By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor/Leak for specific RAM and storage capacity of the Switch sucessor (Centro Leak)

Just for context, this is the heat-sink on the PS5. 

And the fan. 

This is what the heatsink on the Steam Deck looks like. And below it you can see the fan. 

PS5 maxes at about 197 W total power consumption, and averages around 100W in games. Steam Deck maxes 45W. Both PS5 and Steam Deck are on 6nm process node and started on 7nm with their original models.

On average, with each die shrink we're seeing about 15-30% performance gain per watt. Assuming 20% on average, it would take about four die-shrinks to get average PS5 level of performance in a Steam Deck form factor when it is maxed out plugged into the wall. Assuming a docked Switch 2 pulls about half of that at max it would take something around six or seven die shrinks. Now of course, in reality there are also new innovative architectural gains that surpass just the efficiency gains from shrinking the die, but if you wanted PS5 level performance in a 20W package, you'll wait almost a decade from release. Shouldn't expect anything like that until 2030 at the earliest. For a 45W package you could expect that around 2027 maybe. 

There are other considerations of course (ARM vs. x86, Nvidia vs. AMD), but roughly that seems about right given how we've seen performance gains in the past, and how advancements have slowed down with Moore's Law also slowing. 

Around the Network

Obviously, Nintendo was never going to go "cutting-edge" with Switch 2 but settling on noticeably dated tech would also be a mistake. This actually sounds pleasantly surprising and better than expected, judging by most of the comments here. All things considered, it sounds to me like Nintendo has gone fairly "modern" for this form-factor's performance and it should prove to be one of the biggest (perceivable) jumps that Nintendo has made from one system to the next.

sc94597 said:
zeldaring said:

EA is an outlier but the reason cyberpunk, resident evil 4,  SF6, tekken 8,  final fantasy games, COD and many other big third party games is hardware limitations.

Cyberpunk, SF6, and RE4 remake are practically 9th gen titles that were barely playable on the PS4/XBO, and the last two didn't even release on XBO. 

Just to add a bit of context for the people in the thread (and you probably know this), most of those games are accurately described as barely playable on PS4/XBO, but SF6 runs well on PS4, since fighting games basically have to run at a stable 60fps, or the framedata of the moves get messed up, etc. Which makes it more difficult to port to weaker hardware since you can't cut the framerate in half like you can with most games.

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

I mean there was leaked documents and confirmation by multiple reliable sources and  pro versions were were becoming the norm for consoles such a successful piece of hardware not to get a pro version when it needed one badly is kinda of insane.

Depends on how much people believe leaks.  I personally don't believe in rumors.  If rumors and leaks were accurate I would have WWHD and TWHD on the switch.  People, just my opinion, put way too much faith in leaks and rumors. 

Well, the way I see it is that not all leaks are equal.
It's one thing to have a random post on 4chan claiming something, and completely different when its coming from someone with an impeckable track record.

The Nvidia leak for example has proven over and over to be correct as more and more games that were on the list keep getting announced.

Midori on Twitter with Sega/Atlus leaks is another example.
(14) みどり (@MbKKssTBhz5) / X (twitter.com)

In the case of the reports of Switch Pro being planned, but then cancelled (presumably due to the semi conductor shortage at the time) this was corroborated by several reputable outlets, but in particular by Digital Foundry / Eurogamer.
They were the ones who first broke the news on what the original Switch concept would be, and its specs. They did the same for PS4 Pro, and were spot on again, etc.

That said, I don't recall what the specs were supposed to be for Switch Pro, if they even mentioned any. It's possible that the specs mentioned prviously in this thread came from a different source, and should not be mixed together with Digital Foundry's report in that case.

Last edited by Hiku - on 14 May 2024

sc94597 said:
zeldaring said:

switch would be getting every third party game if it wasn't for hardware limitations. the days of being exclusive is over and every game comes to every platform it just really depends if the developer thinks it will be worth it to port  a really comprised port.  

This isn't necessarily the case. Most EA games, for example, could easily be scaled to Switch performance levels without too much effort or even compromises. Yet they don't come to the platform, nevertheless. An there is nobody more money-hungry/profit-seeking than EA, in the industry. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/31/ea-explains-why-it-offers-limited-nintendo-switch-support?sf106268628=1

“Any time we’re evaluating platform conversations we’re really looking at a couple of things,” said Wilson. “One, does the game really fit the profile of that platform in terms of the control or the community ecosystem? Two, do we think the community playing on that platform would appreciate the game and go there, or would they prefer to play it somewhere else?

“We have a lot of data that would suggest a great many Switch owners also own a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One or a PC and very often choose to play the games that we make on those platforms, even though they have a Switch and they enjoy a lot of great content on the Switch."

Best thing EA did was not bother trying on Switched. Saved me money on my other systems and ignored their micro transaction infested games.

Cobretti2 said:
sc94597 said:

This isn't necessarily the case. Most EA games, for example, could easily be scaled to Switch performance levels without too much effort or even compromises. Yet they don't come to the platform, nevertheless. An there is nobody more money-hungry/profit-seeking than EA, in the industry. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/31/ea-explains-why-it-offers-limited-nintendo-switch-support?sf106268628=1

“Any time we’re evaluating platform conversations we’re really looking at a couple of things,” said Wilson. “One, does the game really fit the profile of that platform in terms of the control or the community ecosystem? Two, do we think the community playing on that platform would appreciate the game and go there, or would they prefer to play it somewhere else?

“We have a lot of data that would suggest a great many Switch owners also own a PlayStation 4 or an Xbox One or a PC and very often choose to play the games that we make on those platforms, even though they have a Switch and they enjoy a lot of great content on the Switch."

Best thing EA did was not bother trying on Switched. Saved me money on my other systems and ignored their micro transaction infested games.

EA is still stinking up the joint with FC '24 (I keep calling it FIFA) on Switch, but there are actually a few smaller games released in a decent state worthy of  respect like It Takes Two and Tales of Kenzara: ZAU.

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

How much will this console cost? Nintendo has no history of subsidizing console prices. With these configurations it is almost impossible for it to cost less than 500 dollars. Unless Nintendo wants to lose money on hardware, but like I said they don't usually do that like Sony and Microsoft

Not sure if anyone replied, but they did sell the original 3DS at a loss after the price cut, and if memory serves even the WiiU was sold at a small loss at launch (Don't ask me how lol). But I don't expect this to be the case here.

My only complaints about the Switch are the low quality joycon sticks and the power. If this is truly substantially more powerful than a PS4, it's looking like a great start.

Proxy-Pie said:
jvmkdg said:

How much will this console cost? Nintendo has no history of subsidizing console prices. With these configurations it is almost impossible for it to cost less than 500 dollars. Unless Nintendo wants to lose money on hardware, but like I said they don't usually do that like Sony and Microsoft

Not sure if anyone replied, but they did sell the original 3DS at a loss after the price cut, and if memory serves even the WiiU was sold at a small loss at launch (Don't ask me how lol). But I don't expect this to be the case here.

I'm confused as to why this would be sold at a loss this isn't a steam deck which only sold 2-3 million in 2 years. If the rumored specs are true we are looking at basically a cut down version of a 2050 a gpu released in 2021, I'm sure Nintendo got a sweet deal considering the switch sold 140 million So the chip will be mass produced for nintendo.

Chrkeller said:
Leynos said:

Switch Pro was confirmed by my uncle at Nintendo It was could to be the TNNSHATR239. The New Nintendo Switch Hyper Alpha Turbo Remix. It had a 14-inch screen, 64Tflops 128GB of Ram. 16CPU cores. 8 Hyper thread cores. A new 4K F-Zero.  ELite controllers. 200GB carts. Voice chat functionality. A cup holder. Parkour ability. A Fleshlight and 9-inch dildo modeled after Miyamoto's dong. But it wasn't impressive enough for Zeldaring on VGchartz so it was cancelled.

Only 64 tflops?  Glad it was canned.  My 4090 is a bit over 100.  250 tflops or bust.  

woah now.... lets not get too ahead of ourselves :P 

4090 performance for Switch 2 should be more than enough. :)
Could you imagine a 500 watt tpd handheld?

(also isnt a stock 4090 like 83 tflops? of fp16.... did you overclock that bad boy?)

Switch 2 needs to use hall effect joysticks.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!