By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - VGC: Switch 2 Was Shown At Gamescom Running Matrix Awakens UE5 Demo

This thread is basically the reminder as to why I stayed on VGC back when I arrived.

Chaotic Nintendo hardware speculations

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
zeldaring said:

watch at 59:00 for 2 minutes DF says you need  a VRR display to actually use DSLL, and it's useless with vsync.

I watched it and he is talking about Frame Generation. DLSS has 3 different methods:

DLSS 3 Super Resolution
DLSS 3 Frame Generation
DLSS 3 Ray Reconstruction

DLSS 3 Super Resolution which is upscaling doesn't need any base frame rate to look good.

DLSS 3 Frame Generation needs a high base frame rate to look good. That is what they are talking about.

DLSS 3 Ray Reconstruction doesn't need base frame rate either but you still need a strong GPU.

People can use DLSS 3 Super Resolution for upscaling without needing to use Frame Generation or Ray Reconstruction.

what confusing about DLSS some games it basically does nothing  or makes them look worse. i guess it the game is a unoptimized mess it really helps? In red dead 2 it basically gives a 7fps boost for worse image quality.  

zeldaring said:

I watched it and he is talking about Frame Generation. DLSS has 3 different methods:

DLSS 3 Super Resolution
DLSS 3 Frame Generation
DLSS 3 Ray Reconstruction

DLSS 3 Super Resolution which is upscaling doesn't need any base frame rate to look good.

DLSS 3 Frame Generation needs a high base frame rate to look good. That is what they are talking about.

DLSS 3 Ray Reconstruction doesn't need base frame rate either but you still need a strong GPU.

People can use DLSS 3 Super Resolution for upscaling without needing to use Frame Generation or Ray Reconstruction.

what confusing about DLSS some games it basically does nothing  or makes them look worse. i guess it the game is a unoptimized mess it really helps? In red dead 2 it basically gives a 7fps boost for worse image quality.  

Yea like I said in one of my past posts, it can't perform miracles. It's basically an upscaling solution that's better than all the others out there but it won't magically make a Switch 2 into a PS5.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

zeldaring said:

Yea like I said in one of my past posts, it can't perform miracles. It's basically an upscaling solution that's better than all the others out there but it won't magically make a Switch 2 into a PS5.

Exactly right. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:

A Steam Deck runs basically every game on an XBox Series X ... so that's a what then? 

These categories that people are obsessed with are silly. 

The Switch itself is not that far off from a XBox One, a full generation leap beyond that is what? 

It's not a PS4. 

DLSS isn't doing anything "by magic". Dramatically reducing the number of pixels to render a frame is like saying "bench pressing 350 or 200 pounds is the same" ... uh on what planet would that be true exactly? It's a huge difference. 

Switch 2 if it's a full generation leap over the current Switch, which it sounds like it is and maybe even then some with DLSS added on top of it is no fucking PS4. 

A regular Switch can run several PS4 games as is, if you doubled a Switch (a hypothetical Switch Pro that never came to be) it would run virtually every PS4 game. If you go a full generation above a Switch and give it DLSS on top of that ... I mean c'mon. That's total bullshit to keep saying "PS4 this, PS4 that". That's a system that's going to start blur generation lines totally, the Switch was already beginning to do it a little. 

If Nintendo is showing this Matrix Awakens demo too, it must probably run at a decent performance how ever they are doing it (rendering up from 540p pixels native?) because you're not going to have a tech demo that doesn't run reasonably well. 

It we're talking about a "PS4" that is about 2.5 teraflops docked, is Ampere based, has DLSS 2.2+, and is running The Matrix Awakens demo ... at some point that isn't a "PS4", lol. That's more like a PS5 Jr. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 September 2023

Around the Network

Switch is my favorite console and a ps4/one it is absolutely not. Jesus some people are just off their ****ing rocker.  The switch is a ps3 pro at best.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Switch is my favorite console and a ps4 it is absolutely not. Jesus some people are just off their, ****ing rocker.

If it had DLSS and could be full clocked it would start to blur that line certainly. 

In any case, the whole "a portable console can't match a current gen console" has already been debunked thoroughly. Every one of these portable consoles from the Steam Deck to the Lenovo one to the ROG Ally run every game on an XBox Series X and they would be able to run any PS5 game, the only reason they don't is because Sony is too scared to port all of their games. 

And those games are not really even fully optimized for that hardware either, even "Steam Deck" verified just makes a preset of settings, it's not specifically ported  for that hardware, if it was the performance would likely be even better than the playable versions already available. 

The "portables can run all home console games" train has already left the station, the genie is out of the bottle, it ain't ever going back in. 

This era is gonna change a lot of these rules, being able to play any current home console you want on the go whenever you want is about to become no big deal. Days of big ticket games being restricted on non-portables is over, Switch opened the door, Steam Deck cracked it open wider, now with things like ROG and the Lenovo product ... it's never going to stop. Next you will have Switch 2, Steam Deck 2, and etc. etc. etc. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 09 September 2023

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

Switch is my favorite console and a ps4 it is absolutely not. Jesus some people are just off their, ****ing rocker.

If it had DLSS and could be full clocked it would start to blur that line certainly. 

In any case, the whole "a portable console can't match a current gen console" has already been debunked thoroughly. Every one of these portable consoles from the Steam Deck to the Lenovo one to the ROG Ally run every game on an XBox Series X and they would be able to run any PS5 game, the only reason they don't is because Sony is too scared to port all of their games. 

And those games are not really even fully optimized for that hardware either, even "Steam Deck" verified just makes a preset of settings, it's not specifically ported  for that hardware, if it was the performance would likely be even better than the playable versions already available. 

The "portables can run all home console games" train has already the station, the genie is out of the bottle, it ain't ever going back in. 

This era is gonna change a lot of these rules, being able to play any current home console you want on the go whenever you want is about to become no big deal. 

Except literally nobody said mobile couldn't run console games.  Nobody.  The question never was and never will be if mobile can run games.  The question is how well does it run.  

Witcher 3 looks like complete shit on the switch compared to the ps4.

How is halo infinite on the deck?

The decks version is a clear cut back from the ps4 version of FF7...  cut back from the inferior ps4 version.

So for the last fucking time, nobody said mobile can't run games.  We are all saying it can't run games with the same fidelity, which it can't. 

There is a reason nobody is agreeing with you on this.  Get a grip on reality.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Soundwave said:

A Steam Deck runs basically every game on an XBox Series X ... so that's a what then? 

These categories that people are obsessed with are silly. 

The Switch itself is not that far off from a XBox One, a full generation leap beyond that is what? 

It's not a PS4. 

DLSS isn't doing anything "by magic". Dramatically reducing the number of pixels to render a frame is like saying "bench pressing 350 or 200 pounds is the same" ... uh on what planet would that be true exactly? It's a huge difference. 

Switch 2 if it's a full generation leap over the current Switch, which it sounds like it is and maybe even then some with DLSS added on top of it is no fucking PS4. 

A regular Switch can run several PS4 games as is, if you doubled a Switch (a hypothetical Switch Pro that never came to be) it would run virtually every PS4 game. If you go a full generation above a Switch and give it DLSS on top of that ... I mean c'mon. That's total bullshit to keep saying "PS4 this, PS4 that". That's a system that's going to start blur generation lines totally, the Switch was already beginning to do it a little. 

If Nintendo is showing this Matrix Awakens demo too, it must probably run at a decent performance how ever they are doing it (rendering up from 540p pixels native?) because you're not going to have a tech demo that doesn't run reasonably well. 

If by run you mean with a ton of *** then yes, it does "run." Steam Deck has issues against PS4 let alone Xbox Series X:

"The Switch itself is not that far off from a XBox One, a full generation leap beyond that is what? "

Lol you serious?

What you need to understand is there is a difference between "running a game" and "running a game with high visual fidelity." Yea a Switch and PS4 can run the Witcher 3 but that doesn't mean they are anywhere near the same visual fidelity. And sure it ran the Matrix demo but at what settings? What were the sacrifices? Etc.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

The "portables can run all home console games" train has already the station, the genie is out of the bottle, it ain't ever going back in. 

This era is gonna change a lot of these rules, being able to play any current home console you want on the go whenever you want is about to become no big deal. 

Except literally nobody said mobile couldn't run console games.  Nobody.  The question never was and never will be if mobile can run games.  The question is how well does it run.  

Witcher 3 looks like complete shit on the switch compared to the ps4.

How is halo infinite on the deck?

The decks version is a clear cut back from the ps4 version FF.

So for the last fucking time, nobody said mobile can't run games.  We are all saying it can't run games with the same fidelity, which it can't. 

There is a reason nobody is agreeing with you on this.  Get a grip on reality.

Witcher 3 on Switch could look better than it does they made some weird choices with the default settings, but if it had DLSS it would perform even better than that. For a portable version that has no DLSS or image scaling and has to run at a resolution not that far below an XBox One, this result is not that bad. 

Halo Infinite is fine on the Steam Deck. Days of home consoles having some kind of exclusivity on big ticket AAA games are coming to an end. We already have portables that run all next-gen content reasonably well, and that's not going to get worse. These devices are only going to get better year after year and the Switch 2 sounds like it is going to be a full fledged, full generational leap over the current Switch when factoring in DLSS on top of that, that is like a generation and a half leap ahead potentially. 

Times are a changing. Eventually probably AI algorithms will improve to the point where there isn't going to be much of a point and it'll just reconstruct higher end images from an input image using a fraction of the processing power, what DLSS and things like that become are going to dramatically change the industry IMO, super resolution scaling is just the beginning.