By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's proft during the Switch era surpasses the combined profit from 1981 to 2016

What I love about this is that Nintendo has earned all of this. They created a great machine, put amazing games on it, catered to audiences from all eras/genres, went weird from time to time (Labo, Ring Fit) and kept a strong software output the entire time. They have a template for success that isn't propped up by "blue oceans" or waggle fads. Just do what you guys do and the core Nintendo audience will support your vision and the masses will follow. I know it's not guaranteed that Switch 2 will be successful, but at least they're going to be running in the right direction to please their core fanbase. That means amazing games for years to come.

Around the Network

It's pretty incredible to think that when it comes to profit, all the first 35 years of Nintendo along with 11 consoles That brought so many memories for me growing up I'll never forget would now be considered only a 35-year side project for Nintendo in comparison to the profit that was raked in by the Switch alone lol.

When it comes to their profit, im curios to see what was making the Switch so much more profitable than an era like the Wii/Ds era where Nintendo in total sold 255M hardware units and about 1.8 Billion in software sales, in comparison the Switch is at 141M with 1.23B in software sales but kills that era in profit.

I'm sure a big thing that's contributing to the extra profit is the advent of digital sales, which didn't exist in the Wii/DS era. Digital sales of games are far more profitable in general than physical games. Also creating one platform at a time now may reduce development costs. Cause when we look at revenue the Wii/DS era had some higher years, but far less profitable

javi741 said:

It's pretty incredible to think that when it comes to profit, all the first 35 years of Nintendo along with 11 consoles That brought so many memories for me growing up I'll never forget would now be considered only a 35-year side project for Nintendo in comparison to the profit that was raked in by the Switch alone lol.

When it comes to their profit, im curios to see what was making the Switch so much more profitable than an era like the Wii/Ds era where Nintendo in total sold 255M hardware units and about 1.8 Billion in software sales, in comparison the Switch is at 141M with 1.23B in software sales but kills that era in profit.

I'm sure a big thing that's contributing to the extra profit is the advent of digital sales, which didn't exist in the Wii/DS era. Digital sales of games are far more profitable in general than physical games. Also creating one platform at a time now may reduce development costs. Cause when we look at revenue the Wii/DS era had some higher years, but far less profitable

I think the profit of a sold hardware unit (DS/Wii) wasn't that big. Digital sales could be reason and Nintendo Switch Online as well.

I believe it. Nintendo just feels more relevant and popular than ever among normies.

The fact they're more profitable now than they were even at the peak of the Wii + DS era really puts into perspective was a juggernaut the Switch is.
Though it will sell less than two thirds as much hardware, their profit margins are much higher, and Switch may even end up selling as much software as the two combined by the time all's said and done.

Truly a performance for the ages. I wonder if we'll ever see another platform dominate to this degree.

Around the Network

Funnily enough, the point still stands even if you take inflation into account. It's just that crazy !

Yet, even if they were to be met by a slightly more lukewarm sales reception for the Switch successor. Profit wise, the company will still do well, so anyone thinking we could go back to WiiU/3DS days ... Most likely not

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

King Switch his impact !!

NINTENDOOOMED! STILL!

Last edited by Leynos - on 09 May 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I just did another discovery about this statistic. The Switch era alone in 7 years nearly made as much profit as Playstation's ENTIRE 30 year history. Even when adjusted for inflation.

From December 1994-March 2023, Playstation's combined operating profit (adjusted for inflation): 18.4 Billion USD

March 2017 to March 2024 Switch's profit alone (adjusted for inflation): 17.4 Billion USD

Insane.

If we were to take the first 28 years of Playstation's profit (1994-2022), the Switch beats it with Playstation making 16.7 Billion USD compared to Switch's 17.4 Billion USD, of course adjusted for inflation for both.

The Switch is such an insane success.

Nintendo was right to put all their eggs in one basket.

The constant stream of first party and third party titles has meant no game droughts unlike past Nintendo systems.

Even now during what's likely the Switch's last calendar year as Nintendo's newest system, there is a steady stream of games.