By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

1 million TOTK downloads before release is wild and truly shows the magnitude of potential lost revenue. I'm with Nintendo on this one, especially in the current climate where thousands in the gaming industry are losing their jobs daily. Piracy isn't just stealing from Nintendo, its stealing from people who spent countless hours creating these games.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:

1 million TOTK downloads before release is wild and truly shows the magnitude of potential lost revenue. I'm with Nintendo on this one, especially in the current climate where thousands in the gaming industry are losing their jobs daily. Piracy isn't just stealing from Nintendo, its stealing from people who spent countless hours creating these games.

Except the emulator itself is not illegal. It's like suing a knife company because someone got stabbed. They key thing is how you use the emulator (knife in this example). What Nintendo should be doing is going after the websites that have the ROMs.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

First off, no one has any obligation to prop Nintendo's or other game developers' business.

Not to mention piracy obviously isn't stealing. Can't believe it's 2024 and some people are still reheating this strawman.

haxxiy said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

First off, no one has any obligation to prop Nintendo's or other game developers' business.

Not to mention piracy obviously isn't stealing. Can't believe it's 2024 and some people are still reheating this strawman.

Piracy Is definitely stealing lol. Your taking something without paying for it. I can't believe it's 2024 and people are still saying stupid shit like this.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

The lost revenue argument is assuming pirates were going to buy it in the first place. I'm not defending piracy but just pointing out the revenue loss is probably exaggerated. I've tried a few old saturn roms for fun, wouldn't have bought anything had it not worked.

And part of emulation falls on companies.  I emulated wind waker hd recently.  I'm would happily pay $50 for a switch version if Nintendo would stop being stupid.  Buying a wii u and wind waker today would be via third party, thus no loss to Nintendo's revenue.

I would like to think we all agree companies could do a lot better with access to historic games.  The current state is god awful.  Just look at the limited release of mario 3d all stars....  that is anti consumer and I don't blame people for not dropping $100+ and going emulation.  Luckily I got a copy on release day, so I'm good.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 28 February 2024

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

First off, where did I say anyone had an obligation to prop up anyone's business? Second, the very definition of piracy is taking something that doesn't belong to you. 

Emulation is 100% legal until you start to profit off of it. The fact that Yuzu was stupid enough to brag about their Patreon donations doubling AND provided instructions on how to acquire stolen keys was a shotgun blast to the foot and for that, they deserve what's coming to them. 

You've got emulators like Project64 that have been around since 2001, 23 years, that never came within Nintendo's sights. And that's because they only provide the emulator and nothing else. They even make the source code downloadable on their site to show that they're not stealing anything from Nintendo.

The site I get my ROM's from has been around since 1997, and the entire time, free of charge.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Emulation is 100% legal until you start to profit off of it. The fact that Yuzu was stupid enough to brag about their Patreon donations doubling AND provided instructions on how to acquire stolen keys was a shotgun blast to the foot and for that, they deserve what's coming to them. 

You've got emulators like Project64 that have been around since 2001, 23 years, that never came within Nintendo's sights. And that's because they only provide the emulator and nothing else. They even make the source code downloadable on their site to show that they're not stealing anything from Nintendo.

The site I get my ROM's from has been around since 1997, and the entire time, free of charge.

What! Man that is such a silly thing to do. Did they actually provide instructions? Source?

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

What! Man that is such a silly thing to do. Did they actually provide instructions? Source?

Nintendo Says Tears of the Kingdom Was Pirated 1 Million Times Pre-Release in Lawsuit Against Emulator Creator - IGN

"The suit also states Yuzu's website provides detailed instructions on "how to unlawfully acquire" cryptographic keys used to decrypt and play unauthorized copies of Nintendo games through Yuzu."

Credit to Tober on this thread for pointing it out. 

shikamaru317 said:

I don't think that is winnable, I seem to recall Sony previously suing an emulator maker and losing, with the court deciding emulators are fair use. Considering the judge has that precedent to call on, I just don't see Nintendo winning. They'd be better off suing the sites that host Switch game files to use on said emulators, without first verifying that the user owns a copy of the Switch game.

Edit: Looking into it more, Sony seemingly had a much stronger case against Bleem than Nintendo has against the makers of Yuzu emulator. Bleem was not only selling their emulator (Yuzu is free as far as I can tell), but Bleem themselves were planning on selling Playstation game packs to use on the Dreamcast version of the emulator, hurting both Sony and other game publishers by stripping them of possible software sales, and still Sony lost in court. Sony only defeated Bleem via attrition, fighting off the Sony lawsuits caused them so many legal fees they went bankrupt.

Yuzu by comparison to Bleem is a free emulator and their FAQ says that the only legal way to get Switch games to use on Yuzu emulator is to own a digital or physical copy on Switch and then dump your Switch's memory files onto your PC's hard drive.

Maybe Nintendo's goal, much like Sony, is not to win, but to put Yuzu out of business with legal fees. But in an age of crowdfunding, that could be difficult, I'm sure there are plenty of Yuzu users who will contribute to Yuzu's legal defense fund if Yuzu sets one up. And even if Nintendo does stop Yuzu, there is always the other Switch emulator, Ryujinx.

Or scare people in trying to develop an emulator for Switch2. The timing is a factor here.