By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the Switch successor be announced?

Announcement in April, reveal Summer 2024, release September 2024. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them slip something in in February, but I also think they want to keep this fiscal year clean of that next gen malaise that kills a current gen console. They absolutely want to squeeze as much out of the current Switch as they can. Expect a $100 Switch price reduction following the announcement as well as they try to clear stock and get their warehouses full of Switch 2s.

Around the Network

No Christmas announcement... next date would be late march 24 to avoid angry buyers that just burned $350 on their new OLED. Release must be summer 24 to avoid direct competition with Sony Christmas sale.

Oh boy, that next fiscal year Q&A meeting is gonna be one helluva ride if it so happens that they make no mention of an upcoming console for the next fiscal year lol.

What's with people thinking they will suddenly have a turnaround of 3-4 months between the announcement and it being on store shelves ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Given the current state of the economy especially, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce until late next year, possibly with a release date of late 2025 or even later. But maybe I'm just being biased as I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Switch OLED early next year, so having the Switch 2 close on the horizon while being stuck with a new OLED model would blow :P. I just can't hold out with my launch Switch model anymore, as the battery lasts like 25 minutes and I 90% prefer to play in handheld mode.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

DarthMetalliCube said:

Given the current state of the economy especially, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce until late next year, possibly with a release date of late 2025 or even later. But maybe I'm just being biased as I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Switch OLED early next year, so having the Switch 2 close on the horizon while being stuck with a new OLED model would blow :P. I just can't hold out with my launch Switch model anymore, as the battery lasts like 25 minutes and I 90% prefer to play in handheld mode.

I'm sure you're exaggerating about the battery life but really, as a Switch OLED enjoyer, the improved battery life is great. 

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Around the Network

Q2 2024. That's calendar Q2, not any company's fiscal year

I say that based on nothing other than a belief that it will launch between September 2024 and March 2025, and several months lead time for the announcement feels about right.

On the other hand, if it's not going to launch before holiday 2024, they may want to keep chatter about the system down so it's not to kill holiday 2024 sales for Switch.  That might mean a later reveal. Still, I'm leaning towards a Q2 2024 announcement.

I remember in summer 2022 everybody speculating Switch2 would launch in first half 2023. Especially after the inventory increase on the June financial reports. It's almost impossible to know.

Early may will be the publication of FY2024. They always give a forecast on how many systems they like to sell next FY(2025). If we have no confirmation before early may a new console is coming, Switch2 will slip into 2025

I'm basically in the same situation with my launch window Switch. I feel like it's too late for any model change with the OLED so I'll just wait for the successor to come out with the BC.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Tomorrow, I hope. I don't know anymore if I am living my life or just waiting for this announcement

Last edited by 160rmf - on 29 December 2023

We reap what we sow

Tbh I think Nintendo will announce the existence of new hardware coming in the Spring of 2024, maybe a Codename or just an announcement that they're working on new hardware, they might possibly do it during their fiscal year earnings report at around April/May so Nintendo could still keep pushing Switch hardware til the very last minute to reach their sales forecast just before the fiscal year ends. I believe a full reveal will happen at around the Fall before a March 2025 release. I'm still skeptical that Switch 2 will release in Q4 2024 since it'll be very uncharacteristic for Nintendo to go from announcement to release within a very small 6 month window, and no the Switch 1 isn't the same because the NX was announced 2 whole years before release.