By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Attempted assassination on Trump

BFR said:

What a lucky SOB. The bullet seems to have gone through the top part of his ear, had he turned his head he'd be dead or have one hell of a headache. 

Around the Network
EnricoPallazzo said:

Yet, this assassination attempt of Trump will most likely cause the same impact.
Whoever did this wasnt very smart. You either finish the job or give your opponent an almost certain win.

America doesn't have a history of assassination attempts particularly boosting candidates. This one might be different, because the media landscape is different. 

The little bit of information that we have is that the shooter was a registered Republican.

EricHiggin said:

Wondering what the "guns are bad" crowd is thinking about this since they seem so quiet.

This shooting is proof that guns are bad. 

Do you think this has changed their mind, for some reason? 

This won't give Trump the win. If he were a more "normal" and less controversial candidate, maybe, but this is Trump, and I think most have made up their minds at this point.

People said the same thing when he got impeached the first time (which doesn't seem like a big deal after an assassination attempt, but was a big deal at the time) and he still lost.  In other words, this changes nothing.

Last edited by Paperboy_J - on 14 July 2024

Paperboy_J said:

This won't give Trump the win. If he were a more "normal" and less controversial candidate, maybe, but this is Trump, and I think most have made up their minds at this point.

Problem is, the people who haven't done their minds yet in this case. Though sure, people had 8 years to make up their mind about him through the incessant media presence he had but I'll try to be hopeful and believe people aren't gonna put up their minds down because of this event and vote for him.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

the-pi-guy said:
EricHiggin said:

Wondering what the "guns are bad" crowd is thinking about this since they seem so quiet.

Just find it odd that typically in the case of a shooting you'd see plenty of calls for gun bans all over the place and that's not happening, so can't help but wonder why not. Better to ask then to assume.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
the-pi-guy said:

Just find it odd that typically in the case of a shooting you'd see plenty of calls for gun bans all over the place and that's not happening, so can't help but wonder why not. Better to ask then to assume.

That probably reflects this being more important from a political standpoint than a standard shooting. Most shootings don't have the same impact. 

Just to assuage your concerns: I'm on the left and my view on guns has been unaffected by this particular shooting. 

Mar1217 said:
Paperboy_J said:

Problem is, the people who haven't done their minds yet in this case. Though sure, people had 8 years to make up their mind about him through the incessant media presence he had but I'll try to be hopeful and believe people aren't gonna put up their minds down because of this event and vote for him.

If anything this hurts Trump's chances more, because people are realizing they're just sick and tired of the chaos (that Trump undoubtedly brings, whether directly or indirectly).

EricHiggin said:

It's amusing because Trump signed a ban on stock bumps back in 2017 - which the SCOTUS conservative judges struck down a month ago.

If the shooter had a stock bump on his rifle he wouldn't have missed his target from that distance. Simple as. Perhaps he didn't realize he would have been able to buy it nowadays or hadn't enough money to buy it in time.

Mar1217 said:
Paperboy_J said:

On one hand you make a good point. This likely won't change things too much, other than maybe when it comes to the undecideds in the swing states, where votes will be tight, like in PA, where the attempt took place.

It's not like it's going to make those people love or even like Trump, but some will vote for him now, and some who won't vote for him, either won't vote at all or will vote for RFK.

The bigger picture here in this case, which is the saddest part, is that if this doesn't change the election much, and Americans on both sides are that dug in, then you now have a Country who doesn't really care if you assassinate your political opponents.

Let that sink in, especially considering what the Dems and media have said about what Trump will do with a second term.

I don’t think any notable number will change their vote based on sympathy for Trump. The guy is still a convicted felon, a Russian asset, and a child rapist who is pro-hatred and bent on taking away the rights of the people.

I don’t think anyone new is going to support him, people have already made up their minds on him.

If anything loses the election, it is the fact the Democratic Party is still propping up Biden. Democratic voters don’t want Biden anymore. Unlike Trump voters, the Democratic voting base often requires mental acuity.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 14 July 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.