By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The most difficult genre to master the skill of.

Most difficult to master...

Rythym games 4 12.50%

FPS shooters 2 6.25%

Bullet Hell 7 21.88%

Soulsborne/action 2 6.25%

Racing sim 2 6.25%

Platformers 1 3.13%

Fighting games 6 18.75%

RTS games 8 25.00%

Total:32
The Fury said:

Thing with fighting games and why I'd say it's that is to me, especially some modern ones, much of the perfect combos are sequence button inputs perfectly timed, sometimes frame perfect and executed in the form of a rhythm game but you have to also out maneuver, block and counter an enemy at the same time.

Yeah, I suppose they do take from the rythym genre like Sekiro does. Perhaps they are the one genre but I can't even tell what high level players are doing in those games to know for sure. But that being said, Sim racing also has Manuel gearing which is wildly difficult to master while you're racing for millisecond times on tracks. 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 20 August 2024

Around the Network

Action would be the most difficult for me. Is that counted under "Soulsbourne Action"?

Easiest would be RPGs, strategy games, and sandbox simulators - Dwarf Fortress has the reputation of being one of the most difficult games to learn, but it's actually very simple if you start by isolating the basic survival mechanics and work out. You can probably master the game in 8 hours. Most strategy and RPGs are even simpler than that. RPGs, IMO, are the easiest genre - even action RPGs like Witcher 3 are quite easy on the highest difficulty levels (Witcher 3 Death March is only slightly more difficult than the basic difficulty), it's just a matter of character setup and understanding the mechanics. I also love these games :)

Next to easiest
Moderate: Platformer, fighters, racers. But, again, these depend on the game. Some will be easy to master in about 2-8 hours, but many take around 20 hours to master.

Moderate: Puzzle, I find these take quite a while to master, and even then you can improve an even more. 30-50 hours to master?

Hard: Action games, particularly older ones from the 80s and 90s. Some of these are insane! Ghosts and Goblins, FUCK that game :)
It's been 30+ fucking years and I still am nowhere near mastering it!
Or how about Fantastic 4 on Playstation?
Of course, there are many many exceptions, Turtles in Time was quite easy, for example.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 20 August 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

spurgeonryan said:

For me it is RPG games or games that run off statistics. It is always just beyond me anyways, so it makes it hard to figure out, even if I play a lot. I get what moves are better after a while, but could not tell you the exact stat as to why.

Hmm, this is more knowledge based than skill based, you can easily learn. I doubt it would take 10,000 hours of researching and playing these games to become a master at them. I have 2500 hours in FF14, I had it mastered in the first 500 hours. 

Personally platformers, rhythm and fighting games are the hardest for me.
I haven't really played souls-likes, but from general action I don't think they'd be the hardest genre for me.
In FPS, tactical shooters are more a problem, something I haven't played much.

Grand Strategy games.

You give someone Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron without dedicating the next 100 hours to explaining how the games work, they’re immediately giving up lol

Around the Network

You definitely need skill for any game, and a skill can be anything really. My skills are not RPG games and Statistical games. Heck, I have played a War game on mobile for the past 6 years since leaving vgchartz. No idea how it works, other than some marches kill others. Still play it, slowly learning. My other skills, which are few have made either where I am still successful, but would be so much more if I could just work on the skills I struggle with.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

You're missing RTS. Probably that since it has the most moving pieces. Otherwise I'd say bullet hell and platformers, there are certainly some games in those genres that makes soulsborne look like a cakewalk (though ofc the average platformer is very accessible).

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

G2ThaUNiT said:

Grand Strategy games.

You give someone Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron without dedicating the next 100 hours to explaining how the games work, they’re immediately giving up lol

True. Didn't even consider them. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:

You're missing RTS. Probably that since it has the most moving pieces. Otherwise I'd say bullet hell and platformers, there are certainly some games in those genres that makes soulsborne look like a cakewalk (though ofc the average platformer is very accessible).

Updated poll. Anything else I'm missing?

UnderwaterFunktown said:

RTS was my first thought.

The skills needed to be good at Real time strategy is in its own league. You need reflexes like action games, individual and multiunit control, great game plan strategy - to be changed with new info, mouse precision handling like FPS as well as sick multitasking ability. To be competitive in RTS demands a lot from the mind.