By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales - how low will they go before picking up?

a.l.e.x59 said:
They better be better on the Playstation 3. It has Blu-Ray for crying out loud.

I hope they do take advantage of Blu-Ray on MGS4... Because if they don't, I don't think anyone else will (other than using the space for duplicating the game data in order to account for the slowness of the Blu-Ray drive, as other developers have done so far). I also wonder how that game can be profitable if it's a PS3 exclusive.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

I hope they do take advantage of Blu-Ray on MGS4... Because if they don't, I don't think anyone else will (other than using the space for duplicating the game data in order to account for the slowness of the Blu-Ray drive, as other developers have done so far). I also wonder how that game can be profitable if it's a PS3 exclusive.

Only Oblivion developers have duplicated data on ps3 AND on x360. So, if game have not enough speed on blu-ray, it`s most likely, will have not enough speed on dvd.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

HappySqurriel said:
Blue3 said:
when was the last good game release.... March ? NGS and Folksoul are being relesed in first half of june in Japan.
CrazzyMan said:
NO GAMES - NO SALES. It`s simple.

It is simple ...

As a console manufacturer one of your primary responsibilities towards third party publishers is to ensure that an adequate number of games is released in order to maintain an adequate level of sales. It should have been obvious to everyone that in order to maintain a decent level of sales on a $600 gaming machine you would need several high quality games released every month; since third party publishers would be reluctant to produce these games for a new platform it was Sony's job to provide content. Why hasn't Sony released 2 major games a month in order to ensure the future of the PS3?

The truth is that Sony's hubris lead them to believe that they really would sell 5 Million consoles without any games ...

I didn't really believe this at first but I'm starting to now.  Although there is the CHANCE for some of the games that omgwtfbbq listed to be good, there is certainly no garuntee at all.  All you know wabout the games is what you have seen in tiny 2 minute videos.  Certainly not enough to suddenly call them system sellers.  And people are right, every franchise has to start somewhere, but a starting franchise is not likely to sell a system.  It's too unknown and too new.  Sony released the PS3 a year too early.  They released it before 3rd party developers had the games ready that the system needed to be maintained, and they did it just to keep up with Nintendo.   Believe it or not, it's not Nintendo that's treating 3rd party developers like crap this generation.  Sony has outright refused to offer the necessary benefits to 3rd parties keep games exclusive (such as subsidized advertising), and with so few PS3 owners developers just don't want to risk it anymore.  You know you are screwing up when you are seeing more 3rd party support for Nintendo than for your system. 

They released a system at a price point that depends on having at least one good game a month, but they made it so difficult to develop for that it takes an average of 3 years to make a PS3 game, and that's a half-assed one.  Now, because of this and their early release, it's not garunteed there will even be ONE good exclusive game for the PS3 this year (though GTAIV will help).

That said, I don't think the PS3 is dead this generation.   I just think they REALLY need a price cut this year to compensate for the lack of quality games.

CrazzyMan said:
NJ5 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

Only Oblivion developers have duplicated data on ps3 AND on x360. So, if game have not enough speed on blu-ray, it`s most likely, will have not enough speed on dvd.

Do you have any sources saying that? I'd be interested to read on that, and haven't succeeded in finding anything in a short trip to google I just did.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
CrazzyMan said:
NJ5 said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

Do you have any sources saying that? I'd be interested to read on that, and haven't succeeded in finding anything in a short trip to google I just did.

try this -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=ru&q=oblivion+data+cache+360&lr =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Bodhesatva said:
yuda398 said:
TheSource said:

Sales in Japan and Europe will in all likelihood be down this week as well. I'm thinking 8k Japan, 18k Europe/Others, and the 17k already posted for the Americas - a grand total of 43,000 for the entire week - the lowest sales of any current console (Wii,360,PS3) to date.

I think that in Europe it will pick up this week.

specially in the U.K after the successful gamers day.

Any reason why you think it will pick up this week? Gamer's day was over a week ago already: if there was any pickup, it would be visible by now. Unless you think people saved all their excitement for two weeks after the event. Are there any games coming out this week? Or do you have some other reason to expect boosts in sales?

Personally, I think we're looking at another month or so of steadily declining sales, until significant releases arrive again.

It's just another instance of the "now, the PS3 sales surge/increase/craze starts now!"... I don't even comment on those anymore, it's just a waste of time.

I was wrong, so what?!

why do you need to be so rude?

I think it won't be until fall till sales really pick up. A promising Q3 and Q4 lineup coupled with a price cut down to $500 (which really does have to happen this year) could give the sales a significant boost. It will still be a fourth place console this holiday season (behind the Wii, 360 and PS2) but at least it would be closer on a monthly basis. 2008 is really going to be the critical year for the PS3, but by the end of this year it gradually increasing sales on a monthly basis.

specially in the U.K after the successful gamers day. I remember the same thing said after GDC with LBP ans Home´s unveiling.

Yes this thread was seriously derailed. In fact I would take a lowball estimate on how low they can go. They keep sinking no matter what. Killer games are, imho, massively overrated in terms of moving systems. I wouldn't be amazed to see PS3 under 5K in Japan and just over 10K in America. However, I'd like to be more positive and think what could get things going again. And what is massively underrated is word of mouth. Obviously Sony is not getting good word of mouth or people would be buying it. In lieu of IWantAPS3ForIndependenceDay.com, I don't know what they can do. Maybe get out an early demo of little big planet or something, maybe some classic PS1 games to download for free or something. And the other thing underrated is ... "Have you ever even heard of BluRay ... It's the FUTURE!" Well that's what Sony thinks. The PS3 will not be the cheapest good BluRay player for long. Maybe they should push big on the HD early adopter market more than they have. Just thinking aloud and I'm a Wiiboy. But trying to think of how to get the PS3 out of its current hole. Rather than bait and troll. Oh, and when I see a PS3 in action I am AMAZED by how good it looks. So how did Sony manage to make such a mess so far?

I want to clarify one point from my last post. I think Killer games can move systems. But I think that far fewer games are killer games than people like to think.