By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales - how low will they go before picking up?

Gballzack said:

The PS2 sold at a loss of $50-$100 a unit, had a powerful launch, sold like mad and was a commercial success yet it took more than two years before its price dropped even $100.

The PS3 on the otherhand sells at a loss of $200-$250 a unit, had a poor launch, is selling relatively poorly and is a commercial nightmare that has resulted in a 2 billion dollar loss. Do you really think the PS3 will be dropping in price anytime sooner than the PS2 did? Do you honestly think Sony can afford to lower its price?

you have to remember that part of the reason why it didn't see a price drop for two years is because it was selling so successfully, and Sony didn't see a need to drop the price when they could simply make more money. I'm sure Sony could have dropped the price earlier, but they would have made less money. This is the same situation the Wii is in right now, they probably could drop the price $50 but it wouldn't increase sales and would just make them less money.

On the other hand, you can bet every cent you have that Sony are going to drop the PS3 price as soon as it is feasable. It definitely won't take 2 years as the PS2 did.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
Gballzack said:

The PS2 sold at a loss of $50-$100 a unit, had a powerful launch, sold like mad and was a commercial success yet it took more than two years before its price dropped even $100.

The PS3 on the otherhand sells at a loss of $200-$250 a unit, had a poor launch, is selling relatively poorly and is a commercial nightmare that has resulted in a 2 billion dollar loss. Do you really think the PS3 will be dropping in price anytime sooner than the PS2 did? Do you honestly think Sony can afford to lower its price?

you have to remember that part of the reason why it didn't see a price drop for two years is because it was selling so successfully, and Sony didn't see a need to drop the price when they could simply make more money. I'm sure Sony could have dropped the price earlier, but they would have made less money. This is the same situation the Wii is in right now, they probably could drop the price $50 but it wouldn't increase sales and would just make them less money.

On the other hand, you can bet every cent you have that Sony are going to drop the PS3 price as soon as it is feasable. It definitely won't take 2 years as the PS2 did.

yeah I agree with you omgwtfbbq.  Sony isn't stupid.  They are very aware of the need for a drop and I think as soon as they can get the price down to 500 or less sales will start to pick up to a much more reasonable number.  Obviously Sony won't be getting more than 50% of the market like last generation, but they can still pull off something like 30%, which wouldn't be bad at all for a system like the PS3.  Especially when they are trying to push a new media format with it.

Since we're doing graphs, I found this interesting: http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=Wii&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1 If we align all launch dates and look at cumulative sales, the 360 and PS3 track very closely, yet no one is calling the 360 a loser at this point. I admit there are different circumstances - the 360 launched while the PS2 was still in full swing and many were not looking yet for a Next Gen console, whereas the launch of the PS3 and Wii pretty well signaled the end of the Last Gen and should have prodded more people to pick up a new machine.

misterd said:
Since we're doing graphs, I found this interesting: http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=Wii&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1 If we align all launch dates and look at cumulative sales, the 360 and PS3 track very closely, yet no one is calling the 360 a loser at this point. I admit there are different circumstances - the 360 launched while the PS2 was still in full swing and many were not looking yet for a Next Gen console, whereas the launch of the PS3 and Wii pretty well signaled the end of the Last Gen and should have prodded more people to pick up a new machine.

Of course, the "align launches" trick! People need to realise that it quite simply does not have any relevence when comparing consoles in the same generation. The simple fact is currently the X360 has a 6-7 million unit lead on the PS3 and that lead is increasing (and not only that, will be very unlikely to decrease until 2008.

The situations are different. X360 launched into a void, and they had a year to get their act together. Sony does NOT have a year. They have to get their act together NOW. You can even see on that graph that the PS3 is about to dip below the 360 (not to mention the phenomenal sales of the Wii), taking this last PS3 fanboy straw away. Very soon PS3 will have the lowest sales, as well as the lowest "launch aligned" sales, the lowest software sales and the lowest rate of sales.

I would call that a losing system. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Looks like PS3 did 46,000 worldwide this week, a new low, but higher than my prediction of 43,000 for the week.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
TheSource said:

It needs to be asked.

I just wrote my analysis for this week's American data..and I can't help but wonder how much lower PS3 can get before starting to pick up again in late summer/fall. If it kept declining at this rate (3-4k) in the Americas for another 6 weeks (it won't) sales would be 0.

Sales in Japan and Europe will in all likelihood be down this week as well. I'm thinking 8k Japan, 18k Europe/Others, and the 17k already posted for the Americas - a grand total of 43,000 for the entire week - the lowest sales of any current console (Wii,360,PS3) to date.

Sales under 35,000/week are terrifying to me, but I think PS3 may dip into that zone and live to tell about it. Think of it this way - even Gamecube - which is not even produced anymore - probably does 5 or 6k per week - PS3 should do at least 10x that at all times - regardless of what it costs.

There is no way it will decrease at the same rate as it has been. I think whats happening right now is those folks who really wanted the PS3, finally saved enough to get 1 which increased the sales for the 1st 6 months (how sad is that if you think about it?). Now the PS3 is facing partial consumers who really have no alegiance to any console. This is probably what we are seeing. In other words, they launch hype period is probably over and the numbers are finally leveling off to normal.

All this can of course change if there is another hype period from a game or something but how much of an impact a game can make is hard to estimate. We will easily be able to see it once it happens. We know Halo will sell 360s but no one knows how many. If we see a steap increase in consoles sales that month then we will have an idea.

naznatips said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Gballzack said:

yeah I agree with you omgwtfbbq.  Sony isn't stupid.  They are very aware of the need for a drop and I think as soon as they can get the price down to 500 or less sales will start to pick up to a much more reasonable number.  Obviously Sony won't be getting more than 50% of the market like last generation, but they can still pull off something like 30%, which wouldn't be bad at all for a system like the PS3.  Especially when they are trying to push a new media format with it.

Part of this was also due to the slow rollout of the PS2 globally. Wasn't it nearly a year between the Japan and European launches? Sony was not about to cut price in one territory when it had just released the system in another. It could also afford to sit back because it had no competition for most of that time, and when the GCN and XB launched, they were at comparable prices with far inferior libraries and narrower fan bases. Remember the losses on consoles do not persist throughout their lifespan - after 2 years Sony almost certain had cut most of its losses on the PS2, just as MS is doingwith the 360. That game them the ability to cut price soon after the competition was launched, forcing MS and Nintendo to follow suit and possibly hurting their bottom line (almost certainly for MS).

This time, Nintendo is making a straight profit on the Wii, and MS is the one that has almost eliminated its losses, so they are both in a good position to cut prices, and Sony knows this. Whatever price cut Sony rolls out, MS and Nintendo will follow suit, so whatever benefit Sony would get would likely be marginal, so I don't see them accepting a guanteed loss of profit through console sales in order to take a shot at a slight boost in sales. I do think they have to be sweating at the idea of MS cutting price though -they too are creeping up on 2 yearswithout a cut, and the launch of HALO 3 would be an ideal time to announce a drop for all their systems. That would force Sony to follow suit, even though they won't be in a good enough financial position to do so. 

naznatips said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Gballzack said:

Part of this was also due to the slow rollout of the PS2 globally. Wasn't it nearly a year between the Japan and European launches? Sony was not about to cut price in one territory when it had just released the system in another. It could also afford to sit back because it had no competition for most of that time, and when the GCN and XB launched, they were at comparable prices with far inferior libraries and narrower fan bases. Remember the losses on consoles do not persist throughout their lifespan - after 2 years Sony almost certain had cut most of its losses on the PS2, just as MS is doingwith the 360. That game them the ability to cut price soon after the competition was launched, forcing MS and Nintendo to follow suit and possibly hurting their bottom line (almost certainly for MS).

This time, Nintendo is making a straight profit on the Wii, and MS is the one that has almost eliminated its losses, so they are both in a good position to cut prices, and Sony knows this. Whatever price cut Sony rolls out, MS and Nintendo will follow suit, so whatever benefit Sony would get would likely be marginal, so I don't see them accepting a guanteed loss of profit through console sales in order to take a shot at a slight boost in sales. I do think they have to be sweating at the idea of MS cutting price though -they too are creeping up on 2 yearswithout a cut, and the launch of HALO 3 would be an ideal time to announce a drop for all their systems. That would force Sony to follow suit, even though they won't be in a good enough financial position to do so. 

If Sony isn't stupid then its a only a fraction of their people who fit that in trying to right the wrongs of those of those who resulted in this mess. CEOs are yelling at CEOs, the company trying to keep certain people quiet, others stepping down like the guy who designed the PS3. Its honestly hard to say whether they're stupid or not, perhaps more arrogant than anything.

it will be funny to see, how people will shut up after E3 show in July. =))) only 6 weeks left.. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far