By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2024 (Feb 26 - Mar 03)

DroidKnight said:
Otter said:

Xbox multiplat sales potential is highly overestimated (Has any JRPG sold more than 1m globally on Xbox?) 

Final Fantasy XV sold over a million on Xbox.

Sorry, I'm thinking in intergers so I mean has any JRPG sold up to 2m. I'm aware final fantasy XV was 1. something mil

Do we have the final numbers for XV on Xbox?  

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
haxxiy said:

Exactly.

Can you blame their direction for the series, though? The worst-selling FF still sells better than the best-selling DQ despite the latter being multiplatform. Better than Persona, Xenoblade, Octopath, etc. and that's despite a lot of these games sucking (XIII, XV).

Japan was like 15% of XV and VIIR's sales. If there's anything that will make them regret their exclusivity deals are sales elsewhere, not in Japan.

I think Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI sold more than Final Fantasy XVI, as we have no sales update about it since its launch

FFXVI hasn't been out for 1 year so it wouldn't make sense to compare it games which have been out almost a decade with multiple re-releases etc

Switch total sales 2024 are now ahead 2018. There's a chance that this could be the case until November.

Once again Switch is nearly flat YOY this week, which is insane after so long on the market.
Every time it seems to have reached saturation it somehow manages to find new buyers and push on.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 March 2024

IcaroRibeiro said:
Chrkeller said:

Limited via exclusivity.  Terrible idea on Square's part.  

PC and Xbox are not relevant in Japan enough to make up the lack of Playstation sales. Switch can't handle a game with FF rebirth graphics. There is nothing Square could do. FF is dead in Japan

The former might get there before much longer though considering how large the growth has been the past few years for it. Hopefully Square moves away from this strategy by the time the last part of the trilogy comes out.

Around the Network

Spider man 2 at 295k.
Will cross 300k in the next couple of weeks.
Only 2nd Sony game to do so after GT7.

No matter how much someone sugar coats it, those FF7 Rebirth sales are terrible. Even counting digital it's still way down compared to the 1st game, and still down from FF16. PS5 sales didn't even get a big boost. This is Final Fantasy we're talking about. This series used to sell as much as Dragon Quest and Pokemon, now it's selling closer to what a Like a Dragon and Persona sells. Some people think this game will have legs are lying to themselves. FF7 Remake shipped 3.5 million in 3 days then that number grew to 5 million (April - August 2020), and we know it shipped an additional 2 million in 3 years (August 2020 - Sept 2023) to 7 million where during that time it released on PS5 and PC.
For comparison sake how much did the OG FF7 sell on just the PS1? 9.8 million and 4 million of those sales were just in Japan alone.

It makes me wonder if ff7 remakes sales were inflated due to COVID, and that is the reason the originals sales were so hight in comparison.

People like to tell me that animal crossing was so big because of lockdown but immediately get salty when I say the same thing about final fantasy

Kneetos said:

It makes me wonder if ff7 remakes sales were inflated due to COVID, and that is the reason the originals sales were so hight in comparison.

People like to tell me that animal crossing was so big because of lockdown but immediately get salty when I say the same thing about final fantasy

I don't think theres any reason to believe this. The sales were in line with the last mainline FF entry.

All gaming benefitted during the pandemic but Animal Crossing went viral for it's social components and escapism during a time where people couldn't meet or leave the house.

I think the main reason FF sales have continued to decline over the years is because the quality of the games now verses before is just not the same people know that. And all the younger people just see an average JRPG that doesn't standout from all the games that are constantly being released.

我是广州人