By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hellblade II - "A defining moment in the evolution of realtime graphics"

rapsuperstar31 said:

We finally have a game that really takes advantage of the cool things of Unreal engine 5.

Exactly.  I think we are going to see a big jump in graphics over the next few years.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Hardstuck-Platinum said:
Ryuu96 said:

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Hellblade 2 proved less successful than the hi-fi rush.

Could you actually stick to the topic of the thread?

Sales are the most important to the success of a game, not what digital foundry says. This is a website that tracks hardware and software sales so someone was bound to mention it. If he didn't I was going to. With it selling as bad as it is, nothing else really matters. What was the point of even making it cos it was never going to sell well, which is what games need to do for the studios to survive

This thread is not for that argument.  It is a narrowed thread discussing Digital foundry and how it relates to hellblade 2.  Sales would be a topic for another thread and another time.

If you continue to discuss sales in any way shape form or fashion you will be blocked from participating in this thread.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

It's impressive looking from the DF video. There would always be a studio that tries to do a next step and I think Team Ninja succeeded.

That being said, my own preference are stylized art directions, not so much realism, so it's not for me. But happy that it exist for people that are into it.

Looks very pretty and I guess very impressive. I'm not a big fan of the art style though, hence I skipped the first one. Too dark generally. And now they focus more on cinematic effects with chromatic aberration, film grain and depth of field. I always turn that off in games.

But I wouldn't mind watching a condensed 'director's cut' version on 4K blu-ray. Looks like a decent movie experience. For games I put all my time in VR now and running this kind of stuff in VR is still a pipe dream.

NT games always look nice but never play nice. This is a walking sim and fine for those into that but gameplay took a massive hit to make a pretty picture. So fine whatever. More impressed with how Hi-Fi Rush looked because it dared to be stylish in both ways. In 10 years Hi-Fi will still look fantastic while this will have aged. Also, Chromatic Aberration is the bane of my existence. I hate that in games so fucking much.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 May 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

This game looks like it's headed to be a massive bomb, Steam numbers are dismal, another one of these situations where despite nice tech performance people aren't showing up. 

It's a short/small game which is likely the only way they were able to focus strictly on visuals, by having almost no scope. Hopefully they didn't spend too much money on it, but they will probably did spend some bucks. I hope no one gets laid off because of this but we know how big publishers are operating these days and it isn't pretty.

That other "hyped" Unreal Engine 5 game, Immortals of Aveum also bombed, doesn't look like "Unreal Engine 5" graphics is a prompting people to actually buy these games, not even on PC. 40 people were laid off from this studio after the game released and bombed. 

If you have to make epic 25-45 hour games with that fidelity or get a Marvel license to get any attention for gamers, well your budget is going to skyrocket, so then you "cheat" by making a small 5-10 hour game but the general market is not giving you the time of day. It's gonna putting publishers into a bind. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 24 May 2024

This is the Gears of War of this generation in my eyes; the first game that shows a big leap over the best of the previous generation.
The intricate micro geometry, the naturalistic lighting and materials, the lifelike characters, it's easily the best looking video game I have ever seen.

It's also the first ambitious UE5 title that really feels like it fits comfortably on consoles; previous stuff like Immortal of Aveum and Lords of the Fallen had major performance issues.

It's sad and predictable seeing comments trying to dismiss this game even though it's objectively a good game. 81 Meta, 87 steam average. It might not be a big seller, but neither was the first game without Game Pass. At least people who were never going to buy the game, have the choice to use Game Pass to play this game. It's how I'm playing it and the vast majority of people will do the same. Anyways, beautiful game worth experience imo.

It looks great but the PP is so distracting, it's almost sickening to look at.

curl-6 said:

This is the Gears of War of this generation in my eyes; the first game that shows a big leap over the best of the previous generation.
The intricate micro geometry, the naturalistic lighting and materials, the lifelike characters, it's easily the best looking video game I have ever seen.

It's also the first ambitious UE5 title that really feels like it fits comfortably on consoles; previous stuff like Immortal of Aveum and Lords of the Fallen had major performance issues.

Immortals of Aveum is more of a wide open, traditional game with lots of action on screen, there are going to have to be sacrifices, it looks to me like current consoles can only run stuff like Hellblade 2 better because it's extremely linear, slower paced game without a whole lot happening on screen. Aveum is a more ambitious game in scope. 
For HB2, unfortunately 5 hour games just aren't going to be marketable even if the reviews were even better (they seem to be OK) and the graphics aren't enough to get mass audiences to care. 

7 years in development to make a 5 hour game that is linear kinda tells a story right there. How long would it take to make a 30 hour game like that with more stuff happening on screen? And how many times higher would the budget have to be. I hope the studio doesn't suffer mass lay offs like the Aveum team did.