By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Split Screen ( a dying practice?)

Split Screen dead?

Yes 12 30.00%

No 4 10.00%

Maybe 4 10.00%

Live Forever 2 5.00%

Should be a standard feat... 12 30.00%

Too much effort 1 2.50%

It can boost sales 0 0%

People too rich and buy multiple console 0 0%

Only on nintendo 5 12.50%

Total:40
Azzanation said:

Split Screen is such a 90s gimmick.
This is where you hear the double standards. People complain about FPS and resolution so often today, yet those same people will defend a feature missing that spilts your screen in half and lowering image quality and gameplay greatly.

Online has replaced split screen a very long time ago.

Are this the same people though?

Split screen is a social feature. Just look at Youtube playthroughs of partners playing Baldur's Gate 3 together in split-screen. It is a different thing to online play.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Azzanation said:

This is where you hear the double standards. People complain about FPS and resolution so often today, yet those same people will defend a feature missing that spilts your screen in half and lowering image quality and gameplay greatly.

Split screen is a social feature. Just look at Youtube playthroughs of partners playing Baldur's Gate 3 together in split-screen. It is a different thing to online play.

This.  Playing Tiny Tina split with the wife is awesome.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Mnementh said:
Azzanation said:

I am sure there are a small minority that use it, however, Online has replaced Split Screen. It's just a superior and more convenient way of playing MP games.

Arguing otherwise is like saying broad games are superior to video games because it doesn't rely on electricity. 

It's cool as a teen with limited budget but as an adult you should own enough TVs, computer monitors, notebooks and consoles to set up multiple gaming systems.

Why play splitscreen on one display when you can simply set up a temporary monitor next to your TV so everyone can have their own display?

Splitscreen is definitely the inferior choice here.

Wman1996 said:

In mainstream games, split-screen for Xbox and PlayStation software has been slowly dying since the end of 360/PS3 era.
Nintendo has also been moving more away from them, but still has some on offer.
Split-screen is indeed no longer the standard. Even a lot of local multiplayer Nintendo games are games that aren't designed with splitscreen in mind (Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Bros. Wonder, etc.)
Split-screen will likely never fully die (some indies if nothing else will still use it), but is dying a slow death to obscurity.

Nintendo is still a powerhouse in split screen, couch multiplayer goes without saying. They are not slow-moving away.

It's a shame that the same can be said about other developers that actually take away that feature from their games. Instead of reuniting people to play a single copy of their game, they want each of these individuals owning their own copy and playing online (paying subscription).

It's that simple, taking away options that are not beneficial for them and not because Split-screen is inferior. (Online is not perfect, you know) 

And I thought people here are pro choices, yet are defending the death of this option. Be certain that companies don't take away Split-screen only, but also couch multiplayer in general.

Last edited by 160rmf - on 24 August 2023

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

People tend to play online more and more instead of going to a friend's house to play. And I imagine developers and publishers know that it sells more: you need two copies to play online, but a single copy to play splitscreen.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Azzanation said:
Mnementh said:

I am sure there are a small minority that use it, however, Online has replaced Split Screen. It's just a superior and more convenient way of playing MP games.

Arguing otherwise is like saying broad games are superior to video games because it doesn't rely on electricity. 

You have a weird concept of superior. I didn't say superior, I said different. Your board game example is perfect. Neither board games nor vcideo games are superior, they are different for different use cases. Board games will not be pushed out because of video games, as they target a different experience. And I am for instance playing sometimes video games, sometimes board games and it is both fun, but different fun.

So online play also isn't superior, it is just different - as I said in my post ("It is a different thing to online play"). Online hasn't and can't replace split screen, as it is a completely different experience. That's why Baldur's Gate 3 supports both: online play and split screen, as Larian clearly know that they cannot replace each other.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Azzanation said:
Mnementh said:

Playing games in the same room with a good friend decimates playing with a random stranger across the globe.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Barozi said:

It's cool as a teen with limited budget but as an adult you should own enough TVs, computer monitors, notebooks and consoles to set up multiple gaming systems.

Why play splitscreen on one display when you can simply set up a temporary monitor next to your TV so everyone can have their own display?

Splitscreen is definitely the inferior choice here.

So buy two TVs, two ps5 consoles and two copies of the same game???  No.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Personally, I would like it split screen was still exist. But the moment online gaming got serious, I figured split screen and couch coop stuff would start to vanish off