By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Nintendo suck at making "Core gamer" consoles?

Spindel said:
OneTime said:

I always assumed that a core gamer would have both Switch and either PS5 or Xbox. Anyone who doesn't have both is a casual.

OK this take is as stupid as OP. 

I didn’t think that was possible but congratulations you did it!

The Joke -->  *

Your head --> 0

Around the Network
JackHandy said:

The short answer is yes. Ever since Sega defined what core was, Nintendo has struggled with it. Sometimes it's caused them to bottom out, other times, they've managed to navigate and do well in spite of it. But since the 16-bit wars, they've been pretty clueless when it comes to the "core" crowd. Either that, or they don't care.

Sega?  The same sega that has been irrelevant for decades meanwhile Nintendo actually matters in the world of gaming?  I'm pretty sure sega define 1 hit wonder.  Outside the genesis sega has crashed and burned on everything.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Spindel said:

What are you talking about?

Nintendo is the only company making consoles for core gamers.

The other ones only make consoles for casuals only playing the seasonal COD or FIFA game.

Nope Nintendo is core gaming machine if you like Nintendo games. The others get every game in the industry+first party and have vastly better perfomance and graphics.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 18 December 2023

Chrkeller said:
JackHandy said:

The short answer is yes. Ever since Sega defined what core was, Nintendo has struggled with it. Sometimes it's caused them to bottom out, other times, they've managed to navigate and do well in spite of it. But since the 16-bit wars, they've been pretty clueless when it comes to the "core" crowd. Either that, or they don't care.

Sega?  The same sega that has been irrelevant for decades meanwhile Nintendo actually matters in the world of gaming?  I'm pretty sure sega define 1 hit wonder.  Outside the genesis sega has crashed and burned on everything.

He's actually correct despite it all sounding so wrong.

"Core" as we are talking about here is defined as gamers who don't like Nintendo, ever since the Sega days. So it's not surprising that Nintendo can never get it right. Once you grasp this truth, all the other pieces fall into place in these weird discussions about what "core" means.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Chrkeller said:

He's actually correct despite it all sounding so wrong.

"Core" as we are talking about here is defined as gamers who don't like Nintendo, ever since the Sega days. So it's not surprising that Nintendo can never get it right. Once you grasp this truth, all the other pieces fall into place in these weird discussions about what "core" means.

I wonder if "core" gamers will ever realize they are niche and casuals are the majority?

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

SEGA's marketing targeting older teens and college students set the tone for what Sony would do but better.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I think switch 2 will probably be Nintendo best core gaming console ever. probably beating super nes it will probably get almost every big game franchise. Resident evil, monster hunter, from software games, tekken, street fighter, cyber punk, gta6 and witcher 4 and they won't look like mud.

TheMisterManGuy said:
Leynos said:

There is no such thing. The dumbass label was created by insecure dumbasses.

Funny thing is, this whole sentiment started because of Nintendo's infamous E3 08, when all they had to show that year WAS non-gamer/newbie software. The media and Nintendo diehards ripped them to shreds for that conference, and the Wii had a difficult time recovering from that perception. But at least Satoru Iwata admitted that presentation went too far in that direction and tried to course correct in later years of the Wii.

Yet, Microsoft spends five years in a row trying to shove Kinect down everybody's throat with the Xbox 360 and initially, the Xbox One, with almost nothing for "core gamers", and the general media response was more or less "eh.. its whatevs." 

It was always pretty unfair that Nintendo got so much shit for one bad year in 2008, yet Microsoft's Kinect fetish did far more lasting damage than that, and people weren't nearly as harsh.

No, it started when Nintendo marketed a console that looked like a purple lunch box with a controller that looked like it was made by Fischer-Price, and showed off "Cel-da" at E3 2001. Then continued when Nintendo was using Mario Party and Pac Man Vs. to compete with Grand Theft Auto III. The Wii just brought the sentiment into the mainstream and justified it in many insecure dumbasses' minds when they could now stand on the backs of system specs comparisons.

Yeah E3 '08 was a shit-show, yet the Switch was still selling shitloads, and it's best selling third party game was Carnival Games, released a year earlier. If Nintendo had completely skipped E3 that year, absolutely nothing about the console's perception or Nintendo's history changes.

TheMisterManGuy said:

The funny thing about the Switch is that, if you actually try to use it as a pure, no-nonsense home console for hardcore gaming (Keeping it permanently docked, using only the Pro Controller)... It kinda sucks, especially if you own other systems. Its woefully under-powered compared to the other consoles, it's online service is still mediocre, you still miss out on all the biggest AAA third party games, and when you do get them, they're heavily compressed miracle ports or cloud versions. It just becomes a lame Xbox One knock-off at that point. The Switch only becomes a good system when you actually use it as intended (Playing un-docked frequently, detaching the Joy-Con for multiplayer or motion controls, etc.)

Yet apparently, some people prefer that shit, which is why you see some people argue that the Switch is some kind of return to "hardcore" Nintendo, yet the console's two best selling games are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Animal Crossing New Horizons. The two most casual and newbie friendly franchises in existence. Don't get me wrong, I adore the GameCube, but it's one of Nintendo's least successful consoles for a reason. It was a hardcore Nintendo system, for hardcore Nintendo fans, and look how well that turned out.

The funny thing about all consoles is that they are all filthy casual machines compared to PC. No console will ever out-spec PC gaming. You can use all controllers and control methods on PC. Even games that release with bad ports or in a crappy state that don't get patched by the dev will get modded by the community, to say nothing of all of the other QoL and extra content mods. Sony and Microsoft put their own first party AAA games on PC, and emulators eventually cover everything that doesn't come to it. PS5 and X Series are lame PC knock-offs at this point. And gaming online only costs what you pay your ISP. The only reason to own a PS5 is for PS+. The only reason to own an Xbox is for... convenience of not needing to build your own PC.

So Switch isn't alone going by that logic of stripping away reasons to own a Switch. Why game on anything that isn't a PC?

zeldaring said:
Cobretti2 said:

Casual gamer is someone who just plays one or two games to just pass time, or in say only during a social gathering (i.e. Wii)

Core gamer is just someone who likes to play a variety of games and usually completes them but has a grip on reality and can function in the real world.

Hardcore gamer is someone who gives up on life and work and sits playing games 3-4 days straight till they pass out I guess lol.

Now what is confusing is how can games be classified casual, core and hardcore?

Let's use Just Dance or Guitar Hero as an example. Most gamers on here would consider them casual, however if people play them till they can do the dance moves blind folded or play the instruments blind folded and enter competitions, is that technically not hardcore gaming lol?

I would also add that a core gamer would probably just buy one console and you would miss so many big AAA games from the industry om switch and never mind that they would be a huge down grade.

I'd argue that any console made by the Big 3 or a gaming PC is all you need. I seriously cannot comprehend how anyone with any semblance of balance in their social and work life could find the time to blow through every worthwhile game (in other words, not specifically AAA, exclusives or super-highly rated, but games that someone would enjoy tailored to their tastes) on a console in the span of its lifetime. Unless that person has very narrow tastes (not a "hardcore" gamer but someone who is there for only one or two genres), I think every console has enough variety and content to satisfy the palates of the majority of people who dedicate a decent amount of time to gaming without completely no-lifing it.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 18 December 2023

burninmylight said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

The funny thing about the Switch is that, if you actually try to use it as a pure, no-nonsense home console for hardcore gaming (Keeping it permanently docked, using only the Pro Controller)... It kinda sucks, especially if you own other systems. Its woefully under-powered compared to the other consoles, it's online service is still mediocre, you still miss out on all the biggest AAA third party games, and when you do get them, they're heavily compressed miracle ports or cloud versions. It just becomes a lame Xbox One knock-off at that point. The Switch only becomes a good system when you actually use it as intended (Playing un-docked frequently, detaching the Joy-Con for multiplayer or motion controls, etc.)

Yet apparently, some people prefer that shit, which is why you see some people argue that the Switch is some kind of return to "hardcore" Nintendo, yet the console's two best selling games are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Animal Crossing New Horizons. The two most casual and newbie friendly franchises in existence. Don't get me wrong, I adore the GameCube, but it's one of Nintendo's least successful consoles for a reason. It was a hardcore Nintendo system, for hardcore Nintendo fans, and look how well that turned out.

The funny thing about all consoles is that they are all filthy casual machines compared to PC. No console will ever out-spec PC gaming. You can use all controllers and control methods on PC. Even games that release with bad ports or in a crappy state that don't get patched by the dev will get modded by the community, to say nothing of all of the other QoL and extra content mods. Sony and Microsoft put their own first party AAA games on PC, and emulators eventually cover everything that doesn't come to it. PS5 and X Series are lame PC knock-offs at this point. And gaming online only costs what you pay your ISP. The only reason to own a PS5 is for PS+. The only reason to own an Xbox is for... convenience of not needing to build your own PC.

So Switch isn't alone going by that logic of stripping away reasons to own a Switch. Why game on anything that isn't a PC?

Most people that play games do just that, they play games. No one plays specs.

And while PC has the potential (specs wise) to make games that differ from consoles not a singel one does that. They just waste the power on graphics, not game play elements.