By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread - The 14th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:
Pajderman said:

Adding some additional clues.

#49 Released after one of the most popular racing series first title but on a system one generation behind. This third installment also featured weapons to make life miserable for the other racers.
In the races you could collect letters spelling the game title in order to upgrade your vehicle. The developers next racer featured a mammal with a red cap as its titular character.

I was already thinking it but am confused by “Third game”. With that last hint I’ll try it anyway;

RC Pro Am II?

Correct!

Rare created a RC Pro Am game for gameboy that released before II called Super RC Pro Am. Making RC Pro Am II the third (and last) game in the series.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Eric2048 said:

#50 An immersive sim with a dark fantasy setting. Played in first-person.

Hint # 2 You can use Melee attacks and Magic but the most effective way to dispose of enemies is to make use of the environment.

#47 You have a grappling hook. But not the usual kind.

#46 After 21 years on console this game was the first in it's franchise to release on another platform.

#50 I think I heard that the very early Arkane Studios game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was innovative in the use of environmental kills. I actually have got the game recently and look for free time now to play it.

Yes 50 is Dark Messiah of Might Magic

48. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask.
I love the Professor Layton series, both for the puzzles and the fun characters and designs. This game in particular had the best music since the original, a great set of aesthetics in the fictional city of Monte D'Or and a story that resonated with me better than any of the previous attempts. There's the usual insane convoluted explanations for why the occurrences aren't magic, but at least this time, they started introduced ancient Atlantean-esqe tech to explain various impossibilities instead of just bullshitting their way through it. (Don't get me started on how dumb the plot for Prof Layton vs Phoenix Wright is)

50. This action JRPG was first on the PsP, and adapted to modern consoles much later.
Unlike another handheld entry before it and even after it, the battle system is similar to the more famous entries.
You take on enemies as 3 different characters with an overarching story. These characters were named after the elements in latin.

49. This JRPG was actually made possible by sony first party during the Ps2 era.
The game features pig latin as the main affliction to overcome.
sometimes the titular protagonist/antagonist will help you with enemies with powerful magic or hitting them with his face.

Change YoY: -4   My Rating: 8.9 / 10

A series you'll be seeing many, many more times on my list, The Legend of Heroes very quickly became one of my all-time favourite series when I first discovered it some nine years ago. Since then I've played eight different entries in it, and all but one are on my list, with Trails in the Sky the 3rd the lowest ranked one. Part of the reason for this that despite being the final game of the trilogy, it does feel somewhat disconnected from the other games in terms of its story. It's essentially a collection of separate events surrounding the pasts of various different returning characters (and a few new ones). However, it does heavily foreshadow the events that would unfold in later games in the series.

Now, despite these minor issues, this is still an excellent game. The characters are great, the main story, while disconnected from the larger overarching plot of the series, is very well told, the music is wonderful, and the battle systems is as fun as ever. I have very few actual issues with the game, and it is just less great than many of the other entries in the franchise, rather than in any way bad or even average. 

I'm going to be talking about this particular series a lot as I cover my top 50, so I think this'll do for now.

Around the Network
Pajderman said:

Correct!

Rare created a RC Pro Am game for gameboy that released before II called Super RC Pro Am. Making RC Pro Am II the third (and last) game in the series.

Ah! See I did not know about the GameBoy game.

Still one that needs to be guessed:

49) The title suggests it tells you how to start

Hint 2: Allegedly a collection of unreleased games by a friend of the developer. Strange how well they fit together to form a narrative though...

Hint 3: Contains significantly less mentions of the name Stanley than the other game by the developer

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Hint 2: Allegedly a collection of unreleased games by a friend of the developer. Strange how well they fit together to form a narrative though...

Hint 3: Contains significantly less mentions of the name Stanley than the other game by the developer

The Beginner's Guide.

I've not played it, though I really enjoyed The Stanley Parable.

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

The Beginner's Guide.

I've not played it, though I really enjoyed The Stanley Parable.

Correct!

It's a very different game, not really comedic in the same way, but it does have an excellent narrative.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Only one left from the first batch, let's give it a third hint.

#49: Funnily enough this game's setting is also a cruise ship, even though it's unrelated and I personally don't have anything with cruise ships.
Hint 2: This cruise ship however, has been invaded by modern day pirates to kidnap the president's daughter who is onboard.
Hint 3: But you can choose from three characters, each with their own mildly different path to the end, to beat 'em all up using pretty much everything you can get your hands on. Guessed by Pajderman - Dynamite Cop

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 15 November 2023