By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 9, 2024 (Feb 26 - Mar 03)

Ouch, Switch outselling PS5 the week the latter gets an exclusive remake of one the biggest Japanese games ever is just dire.

It's been crazy watching FF diminish over the years from one of the country's flagship franchises to having a worse opening than Pikmin. 

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

FF is not popular in Japan anymore, DQ is. Seems like a lot of upset fans are in this thread.

Exactly.

Can you blame their direction for the series, though? The worst-selling FF still sells better than the best-selling DQ despite the latter being multiplatform. Better than Persona, Xenoblade, Octopath, etc. and that's despite a lot of these games sucking (XIII, XV).

Japan was like 15% of XV and VIIR's sales. If there's anything that will make them regret their exclusivity deals are sales elsewhere, not in Japan.

Random_Matt said:

FF is not popular in Japan anymore, DQ is. Seems like a lot of upset fans are in this thread.

I don't think PS/FF fans are upset to begin with.

Otter said:

Xbox multiplat sales potential is highly overestimated (Has any JRPG sold more than 1m globally on Xbox?) 

Final Fantasy XV sold over a million on Xbox.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

haxxiy said:
Random_Matt said:

Exactly.

Can you blame their direction for the series, though? The worst-selling FF still sells better than the best-selling DQ despite the latter being multiplatform. Better than Persona, Xenoblade, Octopath, etc. and that's despite a lot of these games sucking (XIII, XV).

Japan was like 15% of XV and VIIR's sales. If there's anything that will make them regret their exclusivity deals are sales elsewhere, not in Japan.

I think Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI sold more than Final Fantasy XVI, as we have no sales update about it since its launch

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
haxxiy said:

Exactly.

I think Persona 5 and Dragon Quest XI sold more than Final Fantasy XVI, as we have no sales update about it since its launch

These games are a million years old and multiplatform. Give FF16 time, it's still ahead launch-aligned.

IcaroRibeiro said:
haxxiy said:

Exactly.

I would like to see the breakdown for these cause p5 first on ps3 then came to other systems same with dq 

It kinda feels like yesterday when FFVII dominated headlines and changed the course of gaming history and giving Sony the edge that Nintendo wouldn’t be able to recover from until the Wii/DS and then later the Switch.

Rebirth did fine for its launch week, but it’s a far cry from the franchise’s prime years in Japan. Not to mention that it didn’t really push PS5 consoles and the Switch remains dominant even in its 8th year. This might have been PS5’s best shot this year to gain momentum and outsell the Switch for the year for the first time in their head to head matchup since the PS5 launched. But alas, we got more questions than answers for PS and Final Fantasy in Japan this week.

1st week sales Japan (Famitsu)

• FF VII (PS1) : 2.034.879
  • FF VIII (PS1) : 2.504.044
  • FF Tactics (PS1) : 641.073
  • FF IX (PS1) : 1.954.421
  • FF X (PS2) : 1.749.737
  • FF X-2 (PS2) : 1.472.914
  • FF XII (PS2) : 1.840 397
  • FF XIII (PS3) : 1.516.532
  • FF XIII-2 (PS3) : 605.660
  • FF XIV A Realm Reborn (PS3) : 184.462
  • FF XIII Lightning Returns (PS3) : 301.181