By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console Graphical Power Ranking

How do you understand the hierarchy of mainstream gaming consoles based on their graphical power? This list is my understanding based on my experience as a gamer and reading about the history of the industry. I don't claim to fully understand all the specs that go into making determinations of graphical power. I know its not an exact science either as different consoles can have strength in different areas.

The purpose of this thread is to gauge how others think about how the consoles relate to each other based on graphical capabilities. I am not sure if I'm correct and welcome any corrections or discussion.

Edit: Some changes made based on thread discussion.

Xbox Series X

PS5

Xbox Series S

Xbox One X

PS4 Pro

PS4

Xbox One

Switch

WiiU

PS3

Xbox 360

PS Vita

Wii

Xbox

Gamecube

3DS

PS2

Dreamcast

PSP

N64

DS

PS1

Saturn

Gameboy Advance

SNES

Genesis

Game Gear

Master System

NES

Gameboy Color

Gameboy

Last edited by Signalstar - on 17 October 2023

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I believe N64 is above DS, but DS games looks slightly better because you don't need as much polygons when you're playing in a very small screen

Not saying I am the foremost expert on this, but this was my understanding.  I know more about older systems.  I made some notes based on where I made changes.

Xbox Series X

PS5

Xbox Series S

Xbox One X

PS4 Pro

PS4

Xbox One

Switch

WiiU

PS3

Xbox 360

PS Vita

Wii

3DS (leaving this here, but not sure this place is right.  It's somewhere near the Gen 6 systems)

Xbox

Gamecube

PS2

Dreamcast

PSP (Leaving here, but not sure how it compares to Dreamcast.)

DS (Leaving here.  Not sure if above or below N64.)

N64

Saturn

PS1 (specs are weaker than N64, except CD format allows for FMVs and other tricks based on greatly superior file sizes)

Gameboy Advance (GBA is actually a 32-bit system with similar specs)

SNES

Genesis (Genesis had a better processor than SNES, but SNES was better in every other way)

PC-Engine/TG-16 (added this into the list)

Game Gear

Master System

NES

Gameboy Color (putting here, but placement is subjective.  It's a wasted power upgrade since it mostly just ran crappy looking Gameboy games in color)

Gameboy

3DS should be below Gamecube and OG Xbox.

Don't forget to add consoles prior to the NES like the Atari 2600...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

IcaroRibeiro said:

I believe N64 is above DS, but DS games looks slightly better because you don't need as much polygons when you're playing in a very small screen

Yes. I think Super Mario 64 DS largely looks better because of evolution of graphics and again the smaller screen.

Super Mario 64 released late in the N64's life would probably have better graphics than either version we have. 

DSi would probably be theoretically above the N64 (even with the Expansion Pack of certain games on N64), but virtually no games took advantage of the better specs of DSi for graphics. 

In terms of some other observations from OP

I would put 3DS above Dreamcast. The only thing I can think of that is superior for Dreamcast is resolution and obviously sound since it's a home console that can have bigger and better speakers. 

I would put New 3DS around or slightly above Xbox. But ranking it above Wii seems like a stretch. Monster Hunter Tri and Xenoblade Chronicles run worse on New 3DS than on Wii. 

PSP and Dreamcast are super close. In some ways, PSP is better. But again, that has to do with Dreamcast not reaching its limit, being so old, and the trouble in comparisons between mobile and home console hardware. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Dreamcast #1 Forever and always.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Good list, but I would put SNES above Genesis.

SNES should be above Megadrive/Genesis.
The latter had a faster CPU, but the SNES's more modern graphics hardware enabled more advanced effects and more colours, and it had more RAM.
And yeah, 3DS is also weaker than Xbox and Gamecube.
Mostly very good list though.

Comparing handhelds to home consoles, I will not do. They are different markets. But here is my list, with them separated from most powerful to least. Major consoles only.

Master System
NES

Sega Gamegear
Gameboy

SNES
Genesis

N64
Playstation
Saturn

Xbox
Gamecube
PS2
Dreamcast

PSP
DS

PS3
Xbox 360
Wii

Vita
3DS

PS4
Xbox One
Wii U

Xbox Series X
PS5
Xbox Series S
Switch

Fair changes to the list so far. It looks right when reading it in it's current state.

PS3 RAM/CPU I always wonder compared to 360 as I think 360 had the edge whether third party titles at least but first party are good use of the hardware on both sides.

Wii/Vita/3DS hmm RAM and CPU/GPU are different enough. But are 2011 phones better than Wii I think so.... So I wonder there with how some games are between them.

DS was less than N64, I think then PS1/Saturn but the look/gameplay controls were very different then those systems that's for sure. The pixelation sure but at the same time you notice the detail. I was watching TOCA graphics comparisons and yeah DS was less then PS1 games for sure. But above phones of the time of course at least for a few years.

PSP and PS2 are clear of PSP is less power but above PS1/N64/Saturn.

I will withhold my Turbo Grafx, Zodiac, Gizmondo, Ngage, Wonderswan, Neo Geo Pocket, PC-FX, FM Towns Marty, Virtual Boy, 3DO, Jaguar, Xavix Port and more mentions. XD

They do get complicated and also Turbo Grafx fits under Genesis anyway I think the rest absolutely no idea other than them being released earlier so weaker then the mainstream successful ones anyway but where no idea in terms of spec difference without looking them up.

Most consoles that came later had more power I believe like N64, GameCube/Xbox of course.

It's not as bad as phones or graphics cards where some ranges are lower end spec and some are higher depending (though some J2ME games have surprised me recently). Like some Windows Phones I was like ok so this was a low end but this was a high end and released then huh. No idea about Android.

Last edited by SuntannedDuck2 - on 18 October 2023