By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread - The 14th Annual Greatest Games Event

Change YoY: -2    My Rating: 8.9 / 10

A wonderful example of a studio using limited resources to create an audiovisually gorgeous game that at times looks almost as good as big budget AAA games. Much of this is thanks to the art design that brings forth imagery that is often beautiful and gruesome in equal measure. In addition, A Plague Tale: Innocence was one of the biggest positive surprises I've had in recent years when it comes to video games. I was expecting to get a solid action-adventure, but what I got instead was among the most impactful video game experiences I've had.

The true power of the game comes from a combination of things, from its well told story and interesting characters, to the sense of threat and tension that permeates much of the runtime. However, perhaps the true star is the setting that comes to life in a very violent manner. I also like the thing I like to call guided stealth, where the stealth sections are very tightly scripted so as to make the player's escapes as close as possible. The gameplay is overall on the simple side, but it all serves the story and atmosphere, so I can't really complain. 

Overall, A Plague Tale: Innocence is a genuinely excellent game. I have a feeling that this time next year it won't be on my list for any longer, though as I'm considering giving it a replay in the near future, it could just as well be higher on it instead. Still need to get to the sequel at some point though.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Might as well throw on some extra hints.

49) The title suggests it tells you how to start

Hint 2: Allegedly a collection of unreleased games by a friend of the developer. Strange how well they fit together to form a narrative though...

46) The second title in a series with a very fitting abbreviation

Hint 2: Considering what type of game they've been releasing most of in the last 4 years.

Btw I think I'll keep count of the correct guesses this year to make it a little more interesting. Machina, Peelman and Mnementh have 1 each so far.

46 - Resident Evil 2?

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Might as well throw on some extra hints.

49) The title suggests it tells you how to start

Hint 2: Allegedly a collection of unreleased games by a friend of the developer. Strange how well they fit together to form a narrative though...

46) The second title in a series with a very fitting abbreviation

Hint 2: Considering what type of game they've been releasing most of in the last 4 years.

Btw I think I'll keep count of the correct guesses this year to make it a little more interesting. Machina, Peelman and Mnementh have 1 each so far.

46 - Resident Evil 2?

Yes indeed. The REmake specifically

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

#49: (not Smash Ultimate or Doom 2016)
Not a port, but actually it's own title. 
If that number in the title is a version number, than this series would've a *lot* of games.

Doom 64.

Correct!

Machina said:

#50 - Descent? Great pick if so.

#49 - Super Mario 64 DS?

#47 - Sounds like it could be one of those Paradox strategy series. Victoria 3?

#50: Yes, and it is indeed a great pick :)

#49: It's Doom 64 as S.Peelman guessed.

#47: It is totally a Paradox strategy title and isn't it weird that we can say this and totally know what kind of game to expect? Anyways, I haven't played any Victoria title, so not that Paradox game.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Is #47 Fable III?

Is #45 Ys VIII?

#47: nope

#45: Yes!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
S.Peelman said:

Doom 64.

Correct!

Machina said:

#49 - Super Mario 64 DS?

#47: It is totally a Paradox strategy title and isn't it weird that we can say this and totally know what kind of game to expect? Anyways, I haven't played any Victoria title, so not that Paradox game.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

Is #47 Fable III?

Is #45 Ys VIII?

Crusader Kings III?

Around the Network
Machina said:
Mnementh said:

Correct!

Machina said:

#49 - Super Mario 64 DS?

Crusader Kings III?

Yes, this is the correct Paradox game :)

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hint #3

• You're an agent of the church, summoned to a place called Phantasma
  • Third and final game in this subseries within the larger franchise, and foreshadows many events that would unfold in later games in the series. 
  • First of many trails

Second set of hints for these five. Like I said I think I'll post them by five, so when it's day 46 I'll post these and then move on to the next five. Anyway;

#50: You think there's only one, but then it turns out there's another. How many of these cruise ships are there anyway? Guessed by Mnementh - Resident Evil: Revelations
#49: Funnily enough this game's setting is also a cruise ship, even though it's unrelated and I personally don't have anything with cruise ships.
Hint 2: This cruise ship however, has been invaded by modern day pirates to kidnap the president's daughter who is onboard.
#48: No cruise ships in this one, but there is a train to a puzzling town.
Hint 2: There is a fun side-quest throughout this game, which I could identify with as a tea-lover myself. Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast - Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
#47: The vehicle theme seems to continue coincidentally, but this time it's just car. Pick people up, drop them off and take the shortest route possible. Guessed by Mnementh - Crazy Taxi
#46: Cheerleaders during half-time aren't actually a thing in this sport, at least not on my continent.
Hint 2: There's also usually 11 players on a pitch instead of 6. Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast - Soccer

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 13 November 2023

S.Peelman said:

Second set of hints for these five. Like I said I think I'll post them by five, so when it's day 46 I'll post these and then move on to the next five. Anyway;

#50: You think there's only one, but then it turns out there's another. How many of these cruise ships are there anyway? Guessed by Mnementh - Resident Evil: Revelations
#49: Funnily enough this game's setting is also a cruise ship, even though it's unrelated and I personally don't have anything with cruise ships.
Hint 2: This cruise ship however, has been invaded by modern day pirates to kidnap the president's daughter who is onboard.
#48: No cruise ships in this one, but there is a train to a puzzling town.
Hint 2: There is a fun side-quest throughout this game, which I could identify with as a tea-lover myself.
#47: The vehicle theme seems to continue coincidentally, but this time it's just car. Pick people up, drop them off and take the shortest route possible. Guessed by Mnementh - Crazy Taxi
#46: Cheerleaders during half-time aren't actually a thing in this sport, at least not on my continent.
Hint 2: There's also usually 11 players on a pitch instead of 6.

#48: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box?

#46: Since my Tecmo Bowl guess failed, I will pivot to Soccer on NES.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

#48: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box?

#46: Since my Tecmo Bowl guess failed, I will pivot to Soccer on NES.

Both correct!