By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest leap forward from a system to its successor

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Does anyone care about Wii to WiiU ?
Imagine a comparison between Xenoblade 1 and Xenoblade X for example.

Wii to WiiU was certainly a pretty big jump. Definitely amplified by the fact that GC to Wii jump was tiny.

Around the Network

Many many years ago a buddy called me over to see his launch xbox 360 playing pgr3 and fight night on a HDTV it was absolutely mind blowing the clarity difference from what I had at home

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Definitely the jump from the SNES to N64.
Whilst Sega went from Genesis to Saturn, the N64 was a far larger leap forwards.

haxxiy said:

The N64 was about 200 times more powerful than the SNES and 3-4 times as powerful as the PS1. Nothing else comes close to this sort of gap.

It, however, severely lacked RAM, having just about a quarter of what it reasonably should. Not to mention horribly compressed cartridge games. Talk about some of the worst design choices ever.

The Nintendo 64 wasn't really Ram limited.
With the expansion pack you could have 8MB... And the system can theoretically support around 12-16MB which is the upper limit from the initialization routines on the system itself... The Nintendo 64 was able to be fairly memory efficient as it can stream data directly from the ROM carts with no load times.

The issue was that stupid 4kb of texture cache... With a unified memory architecture it was a stupid and unnecessary decision.

In saying that... People have been going back to the Nintendo 64 and "optimizing" nintendo 64 games by making them more efficient as the Nintendo 64 had a comparatively modern memory hierarchy that developers didn't really come to grips with until half way through the PS2 era.
I.E. Taking Mario 64 and making it run at 60fps on the real hardware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_rzYnXEQlE&t=724s

Gotta' remember that the SNES had single cycle memory, so the N64 was seen as slow and high latency by comparison.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Zippy6 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Wii to WiiU was certainly a pretty big jump. Definitely amplified by the fact that GC to Wii jump was tiny.

With Switch being a small jump from Wii U (it's pretty much a Wii U Pro), fingers crossed we're in for a big jump with Switch 2.

I'm going to be really bummed if Switch 2 in docked mode only hovers around Xbox One/Xbox One S territory. And if it's even a little below that (but well above a Switch) that will also be disappointing. I feel like PS4 is the floor for what Switch 2 in docked should be, with PS4 Pro or above as a realistic ceiling. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

People are kind of ignoring handhelds, but it may be the GBC to GBA. Look at something like Donkey Kong Country on GBC to Golden Sun. That's a pretty huge gap.

For me it was the SNES to N64. That 3D jump was 1 of a kind.

Followed would have to be the N64 to Gamecube. Seeing games like Luigis Mansion looked like a Pixar Movie.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

NES to SNES for sure. There are barely any pre-SNES games I consider good.

While the introduction of 3d is ofc technically impressive SNES to N64 was honestly a sidestep imo, on average I'd say the games got worse but a few (OoT and MM) really outshined what had come before. Then the GameCube was another huge step forward where the average quality improved significantly.

The leaps for PlayStation consoles have been more gradual as I see it, but they've never felt insignificant either (perhaps not counting PS4 to PS5 which is too early to fully speak for).

@bold: Oh, that's really interesting. If the leap is judged by quality, then that's a totally legitimate pick. The NES generation was hugely important for the industry, but it can't compare to the SNES years, which delivered masterpiece after masterpiece.

Judged on a technological level, I will be boring and echo the majority of posts: SNES to N64. I can't really put into words how the leap from 2D pixels to 3D polygons shifted how I understood and appreciated video game design and art. It blew the back of my head right off when I was 13.

The last time I felt anything similar was the jump to HD in 2005/2006. Since then, it has felt very much like diminishing returns.

SNES to N64 and PS2 to PS3, hd gaming also did a lot and the difference between God of War 2 and The Last of Us is still very big.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

JWeinCom said:

People are kind of ignoring handhelds, but it may be the GBC to GBA. Look at something like Donkey Kong Country on GBC to Golden Sun. That's a pretty huge gap.

3DS to Switch is also a huge gap, since the Switch is also a handheld console

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar