increase merely gets PS3 to a point where it will sell maybe 8 million consoles a year worldwide. Considering what Wii is doing right now, and the size of the lead it will have by next year, that would be horribly inadequete.

I've already predicted that PS3 sales will fall below 60K/month for NPD US. Now let me add to that: PS3 sales will fall below 6K/week in Japan.

I think it has found its leveling out at about 8k for Japan. When was the last game released in Japan for the PS3? And, from Famitsu's Japan numbers, it looks like the PS3 might have gone up instead of down.

Also, if you have faith in VGCharts weekly numbers, it looks like the PS3 is already tracking about 57k for the past 3 weeks or so. I think this week will be the last week for NPD, so it should pull at least another 15k, which would give it somewhere in the vicinity of 70K systems for May NPD.

CrazzyMan said:
NJ5 said:
CrazzyMan said:
NJ5 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
They better be better on the Playstation 3. It has Blu-Ray for crying out loud.

I hope they do take advantage of Blu-Ray on MGS4... Because if they don't, I don't think anyone else will (other than using the space for duplicating the game data in order to account for the slowness of the Blu-Ray drive, as other developers have done so far). I also wonder how that game can be profitable if it's a PS3 exclusive.

Only Oblivion developers have duplicated data on ps3 AND on x360. So, if game have not enough speed on blu-ray, it`s most likely, will have not enough speed on dvd.

Do you have any sources saying that? I'd be interested to read on that, and haven't succeeded in finding anything in a short trip to google I just did.

try this -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=ru&q=oblivion+data+cache+360&lr =)

You're mixing up two different things, one of which is not what we were talking about before. One thing is duplicating data on the game disc due to the low speed of the optical drive, another one is using the console's hard drive for caching. It appears that the former was done on the PS3 only, while the latter was done on both the PS3 and the 360.

Data caching on the PS3 for Oblivion:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73385

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957