By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 132.46 Million Units as of September 2023

Def thought TOTK would be over 20m by now. I wonder if it being $70 is at all a factor. Still great sales though all things considered.

Around the Network

Double post 

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Def thought TOTK would be over 20m by now. I wonder if it being $70 is at all a factor. Still great sales though all things considered.

I doubt the price is a big deal, I think expectations just got a little carried away after the huge opening quarter which had plenty of stock, it will sell strong over the holidays and throughout next year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Slownenberg said:

(...)

Uhhhh really weak second quarter numbers for TotK. Wasn't it at 18.51m before? So it only sold .99m that quarter? Damn that makes it seem like the game won't have legs at all. I expected it to sell like 3-4 million that quarter. I thought it would have passed 20m at latest by halfway through August. No way its gonna get close to BotW sales I guess. Though the fact that it has sold 3.5m in Japan already is pretty impressive. But that's gotta be pretty disappointing for Nintendo considering their evergreens usually sell ~1 million quarterly for a long time and a game as massive as TotK falls off to 1 million alread in its second quarter. Perhaps it'll still be able to hit 25m lifetime.

The game released during the middle of fiscal quarter 1 and had an extraordinary strong first week performance. Following that and considering the legs of other Nintendo heavy hitters, it's logical that retailers would stock up on plenty of physical copies. Now the game's legs didn't turn out to be as good as expected, so fiscal Q1 was inflated with plenty of physical copies still sitting on shelves. Fiscal Q2 is the correction for that.

This is similar to hardware shipments for holiday quarters which can be too high at times and are followed up by low hardware shipments in fiscal Q4. Tears of the Kingdom has remained in the top 15 of the European e-shop charts since its release, so digital sales have been steady; it's quite safe to assume that the same holds true in all other regions. But physical copies have caused a distortion of the true sales level, hence why I see no reason at all to doubt that TotK will hit at least 25m lifetime. The holiday quarter should push its LTD figure to over 21m already, so by the end of 2024 the game will have either cleared the 25m mark or be close to it. Switch games won't stop selling once the Switch successor has been launched.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Another strong quarter and the fact it's still ahead of last FY is really impressive even if it's gonna fall behind later. The Switch is going out very gracefully.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Considering how many were skeptical about the 15m forecast at first there shouldn't really be any doubt they can reach it now with nearly 7m shipped in two non-holiday quarters. The real question is how much they can beat it by.

I think something like this 3.91 + 2.93 + 6.90 + 2.51 = 16.25 million,  also that 185 million FY software forecast is to low and i think software will be really close to 200 million.

Dulfite said:

Anyone have a breakdown on additions for each title? Not just the total, but how much was added per title from that period?

Software Top 10

Total sales followed by sales added to the total in Q2

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 57.01m + 1.55m
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: 43.38m + 590k
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 32.44m + 670k
  • Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild: 31.15m + 500k
  • Super Mario Odyssey: 26.95m + 510k
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield: 26.02m + 100k
  • Pokémon Scarlet/Violet: 23.23m + 570k
  • Super Mario Party: 19.66m + 270k
  • Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom: 19.50m + 990k
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe: 16.70m + 530k

New Release + Others

• Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: 12.58m + 1.20m (Q1+Q2)
  • Mario Party Superstars: 11.44m + 1.27m (Q1+Q2)
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: 10.77m + 1.17m (Q1+Q2)
  • Pikmin 4: 2.61m New

Pikmin 4 is already the highest selling game in the series, after just over 2 months:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/pikmin-4-is-now-the-best-selling-game-in-the-series/

The Switch is actually UP YoY so far from last FY through the halfway point.
We'll see if Mario Wonder can provide a big enough boost to beat out the Scarlet/Violet one.
But I think Nintendo may end up beating their 15M forecast for this FY.

Best Nintendo system! Well deserved!