By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo home console had the worst twilight years (post SNES)?

After the Super Nintendo, Nintendo's home consoles had a tendency to struggle with going out gracefully. Whether that be Nintendo shifting development resources to the next gen system very early, leaving the last few years pretty dry. The lack of substantial third party support that amplifies the problem. Or declining sales and user interest in these platforms compared to other consoles during their time. Nintendo's home gaming platforms have had pretty barren final years.

But, which one had the absolute driest twilight years?...

While the Nintendo 64 was notorious for its lengthy game droughts that seemed to get worse as they went on, the console still had some notable bangers in 2000, such as Perfect Dark, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, Banjo Tooie, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. 2001 meanwhile had Paper Mario, Conker's Bad Fur Day and... uh... Dr. Mario 64? Yeah the N64 kind of faded out anti-climactically in 2001.

The Nintendo GameCube was at its lowest point in 2005. It's only real third party exclusive of the year, Resident Evil 4, was now only a timed exclusive (coming to PlayStation 2 later that Fall). Many big third party games that were comming to rival consoles, were now just skiping the GameCube, and Microsoft had kickstarted the next generation early with the launch of the Xbox 360. Meanwhile, besides some cult hits like Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, and Super Mario Strikers, Nintendo didn't really have much noteworthy for its troubled square. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was once again delayed, now comming to the then codenamed Revolution, and other Nintendo games that year were pretty mid (Star Fox Assault and Geist being the most notable examples). The only Nintendo games that came out in 2006 for the GameCube were Chibi-Robo, And Baiten Kaitos Origins... Yup.

The Wii in 2011 had seen much of its core audience flee to rival platforms including Xbox 360 thanks to Kinect, and especially smartphones and tablets. And besides The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Nintendo offered pretty much nothing of interest to the remaining "core gamer" Wii owners. Especially frustraiting when there were games they could've released in North America. Operation Rainfall, the fabled fan-campain to preasure Nintendo of America to release three high quality Wii RPGs in the US. Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower. Thankfully 2012 saw the first two games release here, which also had Rhythm Heaven Fever and... That's basically it.

The Wii U was gasping for air in 2015. Some of Nintendo's worst games of all time headlined the Fall lineup with Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, and Devil's Third. Splatoon and Super Mario Maker finally showed the Wii U GamePad's potential, but by that point, it was too little, too late. Despite that, 2015 still had some solid games including Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and Xenoblade Chronicles X. 2016 however... Well, you had Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE... and The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD... and Star Fox Zero...

Fortunately, it seems like the Nintendo Switch is looking to break this curse thanks to inhereting Nintendo's handheld DNA. 2023 will go down as one of the Switch's greatest years. With games like Fire Emblem Engage, Pikmin 4, Advance Wars 1+2 ReBoot Camp, Metroid Prime Remastered, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder among others. And while the first half of 2024 was fairly heavy on the remake/remaster/DLC variety with games like Another Code Recollections, Splatoon 3 Side Order, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, it's still preferable to the months of nothing that defined Nintendo consoles of the past, with Fall housing Emio The Smiling Man - Famicom Detective Club, Mario & Luigi Brothership, The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, and more to come in 2025 headlined by the long-delayed Metroid Prime 4: Beyond.

Last edited by TheMisterManGuy - on 02 August 2024

Around the Network

The Wii U for sure. But then again it felt like it was in its twilight years since launch.

Wii U.
I got one shortly after MK8 launched in May 2014, and after Super Mario Maker in September 2015, the Wii U was even more sad than normal. After that, Minecraft (in December) and BOTW with the launch of Switch were the only notable releases for the rest of the life really.
Pokken, Color Splash, Star Fox Zero and the like were not commercial, mainstream critic, or player favorites.
Wii U feels like the platform Nintendo was putting to bed the earliest. E3 2015 was the point of no return where it was clear the future of Wii U was a low priority for Nintendo compared to 3DS and the upcoming NX. E3 1999 and E3 2004 still promised very exciting futures for N64 and GCN respectively.
N64 had droughts on par with Wii U (at least excluding Wii U digital-only titles) at times, and GameCube was pretty dry in terms of titles in general after 2005, if not early 2005 like you mentioned after RE4.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wii U got BoTW as a send off so it ended fine. In 2016 is had the excellent RPG in Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. N64 got sent off with a Tony Hawk clone in Razor Freestyle Scooter as a game that came out about the same time as Gamecube. Tho the final game on N64 was Tony Hawk 3. All the TH games on N64 were awful versions being N64's carts. Gamecube ended on Madden 08 which was a good version of that series. Gamecube had RE4 and Zelda TP as the last big series.

So it's N64. A bad Tony Hawk Clone and a bad version of a Tony Hawk game.

Last edited by Leynos - on 02 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The WiiU last year is .... Something to behold, like I'm amongst the few one I guess who got to enjoy at least Star Fox Zero and Paper Mario Color Splash and #FE Tokyo Mirage Sessions so it didn't feel like such a bad year but I'll understand the people who do feel like it was a waste.

I'd argue the Wii was in a more abyssal state overall before the WiiU launch software wise than the WiiU was considering it ended on the highest note possible with BOTW.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Wii U, if for nothing else that they had to release Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival to cover the holes in their schedule.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

KLXVER said:

The Wii U for sure. But then again it felt like it was in its twilight years since launch.

^ This. It helped launch Splatoon, but that was pretty much it.

It do be the WiiU

Having helped nurse the Wii U in its last days, buying every digital game that came out for it, and posting about it here till the end, I can say the Wii U.

Nintendo did it bad, I was so disappointed in how they tested the Wii U.

But I forgave them and bought a second Wii U from half priced books so I can play it for years to come.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

How exactly are we defining "Twilight Years?" The last 2 years before a successor launches and any support afterwards?