By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Quantity of games per year and per system with exclusives as well (according to Wikipedia)

Which was your favorite time period for gaming ?

5th generation (1993 - 2000) 9 25.71%

6th generation (2000 - 2006) 9 25.71%

7th generation (2006 - 2013) 7 20.00%

8th generation (2013 - 2020) 5 14.29%

9th generation (2020 - now) 5 14.29%

Total:35
LegitHyperbole said:

Not an attack on you, just the process as a whole, indeed it's not your fault that the task is impossible or would take months of work to parse out and one hell of a headache and even then PS3, 360 and Wii numbers will never be accurate. 

We can't even be sure about the other systems as well (even the older ones) as we don't know exactly how they are calculated and if there are no missing ones for one reason or another. We have platforms like 3DS, Wii U, Vita, PSP too, and of course the most impossible of all the PC.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Around the Network

Probably not complete, but MobyGames has 285k games in its database so far:

https://www.mobygames.com/platform/

Last edited by Conina - 4 days ago

Do you all want me to do Moby chart ? Do you take it as legit enough ?

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

XtremeBG said:

Do you all want me to do Moby chart ? Do you take it as legit enough ?

I'd believe it more than Wiki, it lines up close enough to the store numbers for the Eshop and PS store concerning PS4 while it's under tracking PS5 games a bit and take Xbox on faith along with PC and it's under tracked PS2 games also. But it is CONSIDERABLY closer to to the truth that Wiki from what I can see. Perhaps make two different charts for both Wiki and Moby. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - 4 days ago

LegitHyperbole said:

I'd believe it more than Wiki, it lines up close enough to the store numbers for the Eshop and PS store concerning PS4 while it's under tracking PS5 games a bit and take Xbox on faith along with PC and it's under tracked PS2 games also. But it is CONSIDERABLY closer to to the truth that Wiki from what I can see. Perhaps make two different charts for both Wiki and Moby. 

You mean to take the highest numbers of games, from whoever source, and make a combined chart, with the most highest possible numbers for every year and system ?

Last edited by XtremeBG - 4 days ago

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
LegitHyperbole said:

You mean to take the highest numbers of games, from whoever source, and make a combined chart, with the most highest possible numbers for every year and system ?

Well no. Just do a Moby chart as a second source, again the numbers are off but with no way to know how they track games there could be reason for the low PS5 numbers compared to the store listings. Do what ya will but in my view Mobs numbers are more accurate to the reality post digital age and slightly off pre digital age. Wiki is more accurate to pre digital age and is wildly off post digital age. If I were to be charting this I'd take wiki numbers up till 2013 and then go with Moby numbers after that but as you siad you won't chart with two different sources.  

LegitHyperbole said:

Well no. Just do a Moby chart as a second source, again the numbers are off but with no way to know how they track games there could be reason for the low PS5 numbers compared to the store listings. Do what ya will but in my view Mobs numbers are more accurate to the reality post digital age and slightly off pre digital age. Wiki is more accurate to pre digital age and is wildly off post digital age. If I were to be charting this I'd take wiki numbers up till 2013 and then go with Moby numbers after that but as you siad you won't chart with two different sources.  

If their number for pre digital era and after digital era, are logical and not too far off, I can do combined chart, it's not a problem.

XtremeBG said:
LegitHyperbole said:

If their number for pre digital era and after digital era, are logical and not too far off, I can do combined chart, it's not a problem.

Seems the most logical to me. I'd consult Conina above, he's very statistally minded.

@LegitHyperbole Here it is .. I doubt how XBSX will have more games than PS5 .. So I can't still trust Moby, ahead of Wikipedia. But there is the chart. I've put the biggest numbers from whatever the source from the two for each system. And no, I don't need consulting anyone, I have enough of a statistical and analytical thinking and some 4 years experience here with charts and comparisons, which you can take a look by the way, in my sign.

Last edited by XtremeBG - 2 days ago

It won't allow me to quote but yeah, that looks far more legit than the one in the OP. I'd say the ps5 numbers are higher indeed. I've been scrolling through the all games tabs on PSN and Switch and there are thousands indeed. There is so many on Switch it's unbelievable that people are actually buying these games in significant numbers to warrant porting them onto the system.