By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales - how low will they go before picking up?

To be fair PS3 went up in Japan this week. Could be "dead cat bounce" (google it if you don't know) but it could be that it's off the bottom. One week only of course, but software sales were bad so it wasn't a killer game.

Around the Network

I'm thinking it could be retailer discounting. Just pure speculation on my part, but if I was a retailer and they didn't sell after Golden Week, I'd be desperate to get rid of them to the point of selling them at a loss.

Gballzack said:
funny how every game exclusive to the PS3 warrents listing, I guess they'll all be awesome system sellers like Resistance, Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5 right? How can you stand having so much unsubstantiated awesome packed into one system?

i like JRPG, both system x360(after 1,5 year) and PS3 (after 0,5 year) don`t have any really good JRPG.

So, people like me, won`t be interested in nextgen console, till atleast 3 good jrpgs are released. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Aren't they already selling at a loss in Japan? Or, due to less shipping costs and such, is the difference made up? I think the PS3 has found it's leveling out circa 8k. So, what's the floor for NA sales?

Edit: Post 400. Wo0t! 

HappySqurriel said:
Gballzack said:
funny how every game exclusive to the PS3 warrents listing, I guess they'll all be awesome system sellers like Resistance, Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5 right?

This is actually something I noticed with XBox fanboys back when it was first released ...

Every game that had a screenshot that didn't look too bad was instantly the "bestest game in the genre." So many games were hyped and turned out to be pretty average or bad. Sony and Nintendo fans (at the time) stuck with mostly tried and true games and developers and did not let themselves get swayed as much by PR hype.

... The interesting thing is that this has become a trait of a lot of PS3 fans lately and it makes me wonder whether this is a quality of "Graphics Whores" or if it is just the fanboy defence to having a limited number of well known exclusives.

What? The ps3 has more proven exclusives coming to it compared to any other system, that's why people list them and say hey things will get better in the future.

Around the Network
blowfish said:
HappySqurriel said:
Gballzack said:
funny how every game exclusive to the PS3 warrents listing, I guess they'll all be awesome system sellers like Resistance, Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5 right?

This is actually something I noticed with XBox fanboys back when it was first released ...

Every game that had a screenshot that didn't look too bad was instantly the "bestest game in the genre." So many games were hyped and turned out to be pretty average or bad. Sony and Nintendo fans (at the time) stuck with mostly tried and true games and developers and did not let themselves get swayed as much by PR hype.

... The interesting thing is that this has become a trait of a lot of PS3 fans lately and it makes me wonder whether this is a quality of "Graphics Whores" or if it is just the fanboy defence to having a limited number of well known exclusives.

What? The ps3 has more proven exclusives coming to it compared to any other system, that's why people list them and say hey things will get better in the future.

Possibly, but if you read the lists they tend to include unproven games, unannounced games, rumored games, and games that won't be released for 18 months to 2 years. I could create a game list this second that included titles like "Boogie, Pilot Wings Wii, Disaster: Day of Crysis, Zelda: Wii (2008)" but it would demonstrate nothing

and what you awant to demonstrate ? MGS4 FFXIII Tekken6 Kingdom hearts 3 KillZone2 Heavenly Sword Ninja Gaiden Sigma Lair Uncharted Ratchet LittleBigPlanet MotorStorm White Knight Story Gran Turismo 5 Team Ico Project The Getaway 3 Resistance Eye of Judgment L.A. Noire Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier Afrika Folklore Monster Hunter 3 Ni-Oh WipEout Gradius WarHawk Formula one Socom4 WarDevil: Enigma 8 days Espionage MMO Whimsical MMO Hot Shots Golf 5 thatgamecompany Two Unknown Titles how many games in % of this list won`t come till May 2008 ?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan, your asserted claims are little more than your own opinion guised in hype and your games list shows games: Already released, Unnanounced, Unknown or Speculated. These are the same games that have plastered all over this forum in rampant speculation and they still hold little proof of both being good and timely for your claims of E3's domination and the PS3's phenomenal success. Its your claim vs someone elses so stop acting like you have inarguable facts on your side.