By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Quarterly Sales Update: Switch at 139.36m shipped

Dulfite said:
RolStoppable said:

You say that as if the console market as a whole would still care about the Xbox brand. 2023 has been more or less the peak sales performance for the Xbox Series and yet it was still outsold roughly 2:1 by an aging Switch.

If Xbox S2 launches in 2026, then it is highly likely PS6 will also launch that year. Either way, NS2 won't feel as exciting for the casuals when those two launch. NS1 had 2.5-3 years of being the newest major console on the market before competition released XS and PS5.

I just think Nintendo is crippling their long term sales potential of NS2 hardware by not releasing it this year. I'd be happy to eat my words by 2031 if it happens. 

Is there anything behind these Xbox 2026 rumors or is it just baseless, “Xbox isn’t doing good so they should get a head start next time” speculation?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Is there anything behind these Xbox 2026 rumors or is it just baseless, “Xbox isn’t doing good so they should get a head start next time” speculation?

There aren't. But assuming they are doing worse than even the XB1, they might try to repeat the 360 scenario with a year or even 2 years ahead of PS6 launch.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts

XtremeBG said:

On the topic itself, 2025 launch is still just a rumour. I don't know why everyone didn't believe and doubt the 2024 launch, but now when a rumour of 2025 launch get's out all of a sudden everyone pretends like it's a lock 100%. Everything can happen, and everything can change.

Well, it was reliable enough to have Nintendo's shares drop more than 4% this Monday (recovering from an initial 8% drop). So there was likely fire to this smoke.

XtremeBG said:

There aren't. But assuming they are doing worse than even the XB1, they might try to repeat the 360 scenario with a year or even 2 years ahead of PS6 launch.

Wasn't that more about the PS3 being late rather than the X360 being early, though? Considering both were designed with similar-specced tech in mind except for the disc drive.

An early launch for the next Xbox would be more like the Mega Drive or the Dreamcast... neither of which really worked in the end.

haxxiy said:
XtremeBG said:

On the topic itself, 2025 launch is still just a rumour. I don't know why everyone didn't believe and doubt the 2024 launch, but now when a rumour of 2025 launch get's out all of a sudden everyone pretends like it's a lock 100%. Everything can happen, and everything can change.

Well, it was reliable enough to have Nintendo's shares drop more than 4% this Monday (recovering from an initial 8% drop). So there was likely fire to this smoke.

XtremeBG said:

Wasn't that more about the PS3 being late rather than the X360 being early, though? Considering both were designed with similar-specced tech in mind except for the disc drive.

An early launch for the next Xbox would be more like the Mega Drive or the Dreamcast... neither of which really worked in the end.

The specs were similar in power but, unless I am mistaken, Microsoft did explicitly rush the 360 launch to beat the PS3 to the market.

Dulfite said:
RolStoppable said:

You say that as if the console market as a whole would still care about the Xbox brand. 2023 has been more or less the peak sales performance for the Xbox Series and yet it was still outsold roughly 2:1 by an aging Switch.

If Xbox S2 launches in 2026, then it is highly likely PS6 will also launch that year. Either way, NS2 won't feel as exciting for the casuals when those two launch. NS1 had 2.5-3 years of being the newest major console on the market before competition released XS and PS5.

I just think Nintendo is crippling their long term sales potential of NS2 hardware by not releasing it this year. I'd be happy to eat my words by 2031 if it happens. 

I’m genuinely trying to think when this scenario has occurred in the past, the hot new toy eclipsing the existing new toy and impacting long term sales. Didn’t happen with DS vs PSP, Switch vs PS4, N64 vs PS1, NES vs Genesis, Game Gear/Turbo Express/Wonderswan/Lynx vs Gameboy etc; I guess you could make a case for PS1 vs Saturn, PS2 vs Dreamcast, and Wii vs 360/PS3, though I feel like long term sales were impacted by the shortcomings of the console/software rather than new competition. 

There’s just a lot of variables here, the most important being how well received the SW2 hardware is by the casual audience. If that’s clicking, and the first party heavy hitters are rolling out, coupled with a more than likely lower price point than PS6 and NextBox, I don’t see them coming 1.5 years later having much impact on long term sales. Time will tell tho, see you in ‘31 lol

Around the Network
AddRat said:

The specs were similar in power but, unless I am mistaken, Microsoft did explicitly rush the 360 launch to beat the PS3 to the market.

More like they expected the PS3 to have launched by late 2005 as well.

Dean Takahashi (yes, that same dude who failed miserably to play Cuphead's tutorial) has a whole book about the X360's development and it seems like MS was always expecting their first console to have a short lifetime due to the PS2, the market leader, coming out 18 months earlier.

curl-6 said:
Fight-the-Streets said:

At end of FY2025 (end of March 2025), the Switch will be at 150 mil minimum but could even reach 153 mil. Selling around 10 mil more for the rest of its life seems rather realistic.

They might phase it out quickly in favour of its successor though, so it might be a PS4 situation where it only sells a few million after replacement.

You still can buy a new PS4 Slim (and a PS4 Pro at least here in Europe and I guess in NA too). Sony just refused to give them price cuts. Anyway, Nintendo doesn't give a damn on what kind of business decisions Sony, Microsoft or any company makes. They only look for themselves! I also don't like to look back into history what happend back then in former console transitions because with the Switch a completely new era started for Nintendo. Therefore, there's little value in interpreting the past and trying to make a conclusion for the current situation. 

But even if we look into Nintendo's past console transitions, it was only 2x where they killed off a previous generation: 1. The GBA (Nintendo went into panic mode because of the upcoming release of the PSP, so they killed the GBA off and released the DS early), 2. The DS (because the 3DS wasn't selling well intially and it needed Nintendo's full attention, so they killed the DS off). In hintsight, it probably would have been better to fully support the Wii another year and not release the WiiU before end of 2013. However, I wouldn't say that Nintendo killed off the Wii because back then, of course, Nintendo fully believed in the success of the WiiU. Therefore, resources for game development were naturally taken away from Wii and brought to WiiU. Additionally, the Wii really didn't have that much more life in it. It was a fad console and this fad was gone by 2012. I don't see a scenario where Nintendo has to kill off the Switch 1. The worst case scenario is if the Switch 2 doesn't sell well and it will need Nintendo's full attention. But even then, they can't afford to kill off the Switch 1 because should the Switch 2 struggling they have only the Switch 1 left to fall back on (any other business like revenue/royalities from smartphone games, movies, theme parks, amiibos and merchandise are still just niche income compared to their dedicated hard- and software business).

In FY2026 (ending March 31, 2026), with the Switch 2 newly on the market, the Switch 1 probably will take a hit in sales of about 50% which would still be in the 5 to 5.5 mil range. These are still good numbers and too early to stop manufacturing. Usually, console production stops when they anticipate that the yearly sales will fall below 1 mil. In that regard, the PS2 was actually killed off when production stopped in January 2013 because for this whole fiscal year (April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013), as we know, the PS2 shipped a mathematical minimum of 3.5 mil (some believe it must have shipped 4.1 mil as in Sony's financial report they didn't mention that the PS2 sales where down compared to last FY). These were still good numbers, too early to actually stop production. However, Sony didn't have a choice as the PS4 was coming up and they still produced the PS3, PS Vita and PSP. There simply was no production capacity left for the PS2.

Nintendo on the other hand will not face production capacity issues as they will have to support only two consoles: Switch 2 and Switch 1. And even if the Switch 1 will have a short life post-Switch 2 release, it certainly will be produced for a minimum of 2 years after the Switch 2 has launched, shorter than that is just not realistic.

Pricing for Switch 1 will be interesting. If the Switch 2 releases for $400, I'm sure the OLED model will not keep the $350 price tag. Nintendo will lower the price. I don't think the OG Switch will be faded out immediately, so when the OLED goes down in price, the OG has to go down as well and so will the Switch Lite. I and others said it several times: People who will buy the Switch 1 in 2024 and beyond are price sensitive people. They will anyway not buy a Switch 2 early in its lifecycle. In other words: The post-Switch 2 sales of Switch 1 will not hurt the sales of the Switch 2 in any way!

I'm quite opptimistic (and in fact realistic) that the Switch will beat the PS2.

Last edited by Fight-the-Streets - on 19 February 2024

Fight-the-Streets said:
curl-6 said:

They might phase it out quickly in favour of its successor though, so it might be a PS4 situation where it only sells a few million after replacement.

You still can buy a new PS4 Slim (and a PS4 Pro at least here in Europe and I guess in NA too). Sony just refused to give them price cuts. Anyway, Nintendo doesn't give a damn on what kind of business decisions Sony, Microsoft or any company makes. They only look for themselves! I also don't like to look back into history what happend back then in former console transitions because with the Switch a completely new era started for Nintendo. Therefore, there's little value in interpreting the past and trying to make a conclusion for the current situation. 

But even if we look into Nintendo's past console transitions, it was only 2x where they killed off a previous generation: 1. The GBA (Nintendo went into panic mode because of the upcoming release of the PSP, so they killed the GBA off and released the DS early), 2. The DS (because the 3DS wasn't selling well intially and it needed Nintendo's full attention, so they killed the DS off). In hintsight, it probably would have been better to fully support the Wii another year and not release the WiiU before end of 2013. However, I wouldn't say that Nintendo killed off the Wii because back then, of course, Nintendo fully believed in the success of the WiiU. Therefore, resources for game development were naturally taken away from Wii and brought to WiiU. Additionally, the Wii really didn't have that much more life in it. It was a fad console and this fad was gone by 2012.

In FY2026 (ending March 31, 2026), with the Switch 2 newly on the market, the Switch 1 probably will take a hit in sales of about 50% which would still be in the 5 to 5.5 mil range. These are still good numbers and too early to stop manufacturing it. Usually, console production stops when they anticipate that the yearly sales will fall below 1 mil. In that regard, the PS2 was actually killed off when production stopped in January 2013 because for this whole fiscal year (April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013), as we know, the PS2 shipped a mathematical minimum of 3.5 mil (some believe it must have shipped 4.1 mil as in Sony's financial report they didn't mention that the PS2 sales where down compared to last FY). These were still good numbers, too early to actually stop productions. However, Sony didn't have a choice as the PS3 was coming up and they still produced the PSP and PS Vita was still kinda new. There simply was no production capacity anymore for the PS2.

Nintendo on the other hand will not face production capacity issues as they will have to support only two consoles: Switch 2 and Switch 1. And even if the Switch 1 will have a short life post-Switch 2 release, it certainly will be produced for a minimum of 2 years after the Switch 2 has launched, shorter than that is just not realistic.

Pricing for Switch 1 will be interesting. If the Switch 2 releases for $400, I'm sure the OLED model will not keep the $350 price tag. Nintendo will lower the price. I don't think the OG Switch will be faded out immediately, so when the OLED goes down in price, the OG has to go down as well and so will the Switch Lite. I and others said it several times: People who will buy the Switch 1 in 2024 and beyond are price sensitive people. They will anyway not buy a Switch 2 early in its lifecycle. In other words: The post-Switch 2 sales of Switch 1 will not hurt the sales of the Switch 2 in any way!

I'm quite opptimistic (and in fact realistic) that the Switch will beat the PS2.

I gotta appreciate how well this was articulated.

I agree 100%. Nintendo does whatever Nintendoes. Most if not all consoles take a -50% decline in sales for the FY when the successors are released.
Switch will most likely put this upcoming FY at 10M, so the following FY with the rumored release of the new console being at 5M.

Nintendo keeps their old products up for at least 2-3 years after the release of its successor.
If the Nintendo successor releases at $400, the OLED should drop near $330 or even to $300 (personal speculation). The OLED has been the main seller for the Switch this past year and will be the main seller in the years to come.

The writing is in the walls, the clues are getting clearer and the Switch will outsell the PS2. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Dulfite said:
RolStoppable said:

Yeah if Switch 2 misses this year Nintendo have dropped the ball. The time is ripe; Switch is winding down but isn't yet dead, and the competition is in a slump.

If they wait til next year they'll lose significant momentum; 2024 is looking to be a barren year for the Switch, and if the system ends on a sour note like the Wii, people will be less keen for its successor. Profits and goodwill will take a hit.

Fight-the-Streets said:
curl-6 said:

But even if we look into Nintendo's past console transitions, it was only 2x where they killed off a previous generation: 1. The GBA (Nintendo went into panic mode because of the upcoming release of the PSP, so they killed the GBA off and released the DS early), 2. The DS (because the 3DS wasn't selling well intially and it needed Nintendo's full attention, so they killed the DS off). In hintsight, it probably would have been better to fully support the Wii another year and not release the WiiU before end of 2013. However, I wouldn't say that Nintendo killed off the Wii because back then, of course, Nintendo fully believed in the success of the WiiU. Therefore, resources for game development were naturally taken away from Wii and brought to WiiU. Additionally, the Wii really didn't have that much more life in it. It was a fad console and this fad was gone by 2012. I don't see a scenario where Nintendo has to kill off the Switch 1. The worst case scenario is if the Switch 2 doesn't sell well and it will need Nintendo's full attention. But even then, they can't afford to kill off the Switch 1 because should the Switch 2 struggling they have only the Switch 1 left to fall back on (any other business like revenue/royalities from smartphone games, movies, theme parks, amiibos and merchandise are still just niche income compared to their dedicated hard- and software business).

In FY2026 (ending March 31, 2026), with the Switch 2 newly on the market, the Switch 1 probably will take a hit in sales of about 50% which would still be in the 5 to 5.5 mil range. These are still good numbers and too early to stop manufacturing. Usually, console production stops when they anticipate that the yearly sales will fall below 1 mil. In that regard, the PS2 was actually killed off when production stopped in January 2013 because for this whole fiscal year (April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013), as we know, the PS2 shipped a mathematical minimum of 3.5 mil (some believe it must have shipped 4.1 mil as in Sony's financial report they didn't mention that the PS2 sales where down compared to last FY). These were still good numbers, too early to actually stop production. However, Sony didn't have a choice as the PS4 was coming up and they still produced the PS3, PS Vita and PSP. There simply was no production capacity left for the PS2.

It would be cool if it did outsell PS2, but Nintendo seems to have altogether given up on official price cuts along with the rest of the industry; Switch still costs as much now as it did 7 years ago. More so than Sony or MS Nintendo prioritises profits margins over unit sales. 

haxxiy said:

Launching ahead of the competition actually worked really well for the Megadrive; by leapfrogging the NES and getting a head start on the SNES they managed to gain a lot of market share, and they were actually outselling the Super Nintendo for much of the 4th generation, until Nintendo got a second wind in its later life with games like Donkey Kong Country.

curl-6 said:

Yeah if Switch 2 misses this year Nintendo have dropped the ball.

If it’s delayed to late 2025 than I agree but if it’s early 2025 than it’s probably not that big of a deal. A ~3.5 month delay between late November 2024 & early March 2025 won’t make a huge difference. Basically, I would prefer holiday 2024 but if it releases this fiscal year than I’m not too worried.

As for Nintendo’s lineup this year

Jan-Another Code: Recollection

Feb-Mario vs Donkey Kong

March-Princess Peach Showtime

Summer-Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD

2024-Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

Obviously that’s not a great lineup but a few points, 1. Nintendo often has a barren lineup this time of year then a Feb/March Direct shows off more titles releasing in the Spring/Summer and 2. I have a feeling Nintendo has a few titles waiting in the wings in case of an unexpected drought. I could absolutely see ports of Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Metroid Prime 2&3 being mixed in there along with new installments of smaller IP like Rhythm Heaven.

Then there is the possibility of having a true price cut (Lite-$169.99, OLED-$299.99, original-discontinued)

Next fiscal year shipments could be something like Switch, 10-11 million and Switch 2, 3-4 million and that would be a pretty good result.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.