By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 132.46 Million Units as of September 2023

Good hardware sales - even a tad higher than I expected. I'm thinking a 7m+ holiday quarter thanks to Wonder and the Switch bundles going on, which would guarantee a 15m+ year, regardless of how low the Switch ships in fiscal Q4.

Around the Network

Still remember all those posts from people who insisted the switch wouldn't even reach 30 units sold

Anyone have a breakdown on additions for each title? Not just the total, but how much was added per title from that period?

So vgchartz Switch numbers likely undertracked? I doubt 2 million Switch's are floating around right?

Looks like Switch should be right around 139-140m not at end of the fiscal year but by end of 2023! At this point, assuming a Fall release for next gen, I'd say Switch will definitely pass 150m lifetime, and might get up to the DS.

Great Pikmin 4 numbers.
Mario Kart insane as always.

Uhhhh really weak second quarter numbers for TotK. Wasn't it at 18.51m before? So it only sold .99m that quarter? Damn that makes it seem like the game won't have legs at all. I expected it to sell like 3-4 million that quarter. I thought it would have passed 20m at latest by halfway through August. No way its gonna get close to BotW sales I guess. Though the fact that it has sold 3.5m in Japan already is pretty impressive. But that's gotta be pretty disappointing for Nintendo considering their evergreens usually sell ~1 million quarterly for a long time and a game as massive as TotK falls off to 1 million alread in its second quarter. Perhaps it'll still be able to hit 25m lifetime.

Dulfite said:

Anyone have a breakdown on additions for each title? Not just the total, but how much was added per title from that period?

@RolStoppable Usually updates his Google Sheet with the data soon after the release of the information. You can find it here (the update is not yet done).

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

I figured Zelda would be in that 22-25 million range, so a little surprising there. Of course the extra $10 selling it at $70 brought in an extra $195 million which is the equivalent in revenue of selling 3.25 million additional units at the $60 price point. I wonder if we'll see some black Friday sales on it maybe $50 or $60 to help sell some extra copies. It should have good sales over the holidays with people wanting the game for Christmas.

Slownenberg said:

So vgchartz Switch numbers likely undertracked? I doubt 2 million Switch's are floating around right?

It's not unusual, the PS5 had a gap of around 2 million last quarter too.

Only consoles with supply issues or slow sellers will have much less than that on shelves/shipping whenever figures are released.

haxxiy said:
Slownenberg said:

It's not unusual, the PS5 had a gap of around 2 million last quarter too.

Only consoles with supply issues or slow sellers will have much less than that on shelves/shipping whenever figures are released.

This. Having a gap of around 2 million isn't unheard of with a console selling as well as the Switch is. Plus console manufactures like to have extra stock heading into the holidays. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I was definitely wrong about Super Mario Party not quite making it to 20m this year but I still think that TOTK may get to that number before the SMP joycon bundle arrives:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247334/will-zelda-totk-make-history-for-the-switch-this-year/1/

Either way, both will be over 20m by the end of the year for sure and with Super Mario Bros Wonder, the Switch will have ten 20m sellers.

Solid numbers.

A few more limited edition consoles will help it boost over the 150 million.

Crazy to think that we are closer to the end of life for the Switch. Where has all this time gone so quickly.