By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best part of 9th Gen consoles so far?

9th Gen (not counting switch) is...

Essential 1 3.33%

A good upgrade 8 26.67%

A poor upgrade 6 20.00%

Inessential 12 40.00%

No opinion. 3 10.00%

Total:30
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It won't in large part, it'll shift jobs around, disrupt them as they say. Developers will still be needed, artists will still be needed. We'll... I suppose it will take QA testers jobs and that but that's the price of advancing tech. Cars took horse handlers jobs. The printing press took scribes jobs. Phone routing tech took woman computer jobs. And so on and so on. Disruption is the price of progress in technology.  How many people worked in coal mines or as whalers for candle oil only to have land oil drills make there jobs redundant or so much less important. 

https://archive.is/pEW2S

No AI bullshit. Artists should be artists and voice actors should be voice actors. Writers should be writers. Fuck all the layoffs. FUCK AI BULLSHIT.

Okay. There will likely be laws against AI scraping anyway. No need to get roudy, we don't know what the future holds. 

Around the Network

Every time I watch gameplay from PS5/XBX, the thought of "I cannot distinguish this from last gen at all" comes to mind. I just don't see anything that wasn't possible with last gen hardware, Switch nonwithstanding. Hell, indies have never been bigger, while AAA is either struggling or purposefully not pushing the hardware to its fullest to save costs. The only title I expect to trully use current gen's hardware is GTA 6, and at this point I'm not sure how they are going to go about it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

G2ThaUNiT said:
zeldaring said:

I don't mind it as long we keep getting quality games. For example astrobot was great and yea it was nextgen experiance cause of the controller use was like nothing i have experianced before but i still had more fun as with elden ring and RE4 remake so its not that big deal. Creativity is great but being a fun game is just a important. 

As for nintendo they  really got creative for i guess zelda, other then that labo and motion control stuff that i dont care about, but most of their franchises are still the  just upgraded versions just like everyone else is in the industry. To be frank VR was suppose to be the OMG I'VE SEEN WHAT THE FUTURE LOOKS LIKE but no one cared.

That's fair, but it also goes along with my point as to how the generation has gone nearly 4 years in, Elden Ring and RE4 remake were also released on last gen systems. So getting the games on PS5 is simply a better version of a last gen title. At this point, who knows when last gen systems will finally be dropped. But I get you on a game being fun is just as important, if honestly not even more important, than a game being creative. 

We've certainly had plenty of amazing games for sure, but the excitement at the thought of a "next-gen" system has been soured compared to previous gens. 

Yeah, playing Half-Life: Alyx has really been the biggest OMG moment I've had in recent years, aside from Astro, but seeing how much of the industry has turned into primarily safe bets because of how much game development costs are these days, all in the continuous chase of bigger, grander, and more photorealistic, means VR doesn't get the necessary investment it needs to truly take off. Even a major platform holder like Sony doesn't really have many resources invested to properly support their VR headset. Not to mention the additional costs needed to play VR in the first place that's also holding it back. Less and less people have the disposable income for such an investment. That's why standalone products such as Meta Quest are always the best selling VR headsets.

I get what you mean for some of Nintendo's franchises, but I wouldn't want to discredit the emphasis on creativity and fun Nintendo still pushes. Mario, despite the many jokes of how many games Nintendo with him, put out 2 incredibly creative and fun Mario games on the Switch. Odyssey, despite being a traditional 3D platformer, added an entirely new gameplay mechanic with Mario's hat that made the familiar Mario gameplay feel fresh again. Then just last year with Mario Wonder where he quite literally is on an acid trip and the environments come to life. Nintendo took an old 2D side scrolling formula, and made it feel new again. Splatoon, a third person shooter with a very creative and fun twist to the genre that has now become a major franchise. Arms, a fighting game that added a creative twist to the genre where the players have to account for distance and abilities each fighter has. Or even Kirby and the Forgotten Land, a franchise that had never seen a proper 3D release before is able to see a straight up fun game and adds new abilities to the character we hadn't seen before.

A lot of times when it comes to developers talking about games they worked on decades ago, you'll often hear them talking about the technical limitations of the respective system for a specific game, then they'll explain how they had to come up with creative ways to get a game to work. We're now at a point where developers have all the power in the world to make whatever they want. In many ways it feels like limitations breeds creativity and innovation rather than the other way around. That may be a big reason as to why the Switch or even the Wii, despite so severely unpowered compared to the competition, were able to release such creative games with an emphasis on fun. Because they have to be. 

Kinda disagree about mario wonder and  mario odyssey. I really enjoyed both games but whats so creative about wonder flower that in every level right infront of you that changes every level for 20-30 seconds it was a gimmick and a over used one, what made wonder great to me was the 2d mario finally controlled great again  and they finally  some effort into the graphics and music, but its basically plays like a 2d mario game, nothing  revolutionary. Mario oddyssey  takes ideas that have been used in mario platformers like nemo the dream master and banjo kazio and put them in mario. Games add new moves sets and things all the time and they are better for it but it's not like something we never seen before, it's just something we never seen that franchise before like RE4 remake using parry, uncharted using a hook or last of us 2 using a dodge button it all changes the way they play. gaming has peaked and those OMG creative games are probably over, with maybe 2 or 3 per generation. Games are just taking good ideas from other games in putting them in their games and nintendo can do that the best cause of the nature of there games not being grounded in reality and how massive their franchises are.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 24 July 2024

Darwinianevolution said:

Every time I watch gameplay from PS5/XBX, the thought of "I cannot distinguish this from last gen at all" comes to mind. I just don't see anything that wasn't possible with last gen hardware, Switch nonwithstanding. Hell, indies have never been bigger, while AAA is either struggling or purposefully not pushing the hardware to its fullest to save costs. The only title I expect to trully use current gen's hardware is GTA 6, and at this point I'm not sure how they are going to go about it.

The next gen graphical games are coming, it's just that they are extremly late. Did you see the Monster Hunter wilds gameplay, watch it in 4k...

Or this...

Maybe the best example, in the environments...

Like, they ARE coming... at some point. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Darwinianevolution said:

The next gen graphical games are coming, it's just that they are extremly late. Did you see the Monster Hunter wilds gameplay, watch it in 4k...

Or this...

Yeah, but we are 4 years into PS5/XBX, and it still feels like last gen, so the "next gen is coming" is not much of a selling point, it should have been done so much earlier. Also, I kind of disagree, these all look like they'd be nearly identical in PS4 pro (that's one of the problems of mid-gen upgrades, it makes next gen kind of redundant).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

It's a good upgrade. Obviously if you feel 8th gen consoles are too slow and too low of resolutions than 9th gen consoles are essential. Most must-play games are still on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch.
For me, the SSD is the big gamechanger.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

It's a good upgrade. Obviously if you feel 8th gen consoles are too slow and too low of resolutions than 9th gen consoles are essential. Most must-play games are still on Xbox One, PS4, and Switch.
For me, the SSD is the big gamechanger.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but it's crazy to me that if your gaming like 10 plus hours a week and don't want to  upgrade your gaming hardware for a better experiance after 5-7 years, SSD plus going from 30 to 60fps makes your games look and play much  better and it really is small investment if you trade in your ps4-ps4 pro considering the upgrade will last you for 5 years easy. plus the exclusives are coming so why wait?

LegitHyperbole said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Or this...

Eh those are more of what we had before. Esp 33. That battle system is far from a new idea. These are not new ideas. Just more of what has existed. Just because one doorknob is shinier than the other doesn't make function any different. Here are some RPGs that did what 33's battle system was doing before.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah as someone who has been gaming since the 4th gen, the PS5 and Xbox Series are easily the most boring new generation in my lifetime.

The reduction in load times is nice and all, (that would be my "best part" if I had to choose) but the graphical leap over PS4/XBO is underwhelming, and 3.5 years in there's still hardly any exciting exclusives; they feel more like a second mid-gen revision of the 8th gen twins than their own generation.

You been gaming since the 4th gen but you are also someone that just doesn't care about graphics or performance.  you are also someone that skipped ps4 and xbox so  this is perplexing that you are complaining about exclusives  and graphics. Mean while if any techically demanding downgraded ps4/xbox  games come to switch you are first inline waiting to buy it, but a upgraded one on ps5 thats day 1 and cheaper is boring.

I buy my multiplats on Switch (if the port is good) mainly because I travel for work; it's easier to take my Switch with me than my PS5.

"Impossible ports" on all different hardware are also just interesting to me.

And I didn't criticize PS5/XBS graphics as a whole, but rather the generation gap; new gens used to have massive exciting leaps over anything that had gone before, but with the current gen it seems we've reached a point of diminishing returns.

I just got access to next-gen titles. I tried Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and, holy cow, that game is beautiful! I was really impressed.

I don't know if it's "essential" since people have different opinions, but for me, it was a very good upgrade.