By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest leap forward from a system to its successor

SNES to N64 (3D)
N64 to GameCube (the first time I noticed a massive leap into realism with games like RE0, RE1 (remake), RE4, Soul Calibur 2, Zelda: TP)
GBA to DS (3D)
PS2 to PS3 (HD, MGS4, Uncharted Trilogy, RE5, RE6, Castlevania: LoS, DMC)
Wii to Wii U (HD)
3DS to Switch (Probably the biggest leap, it's like comparing a hypothetical console with graphics between a Dreamcast/PS2 to a PS3 Pro (not that the PS3 Pro existed))

There are a lot of comparisons to choose from, but everything after 7th gen felt like a small improvement (with the exception of Nintendo in the 8th gen).

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

Around the Network
masschamber said:

7800 to Jaguar, just nobody thinks about it

to

I didn't even think of 7800 to Jaguar, great call. That one's definitely a strong contender, going from NES-like games to early 3D, basically gen 3 to gen 5 in one fell swoop.

00Xander00 said:

3DS to Switch (Probably the biggest leap, it's like comparing a hypothetical console with graphics between a Dreamcast/PS2 to a PS3 Pro (not that the PS3 Pro existed))

Yeah in terms of the Nintendo handheld experience, this was an absolutely massive leap, we went from this

To this