By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?

Radek said:
Chrkeller said:

I actually think 12 gb is a bit too low.  Steam Deck is 16 gb.  Rog Ally X is 24 gb.  People point out GPUs that are 8 to 12 gb, but computers also have additional system ram (usually 16-32 gb).  The series S is often highlighted as being 10 gb, but comparative to the Switch 2, it has literally 2x the memory bandwidth, in a broad/generic/illustrative way the Series S versus Switch 2 is 20 gb versus 12 gb.  

I'm rambling a bit, but 12 gb is meh.  I am hoping the rumors are wrong and it is 16 gb.  

Series S only has 8 GB for games, Switch 2 will have at least 10 GB for games (2 GB for system) it will be enough for sure. 16 GB sounds way too optimistic.

vram runs on two different aspects.  Amount and bandwidth.  the series S is 224 gb/s, the switch 2 at max performance is 112 gb/s.  8 gb at 224 gb/s is substantially better at gaming than 10 gb at 112 gb/s.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Hiku said:
HoloDust said:

Technically speaking, I think yes - if anything, Hogwarts Legacy running on Switch is proof that if you strip the game down enough, it can run on quite weak hardware. Switch 2 being significant step up (presumably) from Switch should handle ports just fine.

But that part has always seemingly been the main issue. The extra development that goes into making the games function in an acceptable way. If it's just a matter of "turning down sliders" then there should be no problem. Eiyuden Chronicles developer cited the reason for a Switch port being difficult is that the different coding language essentially means they have to re-code the entire game. Presumably its a mix of coding and performance adjustments that turned third party publishers off. Because Switch 2 should still be ARM based. But perhaps there are better toold today for translating the code.

When it comes to performance balancing, Switch 2 should be in a better position than Switch 1 was because there are tools and shortcuts to help with that today, such as DLSS.

I honestly don't know anything about how difficult is to translate CPU code from X86 to ARM - but from the amount of games on Switch, that are also on Steam, I'm guessing it's not THAT difficult.

Sure, it's always easier to have the same code and just turn the sliders down. And then there's CoDs on Wii, and especially Star Wars: Force Unleashed on Wii, which had another studio making it from the ground up - it's projection of ROI that will decide in the end (CoDs and SW:FU sold really good).

Chrkeller said:
Radek said:

Series S only has 8 GB for games, Switch 2 will have at least 10 GB for games (2 GB for system) it will be enough for sure. 16 GB sounds way too optimistic.

vram runs on two different aspects.  Amount and bandwidth.  the series S is 224 gb/s, the switch 2 at max performance is 112 gb/s.  8 gb at 224 gb/s is substantially better at gaming than 10 gb at 112 gb/s.  

Ok I see your point, but look how many ports Switch 1 got despite having only 4 GB at 25 GB/s. 12 GB at 112 GB/s will be miles ahead by comparison

Radek said:
Chrkeller said:

Ok I see your point, but look how many ports Switch 1 got despite having only 4 GB at 25 GB/s. 12 GB at 112 GB/s will be miles ahead by comparison

100% agreed.  I think the switch was way outside "sliders" for modern games, which made ports difficult.  However the switch 2 is closing that gap.  I fully expect the switch 2 to get way more ports.  The switch 2 is going to be a massive upgrade and first party titles are going to look amazing.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Radek said:

I think Switch 2 will be getting vast majority of third party games. Of course DLSS will be doing a lot to save image quality, and 12 GB of RAM will be plenty to make sure games don't run out of memory.

I actually think 12 gb is a bit too low.  Steam Deck is 16 gb.  Rog Ally X is 24 gb.  People point out GPUs that are 8 to 12 gb, but computers also have additional system ram (usually 16-32 gb), and the vram is way higher in memory bandwidth (3050 is 2x what the switch 2 will be + system ram).  The series S is often highlighted as being 10 gb, but comparative to the Switch 2, it has literally 2x the memory bandwidth, in a broad/generic/illustrative way the Series S versus Switch 2 is 20 gb versus 12 gb.  

I'm rambling a bit, but 12 gb is meh.  I am hoping the rumors are wrong and it is 16 gb.  

The big thing people seems to miss in the Switch 2 versus PC Handheld comparison is that games aren't built specifically for the latter. They are PC games first and foremost. Switch 2 games will be built specifically for the platform. They will have a level optimization not possible on games running on a Steam Deck or Rog Ally X. It's why I feel having more than one configuration for a console (Xbox Series X and Series S) undermines the key strength of the platform. A fixed box in which every user has identical specs which allows developers to code for it's exact hardware. It's why there are games that work on the Switch that you'd think have no business running on the system.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Chrkeller said:

I actually think 12 gb is a bit too low.  Steam Deck is 16 gb.  Rog Ally X is 24 gb.  People point out GPUs that are 8 to 12 gb, but computers also have additional system ram (usually 16-32 gb), and the vram is way higher in memory bandwidth (3050 is 2x what the switch 2 will be + system ram).  The series S is often highlighted as being 10 gb, but comparative to the Switch 2, it has literally 2x the memory bandwidth, in a broad/generic/illustrative way the Series S versus Switch 2 is 20 gb versus 12 gb.  

The big thing people seems to miss in the Switch 2 versus PC Handheld comparison is that games aren't built specifically for the latter. They are PC games first and foremost. Switch 2 games will be built specifically for the platform. They will have a level optimization not possible on games running on a Steam Deck or Rog Ally X. It's why I feel having more than one configuration for a console (Xbox Series X and Series S) undermines the key strength of the platform. A fixed box in which every user has identical specs which allows developers to code for it's exact hardware. It's why there are games that work on the Switch that you'd think have no business running on the system.

No doubt that will be true for 1st party games.  But for third party games?  I don't see third party building games specifically for the S2.  Games will be built for Xbox, ps5 and PC.  

I can't fathom Capcom making Wilds, SF7 and RE9 based on S2 specifications.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Darc Requiem said:

No doubt that will be true for 1st party games.  But for third party games?  I don't see third party building games specifically for the S2.  Games will be built for Xbox, ps5 and PC.  

But that's what devs did for Switch. Why we had some impossible ports. If Switch 2 sells nearly as well as Switch 1. Devs won't avoid money and with Nintendo now owning a port studio they may pay for some of those ports. Nintendo paid for the distribution of Wolfenstein II.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Not all no but it'll for sure get more than the current Switch has gotten one major reason being developers will be on board with it from launch this time. It getting COD alone is a huge advantage compared to the Switch 1.

Chrkeller said:
Darc Requiem said:

That's exactly why there were no 3rd party exclusives or timed exclusives on the Switch ... 

Oh wait. There is. A good amount in fact. MH Rise, Square Enix HD 2D games in general, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, SMT V, etc ... We're all made with the Switch platform as the starting point to which other eventual versions were based on. 

Mentioning that, you best bet Capcom 2nd MH team is working on the next timed exclusive MH game for the Switch successor most likely. And whatnot other deals Nintendo might have done with other publishers in the meantime. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Chrkeller said:
Darc Requiem said:

Capcom built a third-party game specifically for the Switch: Monster Hunter Rise. Assuming the S2 doesn't get Wilds, why wouldn't get the equivalent of what Rise was for Switch?

If I was Capcom, I would strongly consider making Switch 2 the console I build Street Fighter 7 around. It's in 2D, and the art direction is more stylized than the 3D fighters and Mortal Kombat's chase for absolute realism. That lends itself better to the Switch than something like Tekken or DoA would. I think the idea of being able to practice or get a few matches in away from home lends itself well to a fighter as well. As long as the fps is at least 60 and stable, and the netcode for the game (and the console) are on point, why not? Heck, if it starts with the Switch and then is ported up, that opens up the possibility for crossplay moreso than porting it down, because then other consoles and PC aren't telling the Switch "Get on our level or GTFO".