By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

I've also thought about the possibility of Nintendo showcasing the Switch 2 briefly at the Game Awards. I do believe that if it is shown in 2024 that it will be in December though and not October like the Switch. I also believe that the blowout reveal akin to the Switch 2017 presentation won't take place until March with a release coming in May or June.

I do feel like it will be initially shown outside the Game Awards, but I feel it would be beneficial to have some sort of Switch 2 presence at the Game Awards considering the high viewership.

Around the Network

The fact Nintendo are holding a June Direct at all kinda suggests there's some significant new content still to come for the current Switch.

We saw back in 2020 that when Nintendo doesn't have much to share they have no problem with holding back and staying silent.  There probably won't be anything on the level of TOTK or Mario Bros Wonder this year, but it shouldn't be a rerun of Wii 2012 or Wii U 2016 or just a few old remasters either.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 May 2024

curl-6 said:

The fact Nintendo are holding a June Direct at all kinda suggests there's some significant new content still to come for the current Switch.

We saw back in 2020 that when Nintendo doesn't have much to share they have no problem with holding back and staying silent.  There probably won't be anything on the level of TOTK or Mario Bros Wonder this year, but it shouldn't be a rerun of Wii 2012 or Wii U 2016 or just a few old remasters either.

Pretty much, my take on it as well. You just don't go into a possibly 30 min. presentation, you've already announced just to basically announce jack sh*t, except a couple third party. 

Unless ... They haven't specified what type of Direct we are getting lol. 

Mostly kidding though, we're definitely getting a main Direct which will most likely feature at least 2-3 pieces of Nintendo software worthy to finish the active Switch span cycle.

Prediction, one of them is going to be Metroid Prime 4 + Prime 2/3 Remaster, Zelda WW/Twilight Princess HD ports and ... A new Grezzo game ! (Just don't make it flop like Ever Oasis plz)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much, my take on it as well. You just don't go into a possibly 30 min. presentation, you've already announced just to basically announce jack sh*t, except a couple third party. 

Mostly kidding though, we're definitely getting a main Direct which will most likely feature at least 2-3 pieces of Nintendo software worthy to finish the active Switch span cycle.

Prediction, one of them is going to be Metroid Prime 4 + Prime 2/3 Remaster, Zelda WW/Twilight Princess HD ports and ... A new Grezzo game ! (Just don't make it flop like Ever Oasis plz)

Yeah I can't see them dropping another Partner Showcase, not when they have no first party software dated passed June. Even the dying days of Gamecube/Wii/Wii U had some first party content, they're not gonna let their most successful system ever go out worse than that, not when they have a userbase of over 140 million to sell to.

A Mini doesn't seem likely either given they'll be covering 6 months worth of software; Minis are usually stopgaps covering a shorter period.

curl-6 said:
Mar1217 said:

Yeah I can't see them dropping another Partner Showcase, not when they have no first party software dated passed June. Even the dying days of Gamecube/Wii/Wii U had some first party content, they're not gonna let their most successful system ever go out worse than that, not when they have a userbase of over 140 million to sell to.

A Mini doesn't seem likely either given they'll be covering 6 months worth of software; Minis are usually stopgaps covering a shorter period.

I certainly agree with you but really, I'm just saying this to cover our future expectations really. I'm sure the Direct will be a full fledged one but there's always the possibility of a less savory surprise considering most of software development plans are most likely focused on the Switch 2 now, there's isn't much that could be left for the Switch, meaning why a big Direct presentation for the possibility of such a low content showcase ?

Meh, let's not think like that too long, it's gonna be fine !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I wonder if Nintendo will do what Microsoft did and announce the Switch 2 at The Game Awards in December with the major launch title. Then follow that up with a full Nintendo Direct in January 2025 showcasing all major games coming to console at launch and in the first year.

You bring up a good point. It would be helpful to do so, but considering that Nintendo does what others don't, I don't think this will be the case.

My thoughts are that they will reveal the Successor after December (probably January? but after the Japanese super sale) and provide mini presentations after, like how they showcased and advertised the Super Mario Bros Movie, and X posts, along with YT.

I do like the Direct idea in January.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

I certainly agree with you but really, I'm just saying this to cover our future expectations really. I'm sure the Direct will be a full fledged one but there's always the possibility of a less savory surprise considering most of software development plans are most likely focused on the Switch 2 now, there's isn't much that could be left for the Switch, meaning why a big Direct presentation for the possibility of such a low content showcase ?

Meh, let's not think like that too long, it's gonna be fine !

It is technically possible we get a Mini or Partner, but the wording here does seem to suggest to me it will be a full fat Direct. At least we won't have to wait too long to find out.

And hey, maybe we'll get some cool third party surprises too, like Grounded in the February Direct or Unicorn Overlord in the September 2023 Direct. I can't imagine third parties will want to completely bail on a userbase of more than 140 million either.

Remasters of Metroid Pime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption are a given. It doesn't make sense do make a remaster of Metroid Prime 1 and then later on release Metroid Prime 4, leaving a gap. But maybe not both remasters will be released within the FY25.

The biggest question for me is if Nintendo will really show Metroid Prime 4 at the upcoming Nintendo Direct or not. On the one hand, it's overdue to show something of Metroid Prime 4, on the other hand, it's graphically the most ambitious game Nintendo has ever made, therefore, it would make much more sense to show the very first footage/trailer for the upscalded version as part ot the Switch 2 reveal.

A new Donkey Kong game for the holidays would be great and kinda big. Also, I expect another Pokémon remaster/remake and/or another spin-off. I guess a Jul. or Aug. release for the spin-off and a Sep. or Oct. release for the remaster/remake. Maybe Nintendo will even have a 2nd holidays title with another Mario Party title or maybe a new Tomodachi or Nintendogs/cats game. For Jul. we maybe get Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2024 in France from Sega but as they communicated that sales of the last iteration (Tokyo 2020) were disappointing, Sega is maybe done with this series.

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 16 May 2024

Hopefully it's a great wrap up to the Switch.

The other interesting thing is, a lot of the great RARE games are how just over 25 years old or approaching 25 years old from the N64/Gamecube days. An old man like myself can dream lol, but be nice to get some HD remakes, maybe even as a special launch for Switch 2, since Microsoft seem to be a bit more willing to work with Nintendo as they mentioned COD would be coming to the system.

I'm pretty satisfied with the overall Switch library even if they don't want to release much more else, I don't really understand these people that insist a company bleed itself to death in the later years of every console.

Switch got a brand new Zelda and a brand new 2D Mario very late in its product cycle, realistically how much more can you expect and how many systems have that kind of late gen support to begin with.