By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

PortisheadBiscuit said:

1 million TOTK downloads before release is wild and truly shows the magnitude of potential lost revenue. I'm with Nintendo on this one, especially in the current climate where thousands in the gaming industry are losing their jobs daily. Piracy isn't just stealing from Nintendo, its stealing from people who spent countless hours creating these games.

I would take it a step further.

Pirates know there would be no games to pirate if there were no paying customers for the games to be made in the first place.

Essentially pirates leach on fellow gamers that do pay.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

1 million TOTK downloads before release is wild and truly shows the magnitude of potential lost revenue. I'm with Nintendo on this one, especially in the current climate where thousands in the gaming industry are losing their jobs daily. Piracy isn't just stealing from Nintendo, its stealing from people who spent countless hours creating these games.

First off, no one has any obligation to prop Nintendo's or other game developers' business.

Not to mention piracy obviously isn't stealing. Can't believe it's 2024 and some people are still reheating this strawman.

ehhh, I wonder what the worth piracy means..

Well without paying gamers there would be no games to pirate. So can we agree that Pirates leach on their fellow gamers?

G2ThaUNiT said:
TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

What! Man that is such a silly thing to do. Did they actually provide instructions? Source?

Nintendo Says Tears of the Kingdom Was Pirated 1 Million Times Pre-Release in Lawsuit Against Emulator Creator - IGN

"The suit also states Yuzu's website provides detailed instructions on "how to unlawfully acquire" cryptographic keys used to decrypt and play unauthorized copies of Nintendo games through Yuzu."

Credit to Tober on this thread for pointing it out. 

Odd, I saw nothing about that on their site when I looked. All I see is them saying that the only legal way to obtain Switch software to use on the Yuzu emulator, is to first buy a digital or physical copy on Switch, and then dump your switch's memory to your PC hard drive. There is a section about obtaining decryption keys, but it is not about obtaining them illegally from some website that hosts them, it's about dumping them from your Switch console to PC. In fact everything I see on their site promotes not only needing to own a legal Switch console, but also legally own any software that you use on Yuzu. 

https://yuzu-emu.org/help/quickstart/#dumping-decryption-keys

Though maybe they deleted this guide to illegally obtaining decryption keys after news of the lawsuit dropped. 

Seems to be mostly about Nintendo trying to setup a precedent. Despite the flimsy argument of "No spoilers PLZ", other points can definitely be argued in the gray areas of the law.

And to be frank, Nintendo has the money to drag this out in court loooong enough that the Yuzu Team would have to close door and let the remnants of Yuzu be community managed with next to no financial support.

Personally, the preservation argument makes sense, as long as we're talking about legacy content that's currently phased out or threatened to not exist in any capacity.
Modern emulators for current still in use popular hardware is not it.

Edit : 

Btb, if you're in the argument of morality, looking at Reddit emulation threads revealed a lot about Yuzu's devs, to say the least, not so glowing.

Allegedly stolen codes from other Switch emulators like RaijuNX or early access feature via Patreon.

https://imgur.com/ZWoSZSt (longer thread about said issues here)

Some of the attack points of this sueing in particular might simply target specifically Yuzu LLC for "not covering their ass" like they should have and not an attack to the current emulation scene in general.

But meh, this is internet, no subtlety allowed in this debate on the bigger platform I guess

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 28 February 2024

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I consider piracy a lot like driving over the speed limit.

Plenty of people do it without intending any real harm. But if the cop pulls you over, don't cry about it.

Around the Network
Shatts said:

Whatever the method, my problem is the leaking culture. It just kills the hype and excitement. You might say I can emulate the game early as well, but it just doesn't excite me the same way just like you can't handle weapons breaking, it's my preference. It's just annoying and immoral IMO. It's fine if it was just a couple of copies leaking early, but thousands and millions of people make it unavoidable. Emulating is one of those methods, which is why I'm ok with Yuzu gone until the Switch lifecycle ends. It's also annoying seeing people brag about how they are playing a game on an emulator as if anyone cares. People spend way too much time telling others they emulated than playing the game. Once again, it kills my joy of the game seeing those people.

This is utter nonsense.  It is easy to avoid spoilers.  All you have to do is not look at them.  I've been gaming since 1982, and have kept up with the gaming press for much of that time.  I have never had a game spoiled for me. Not one single time, that I can recall. And that's because as soon as spoilers start circulating, everybody talks about the fact that spoilers are around. So, I don't look at those things. It's really very easy. It doesn't require any real effort at all. 

Essentially, one must choose to spoil a game for themselves, otherwise it will not be spoiled.  

G2ThaUNiT said:

Emulation is 100% legal until you start to profit off of it. The fact that Yuzu was stupid enough to brag about their Patreon donations doubling AND provided instructions on how to acquire stolen keys was a shotgun blast to the foot and for that, they deserve what's coming to them. 

You've got emulators like Project64 that have been around since 2001, 23 years, that never came within Nintendo's sights. And that's because they only provide the emulator and nothing else. They even make the source code downloadable on their site to show that they're not stealing anything from Nintendo.

The site I get my ROM's from has been around since 1997, and the entire time, free of charge.

Profiting from emulation is Legal.

Again, Nintendo uses Emulators for the NES/SNES Classic, Virtual Console and some Switch Ports, they made a profit from that.

The issue Yuzu had was that it's other activities were illegal.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

There's arguments to be made for the preservation of older software hasn't been made accessible, or emulating games you bought legally, but when it comes to the piracy of readily available games like TOTK, that's just shit behaviour.

Video games are a luxury, not a necessity or a right, and wanting something doesn't entitle you to take it. If you want something, you should pay your share to its creators.

Pemalite said:

Again, Nintendo uses Emulators for the NES/SNES Classic, Virtual Console and some Switch Ports, they made a profit from that.

Why the urge to point out this idea twice in this thread when we all know we're talking about profiting off emulating the work of others?

padib said:
Pemalite said:

Why the urge to point out this idea twice in this thread when we all know we're talking about profiting off emulating the work of others?

How?. The whole point of what makes Emulation legal is the fact they write the code to "Emulate" them hardware features in software. I dont know but i would imagine that would take a lot of work. I guess thats why Sony used an already developed emu in their PS classic console instead of making one themself..