By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
 

Which was the better gen in your opinion?

Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP 54 68.35%
 
Wii U/PS4/XBO/3DS/Vita 25 31.65%
 
Total:79

We are talking AAA games being challenging not something made by a small indie. The reason they gave challenging mass apeal cause they actually made ones that are great and the challenge is fun and not broken. 



Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Except God of war started on the ps2 and back then had God mode.  Difficult games are not new.

And people tend to remember the most recent games.  I can assure you Sekiro isn't harder than MDK2.  

As someone who started gaming on the NES and has beaten every souls game solo at least 7 times...  games haven't gotten harder.  

Go give Actraiser 2 a play.  Check out Contra 3 on the hardest difficulty.  

Jak isn't an easy game, another ps2 title from Naughty Dog.  

The old armored core games are harder than the new ones.  

Edit

Or go toss the original Halo on legendary....  way, way, way harder than souls.  And that was a massive AAA big budget game. 

MGS2 on the hardest difficulty is harder than souls.  

I have started gaming during  nes as well. I disagree with you. Bloodborne and sekiro were the hardest games ever for me while being fun. I have also beaten halo on legendry it was a very fun and balanced experience no way was it harder then bloodborne and sekiro for me. Of course bloodborne was my first souls game.  I have beaten ninja gaiden 1 and 2 nes as well, no save states and ninja gaiden 3 using a save states.  I never played MGS 2 on hardest difficulty though as the gameplay is boring to be honest after you get past the graphics and being blown away the gameplay ain't great, MGS5 shits on the whole series gameplay wise. most of nes games ain't hard once you use save states like i said thats just cheap hard and shouldn't count cause it's not fun.

you seem to be really good at souls games for most people including many publications  they are the hardest games. 

Also GOW was a button masher, i played it on ps2 and didn't enjoy it. later i played GOW3 on ps3 put on hardest setting that were available and you can button mash your way through the whole thing.

Fair enough.  Outside Kos I never found BB that hard.  Ludwig holy sword is early game and is a wrecking ball.  Same with the scythe in Souls 1.  Demon has starting class with Halberd which is perfectly great for the whole game.  Farron Greatsword is fairly early and is amazing.  

I just usually build HP, endurance and scale per weapon.  Outside a few bosses, never had much problem.  

I also buff with armor, rings and shields that generate stamina faster.  The games can be wrecked minus a few bosses.  I've solo beaten all of them through NG+5.  

Edit

Also I never use the a shield outside stamina gen.  Also dual hand for extra damage.  And **** armor, go fast roll.  



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:

We are talking AAA games being challenging not something made by a small indie. The reason they gave challenging mass apeal cause they actually made ones that are great and the challenge is fun and not broken. 

Cave is not indie and is one of the most renowned developers of the genre. Huge arcade hits and many ported to consoles spanning decades.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Hardest games I've played is Actraiser 2 and MDK2. Couldn't make any progress. Which sucks because the 1st Actraiser is amazing.



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Hardest games I've played is Actraiser 2 and MDK2. Couldn't make any progress. Which sucks because the 1st Actraiser is amazing.

Damn, I forgot about MDK. What a nostalgia jolt you just gave me. 



Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I have started gaming during  nes as well. I disagree with you. Bloodborne and sekiro were the hardest games ever for me while being fun. I have also beaten halo on legendry it was a very fun and balanced experience no way was it harder then bloodborne and sekiro for me. Of course bloodborne was my first souls game.  I have beaten ninja gaiden 1 and 2 nes as well, no save states and ninja gaiden 3 using a save states.  I never played MGS 2 on hardest difficulty though as the gameplay is boring to be honest after you get past the graphics and being blown away the gameplay ain't great, MGS5 shits on the whole series gameplay wise. most of nes games ain't hard once you use save states like i said thats just cheap hard and shouldn't count cause it's not fun.

you seem to be really good at souls games for most people including many publications  they are the hardest games. 

Also GOW was a button masher, i played it on ps2 and didn't enjoy it. later i played GOW3 on ps3 put on hardest setting that were available and you can button mash your way through the whole thing.

Fair enough.  Outside Kos I never found BB that hard.  Ludwig holy sword is early game and is a wrecking ball.  Same with the scythe in Souls 1.  Demon has starting class with Halberd which is perfectly great for the whole game.  Farron Greatsword is fairly early and is amazing.  

I just usually build HP, endurance and scale per weapon.  Outside a few bosses, never had much problem.  

I also buff with armor, rings and shields that generate stamina faster.  The games can be wrecked minus a few bosses.  I've solo beaten all of them through NG+5.  

Edit

Also I never use the a shield outside stamina gen.  Also dual hand for extra damage.  And **** armor, go fast roll.  

BB was a nightmare for me. I never even played games where you have to build hp, and endurance. Plus dodging into enemy attack at the right angle was also new concept. I won't lie the shit felt impossible and especially with the blood viles not replenishing was the worst decision a developer could make probably turned off alot of new people and really hurt sales. The game was so tense for me. Replaying it and actually starting to get manageable was a I can do the impossible moment for me. Same for sekiro.



Leynos said:
zeldaring said:

We are talking AAA games being challenging not something made by a small indie. The reason they gave challenging mass apeal cause they actually made ones that are great and the challenge is fun and not broken. 

Cave is not indie and is one of the most renowned developers of the genre. Huge arcade hits and many ported to consoles spanning decades.

They certainly aren't a AAA developer since the 3d era. Also 12 years for 1 person to beat a game is not something good its called a extremely broken difficulty setting.



Chrkeller said:

Hardest games I've played is Actraiser 2 and MDK2. Couldn't make any progress. Which sucks because the 1st Actraiser is amazing.

Use save states. Most of these retro games are just cheap difficulty cause they make you start over. I can't see how it's harder then sekiro many bosses took me 5 hours plus. Hardest  retro games I beat were tnmt, ninja gaiden nes all of them and battle toads use save states to memorize clear bosses and areas then they can beaten with out save states. I used save states for ninja gaiden 3 and battle toads.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 08 July 2024

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Hardest games I've played is Actraiser 2 and MDK2. Couldn't make any progress. Which sucks because the 1st Actraiser is amazing.

Use save states. Most of these retro games are just cheap difficulty cause they make you start over. I can't see how it's harder then sekiro many bosses took me 5 hours plus. Hardest  retro games I beat were tnmt, ninja gaiden nes all of them and battle toads use save states to memorize clear bosses and areas then they can beaten with out save states. I used save states for ninja gaiden 3 and battle toads.

I largely agree, old games are hard in a bad way.  Sekiro is old school hard, too hard imo.  Souls never bothered me.  Tough, but not hard.  



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Use save states. Most of these retro games are just cheap difficulty cause they make you start over. I can't see how it's harder then sekiro many bosses took me 5 hours plus. Hardest  retro games I beat were tnmt, ninja gaiden nes all of them and battle toads use save states to memorize clear bosses and areas then they can beaten with out save states. I used save states for ninja gaiden 3 and battle toads.

I largely agree, old games are hard in a bad way.  Sekiro is old school hard, too hard imo.  Souls never bothered me.  Tough, but not hard.  

I disagree i feel like sekiro is the same as elden ring in terms of challenge but sekiro feels less cheap when you master it.

I think my main point is AAA games have a much healthier challenge and much better deeper combat mechanics then previous gens.