By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 1, 2024 (Jan 01 - Jan 07)

brute said:

Anyone have a comparison between Super Mario Bros Wonder and New Super Mario Bros Wii?

Curious how they compare over the holidays, even if Wonder has digital sales.

This is from the Famitsu thread on InstallBase:

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

Playstation sells a lot more digital media. Ghost of Tsushima sold more than 1 million units in Japan alone, only a small part was on physical media. Physical media sales don't matter for Playstation

By November of 2020, Ghost had sold 412,868 physical units in Japan: famitsu

As of May of last year, Sony reported 1m total copies in the region.

So it's about 50/50 for digital/physical for Ghost in Japan.  Digital is growing, but physical copies do matter and are still indicative of sales performance to some degree.

CosmicSex said:
Mar1217 said:

They both are, though to what extend ? This is a nebulous point in this whole affair. From the software charts alone, you'd think the proportion of Switch hardware being exported there isn't too big.

Earlier reports of PS5 exports pointed out that a large portion of it's sales at one point were allocated to exportation. Software sales charts seems to indicate so, yet no numbers have been given to know what proportions we are speaking here.

This is false.  We don't have any real indication of software sales of the PS5 or Xbox in Japan because more than half are digital and those sales are not recorded by Famitsu.  Please stop tying to make it a fact when it isn't.  You are replacing the absence of information with your own facts. You don't know what percentage of Switch and PS5 are exported.  Switch exports could very well be higher and you wouldn't know just like I don't know. 

I'm literally speculating and you're trying to speak of it as if I'm stating facts ... Bruh, this ain't it.

Not only that but you're trying to cover your own tail by saying that you don't know either the info on digital ratios because we don't have the information officially. Meaning, your point is mute. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
CosmicSex said:

This is false.  We don't have any real indication of software sales of the PS5 or Xbox in Japan because more than half are digital and those sales are not recorded by Famitsu.  Please stop tying to make it a fact when it isn't.  You are replacing the absence of information with your own facts. You don't know what percentage of Switch and PS5 are exported.  Switch exports could very well be higher and you wouldn't know just like I don't know. 

I'm literally speculating and you're trying to speak of it as if I'm stating facts ... Bruh, this ain't it.

Not only that but you're trying to cover your own tail by saying that you don't know either the info on digital ratios because we don't have the information officially. Meaning, your point is mute. 

You don't even understand my point.  I am saying that the Switch has sold more.  Fact.  I said that more than likely if both are being exported the Switch is being exported even more than the more expensive PS5.  The Switch is cheaper.  That is a Fact.  I'm saying thats all we know.  Fact.  Period.  I'm insisting that it is annoying to keep bring up this theory and only acting like it impacts the PS5.  If you are attributing some of Sony's sales to exports, you aught to be doing the same thing for Nintendo's sales.  Thats my point.  I am saying that the Chinese would likely want both consoles. And I'm saying that software sales don't give us any real indication as to whats happening on the gray market.   I'm saying your speculation is flawed. 

archbrix said:
jvmkdg said:

Playstation sells a lot more digital media. Ghost of Tsushima sold more than 1 million units in Japan alone, only a small part was on physical media. Physical media sales don't matter for Playstation

By November of 2020, Ghost had sold 412,868 physical units in Japan: famitsu

As of May of last year, Sony reported 1m total copies in the region.

So it's about 50/50 for digital/physical for Ghost in Japan.  Digital is growing, but physical copies do matter and are still indicative of sales performance to some degree.

To some degree for sure but to what degree is really uncertain.  In order to figure it out you would have to at least know the digital/physical ratio for Switch games.  With that information, you could take into account the 6:1 Switch/PS5 current ratio in Japan and then you could figure out if it makes sense to see PS5 titles in the top 30 physical chart.  That's the type of analysis you would have to do to make a real analytical assessment.  If anyone has the Nintendo split information I can do some calculations and determine if PS5 software is underperforming on the physical charts given a 50/50 split.  We don't need to speculate, we can do our own calculations with enough info.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
Mar1217 said:

You don't even understand my point.  I am saying that the Switch has sold more.  Fact.  I said that more than likely if both are being exported the Switch is being exported even more than the more expensive PS5.  The Switch is cheaper.  That is a Fact.  I'm saying thats all we know.  Fact.  Period.  I'm insisting that it is annoying to keep bring up this theory and only acting like it impacts the PS5.  If you are attributing some of Sony's sales to exports, you aught to be doing the same thing for Nintendo's sales.  Thats my point.  I am saying that the Chinese would likely want both consoles. And I'm saying that software sales don't give us any real indication as to whats happening on the gray market.   I'm saying your speculation is flawed. 

One of my sentences acknowledges this fact, my speculation stems from the extend of how much we're are speaking here. And all I do is basically take the dataset we get from Famitsu to come to the conclusion that exports of PS5 were and are still important. Could be the same for Switch but having a strong set of software sales leaves me to speculate otherwise. Simple as that.  You can bring up digital unknowns to support that my stance may be flawed but the whole angle with which you went to argue that what I said stands for pure facts was wrong and misrepresented my intent.

Also if you wanna argue, your angle to which a cheaper Switch would theorically be more desirable to export than the PS5 is also flawed simply for the fact that the Switch is an aging console against a PS5 that just received a new model. Basically, the new-ess of it makes it a more desirable product for exports. Therefore without a set of solid dataset on the topic, your speculation is just as flawed 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Nice to see a 100+ week from the Switch after not getting any during December. Though this'll likely be the last and if not for sure among the last. PS5 will probably drop a fair amount soon and for some reason the 3DS is still being tracked.

King Switch coming for PS2 sales thanks to Japanese support

Qwark said:
XtremeBG said:

Nice start for the Switch. Didn't expected whole november and december to not be able to make over 100k weekly, but then in January on the very start of the month and the year to hit over 100k.

I feel like for the PS5, there is no holiday period, no winter, no summer, everytime it's sales are all the same .. It doesn't move.

Also interesting feat continues between the XBSX and PS4, maybe I should've done this comparison again for this year. It is looking even more close than the last one.

I expect the PS5 will go down to 15-20k after FFVII rebirth and Rise of the Ronin has launched. After Q1 the Japanese gamer will face a drought, until Dragon Quest, Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Monster Hunter will launch, most likely all these titles won't launch this year. The Switch still has plenty of releases ahead that the Japanese market likes.

There have already been plenty of draughts with a stable baseline though. To the contrary Q2 hardware baseline should benefit from the amount of content in Q1

Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth
Tekken 8
Persona 3 Reload
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Dragons Dogma 2
Rise of Ronin

This is the strongest software quarter for the japanese market playstation 5 has probably had since launch. 5 of those releases could be 100k+ openers which is a lot by third party standards, particularly on playstation

Is spiderman being bundled? What's the sudden surge in sales?