By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money is Sony losing over these GaaS failures?

Concord...

Will release Free to play 10 37.04%

Stay dead 17 62.96%

Total:27
pokoko said:

What world are people living in where "gamers don't want GaaS"?

I keep seeing this repeated over and over and then I go to Steam see games killing it and making tons of money long, long after they're already paid for. Goodness, Sea of Thieves sure crashed hard on Playstation, huh? And that bomb, Helldivers 2. And Palword, and Ark, and The First Descendant doing well despite "the crowded marketplace". Deep Rock Galactic has sold over 8 million copies plus being on Game Pass.

Many, MANY gamers CLEARLY play GaaS titles.

Sony should have cut their losses with this game YEARS ago, even if it had been a single player title. The lesson here isn't to stop investing in GaaS, it's to stop investing in bad games.

I honestly only laugh when read this kind of thing. Gamers are the most delusional crowd of fans of any entertainment media I follow. People LOVE live services. Most of people like the familiarity of understanding the game mechanics and even more so interacting with other players instead of playing by themselves

Most of people don't have patience, time or interest in trying new games. If this industry was geared towards new ways of playing we would not have the same IPs from the 80s selling so much. What's the difference in playing every FIFA released every year and playing a game as service anyways? 

I don't play live services but I'm the ONLY gamer in my circle of friends who don't play any of them. All the others, my family, my boyfriend, my coworkers, all play at least one game as service

Around the Network

I hope a lot

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Seen another figure for Concord at 250 million. Seems a bit high but it is 8 years with CGI weekly episodes.

No mans sky and ff14 were horrible at launch. Yet they managed to turn the ship around. I honestly don't know what to hope for here. But these two games sold well initially and were perceived as high profile with the ff-ip or super new with the vastness of no mans sky. Concord has not really anything going for it.

Not enough for them to re-consider unfortunately.

Around the Network

Sony probably only expects 3 out of 10 GAAS games to be profitable and maybe one to break even. The hits pay for the flops. That's how it is in a hits driven business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

JuliusHackebeil said:

No mans sky and ff14 were horrible at launch. Yet they managed to turn the ship around. I honestly don't know what to hope for here. But these two games sold well initially and were perceived as high profile with the ff-ip or super new with the vastness of no mans sky. Concord has not really anything going for it.

Yep. I played No man's Sky at launch and it was a good game just bare bones, I was happy with my purchase. Ff14 had a lot of players before 1.0. You can still see the videos of crowds coming out on servers to see the calamity happen before they shut down down to build A realm reborn. 

JuliusHackebeil said:

NMS Sky promised something unique and people were hyped for it. (personally never understood the hype as I kept asking ok I can go anywhere but do what? They never said so I never cared) FF14 is one of the most beloved IPs ever so people are always giving FF another chance even tho 13,15,16 are duds. They also had appealing aesthetics from the FF universe to a colorful universe. Concord has nothing that appeals to anyone. They would pretty much have to remake the entire game and redesign every character and rewrite them. FF can do that. Sony's not going to do that for a now-failed studio's first project that failed. If this were The last of Us online MP game and it was full of problems. Then Sony would try and rework it to save it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

NMS Sky promised something unique and people were hyped for it. (personally never understood the hype as I kept asking ok I can go anywhere but do what? They never said so I never cared) FF14 is one of the most beloved IPs ever so people are always giving FF another chance even tho 13,15,16 are duds. They also had appealing aesthetics from the FF universe to a colorful universe. Concord has nothing that appeals to anyone. They would pretty much have to remake the entire game and redesign every character and rewrite them. FF can do that. Sony's not going to do that for a now-failed studio's first project that failed. If this were The last of Us online MP game and it was full of problems. Then Sony would try and rework it to save it.

Totally agreed hoever ps plus is a possibility cause they done it with Drawn to death and Starblood arena but like you said they'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up, they couldn't even get people to play the BETA. Game is dead and they're gonna seal the coffin shut cause they've learned this before. If they stick it on PS plus it'll do the same as drawn to death and not recover and people will complain it's a bad PS plus month.