By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

h2ohno said:

At this point I expect a bunch of smaller releases to fill out the rest of the year. The biggest releases will probably be ports or remasters of older games like the Wii U Zelda remasters and Prime 2 and 3. Moving on to less likely options, maybe Galaxy 2 finally gets ported or Super Paper Mario gets a glow-up like The Thousand Year Door around the holidays. It would also be a good time for an HD remaster of Kid Icarus Uprising.

The biggest wildcard is Prime 4. I think the reason it hasn't been shown at all is that development was moved entirely to Switch 2 a long time ago and it'll be an exclusive launch title, but if development was kept on the Switch, then it would make sense for it to be Nintendo's big game at the end of the year.

Nothing bigger than HD remasters of Zelda or Prime 2/3 seems a pessimistic prediction given even Wii U's 2016 had Paper Mario Colour Splash and Starfox Zero and even Wii's 2012 had Mario Party 9.

If their back half was that weak, surely they would have held onto Princess Peach Showtime or the Thousand Year Door remake for the holiday season.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 May 2024

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
h2ohno said:

At this point I expect a bunch of smaller releases to fill out the rest of the year. The biggest releases will probably be ports or remasters of older games like the Wii U Zelda remasters and Prime 2 and 3. Moving on to less likely options, maybe Galaxy 2 finally gets ported or Super Paper Mario gets a glow-up like The Thousand Year Door around the holidays. It would also be a good time for an HD remaster of Kid Icarus Uprising.

The biggest wildcard is Prime 4. I think the reason it hasn't been shown at all is that development was moved entirely to Switch 2 a long time ago and it'll be an exclusive launch title, but if development was kept on the Switch, then it would make sense for it to be Nintendo's big game at the end of the year.

Nothing bigger than HD remasters of Zelda or Prime 2/3 seems an awfully pessimistic prediction given even Wii U's 2016 had Paper Mario Colour Splash and Starfox Zero and even Wii's 2012 had Mario Party 9 and Project Zero 2 Wii Edition.

If their back half was that weak, surely they would have held onto Princess Peach Showtime or the Thousand Year Door remake for the holiday season.

We have very different views on what is considered a big or small title.  I would consider expecting nothing bigger than Color Splash or Starfox Zero far more pessimistic than expecting nothing bigger than WWHD, TPHD, or Prime 2/3 HD.  Being a brand-new game doesn't automatically mean something is bigger than remasters of some of Nintendo's biggest games and most requested rereleases, especially in this day and age.  A couple of games on the level of Color Splash or Princess Peach Showtime are likely, but I would consider the remasters to be the bigger releases.

h2ohno said:
curl-6 said:

Nothing bigger than HD remasters of Zelda or Prime 2/3 seems an awfully pessimistic prediction given even Wii U's 2016 had Paper Mario Colour Splash and Starfox Zero and even Wii's 2012 had Mario Party 9 and Project Zero 2 Wii Edition.

We have very different views on what is considered a big or small title.  I would consider expecting nothing bigger than Color Splash or Starfox Zero far more pessimistic than expecting nothing bigger than WWHD, TPHD, or Prime 2/3 HD.  Being a brand-new game doesn't automatically mean something is bigger than remasters of some of Nintendo's biggest games and most requested rereleases, especially in this day and age.  A couple of games on the level of Color Splash or Princess Peach Showtime are likely, but I would consider the remasters to be the bigger releases.

Personally, an actual original game I'd rank as more significant than a repackaging of a something generations old. I don't doubt there will be more remasters in store for the second half of the year, but there should also be at least 1 or 2 all new titles of moderate size.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 May 2024

Typically I want new games, not repackaged. But WWHD at 1440p/60fps needs to happen. Such an amazing game locked behind terrible Wii U hardware. That is tragic.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

as soon as I heard the news as "this fiscal year" I immediately thought it's probably going to be in the beginning of next year. It's Nintendo's way of making it sound like it is soon when it isn't

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
Roma said:

as soon as I heard the news as "this fiscal year" I immediately thought it's probably going to be in the beginning of next year. It's Nintendo's way of making it sound like it is soon when it isn't

Agree. The only reason Nintendo's president made that tweet was because "Stop bothering us about it, you'll hear about it when you hear about it"

Early next year does seem most likely, since they want to ship 13.5 million Switches this FY and won't want to scuttle their holidays sales by announcing the successor beforehand.
Still, knowing we're less than 11 months from seeing the next Nintendo system is nice to know and makes the wait feel more bearable for me; it was starting to feel like it would be endless before.

And in the more immediate term, it's also nice to know they'll be a Direct next month, gives us something closer to look forward to.

Having a clear timeframe is enough to keep me satisfied for the moment.

I wonder if Nintendo will do what Microsoft did and announce the Switch 2 at The Game Awards in December with the major launch title. Then follow that up with a full Nintendo Direct in January 2025 showcasing all major games coming to console at launch and in the first year.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

I wonder if Nintendo will do what Microsoft did and announce the Switch 2 at The Game Awards in December with the major launch title. Then follow that up with a full Nintendo Direct in January 2025 showcasing all major games coming to console at launch and in the first year.

Nintendo would not have enough control over a reveal like that. They will have their own showcase.

trunkswd said:

Not sure about Game Awards. It's a Japanese company after all and the Game Awards are pretty much US/English speaking focused primarily. I expect the reveal to have a Japanese trailer as primary or at the same time at the least. A Game Award reveal would also mean an Japanese reveal at goth awful hours of the day, due to time zones.