By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

Shtinamin_ said:
burninmylight said:

There really is something novel about owning FFVII on a cart on a Nintendo console ~_~

https://tdnet-pdf.kabutan.jp/20240513/140120240513592661.pdf

Basically, SE wants to get more ports out there. Which makes sense. You spend years and hundreds of millions of dollars creating new Final Fantasy, but it's not 1998 anymore. You need to recoup some of that cost, and leaving them on a single platform isn't financially feasible these days.

I just saw this news too.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/05/13/square-enix-is-done-with-playstation-exclusivity-after-profit-drop/?sh=44f16c2420b6

Nice work! What other companies will be joining Nintendo/multiplatform? You seem to know.

Lol, I don't know nothin'. Someone on another forum posted SE's financial reports in PDF form to talk about that subject, and I took that part about aggressively pursuing a multiplatform strategy and ran with it.

I said in the most recent Switch 2 rumor thread that Resident Evil 4 Remake would come to the Switch 2 around launch (let's say within the first year), along with whatever the latest Ass Creed is (the Switch 2 will eventually get every AC the Switch 1 didn't, and a native port of RE7), Street Fighter 6, and FIFA. Those are fairly safe bets, because Capcom and Ubisoft port most of their games to any platform that can handle them. So it'll get every THQ Nordic and Konami rerelease as well.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I just saw this news too.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/05/13/square-enix-is-done-with-playstation-exclusivity-after-profit-drop/?sh=44f16c2420b6

Nice work! What other companies will be joining Nintendo/multiplatform? You seem to know.

Lol, I don't know nothin'. Someone on another forum posted SE's financial reports in PDF form to talk about that subject, and I took that part about aggressively pursuing a multiplatform strategy and ran with it.

I said in the most recent Switch 2 rumor thread that Resident Evil 4 Remake would come to the Switch 2 around launch (let's say within the first year), along with whatever the latest Ass Creed is (the Switch 2 will eventually get every AC the Switch 1 didn't, and a native port of RE7), Street Fighter 6, and FIFA. Those are fairly safe bets, because Capcom and Ubisoft port most of their games to any platform that can handle them. So it'll get every THQ Nordic and Konami rerelease as well.

We take those, even if they came from other sources, you went and made it your own. Very nice

Sounds like an exciting generation with the Successor. I think we'll have Halo on the Successor.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

The June Direct is sorely needed as the list of significant games coming to the current Switch is growing awfully thin.

Hopefully the system still has some surprises left in it; after such a phenomenal 7 years it deserves to go out with dignity and avoid the late life Sahara most Nintendo consoles suffer from.

curl-6 said:

The June Direct is sorely needed as the list of significant games coming to the current Switch is growing awfully thin.

Hopefully the system still has some surprises left in it; after such a phenomenal 7 years it deserves to go out with dignity and avoid the late life Sahara most Nintendo consoles suffer from.

Their fiscal year forecast along with the currently known lineup suggests they have some surprises for the rest of the year.

January 19-Another Code: Recollection

February 16-Mario vs. Donkey Kong

March 22-Princess Peach: Showtime!

May 2-Endless Ocean Luminous

May 23-Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

June 27-Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD

July 18-Nintendo World Championship: NES Edition

If they didn’t have anything major for the rest of the year then these games would have been spaced out more.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Their fiscal year forecast along with the currently known lineup suggests they have some surprises for the rest of the year.

January 19-Another Code: Recollection

February 16-Mario vs. Donkey Kong

March 22-Princess Peach: Showtime!

May 2-Endless Ocean Luminous

May 23-Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

June 27-Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD

July 18-Nintendo World Championship: NES Edition

If they didn’t have anything major for the rest of the year then these games would have been spaced out more.

Yeah that's the impression I got as well; we saw this last year when they loaded up the first half heavily cos they had Mario Bros Wonder/Mario RPG remake in store for later on.

I got my fingers crossed; as exciting as it is to look ahead to the successor, I'd still like to enjoy my current system as much as possible too.

Around the Network

I’m good for a Switch 2 any day now.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I’m good for a Switch 2 any day now.

Me too, don't get me wrong, I'm very keen for the next system, it's just that if that next system is indeed not due til 2025, I'd rather have some good stuff to play on my current Switch in the meantime.

If the Switch can avoid the late life slumps of systems like Gamecube in 2006, Wii in 2012, and Wii U in 2016, that'd be a godsend.

RolStoppable said:

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

By the holidays the Switch is gonna be running on fumes everywhere outside of Japan (it already sorta is and has been since the Fall). So I don't think that is a big worry at this point. And I doubt they'll even have any big holiday game.

I'd expect at least an announcement and teasers this year, and then after the holidays full reveal with all the details, leading up to a March or April release. We already know the only reason it isn't coming this year is because they don't have enough software ready, so assuming software will be ready by March or April there would be no reason to keep holding it back. The sooner they can launch the new system the better for Nintendo.

Slownenberg said:
RolStoppable said:

Expect the announcement of the successor in early 2025 then. Nintendo isn't going to hurt their current console's holiday sales by announcing the successor sooner.

By the holidays the Switch is gonna be running on fumes everywhere outside of Japan (it already sorta is and has been since the Fall). So I don't think that is a big worry at this point. And I doubt they'll even have any big holiday game.

I'd expect at least an announcement and teasers this year, and then after the holidays full reveal with all the details, leading up to a March or April release. We already know the only reason it isn't coming this year is because they don't have enough software ready, so assuming software will be ready by March or April there would be no reason to keep holding it back. The sooner they can launch the new system the better for Nintendo.

No holiday game(s) doesn't tally with their stated goal to sell 13.5 million Switches this FY. They aren't gonna move that much hardware with just recycled old shit and small scale stuff.

Even Wii U's 2016 had a holiday game.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 May 2024

At this point I expect a bunch of smaller releases to fill out the rest of the year. The biggest releases will probably be ports or remasters of older games like the Wii U Zelda remasters and Prime 2 and 3. Moving on to less likely options, maybe Galaxy 2 finally gets ported or Super Paper Mario gets a glow-up like The Thousand Year Door around the holidays. It would also be a good time for an HD remaster of Kid Icarus Uprising.

The biggest wildcard is Prime 4. I think the reason it hasn't been shown at all is that development was moved entirely to Switch 2 a long time ago and it'll be an exclusive launch title, but if development was kept on the Switch, then it would make sense for it to be Nintendo's big game at the end of the year.