By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want to see from next gen Nintendo games?

So long as they don't try to move other series into open-world territory, I'm up for whatever.

Mario games have typically stuck to having discrete levels. Except for 3D Land/World, which had shorter, more traditional "get to the flagpole" levels like the 2D games had, the 3D ones have stuck to the "collect the stars" formula, and it still works. Nintendo has always found ways to keep things fresh without radically overhauling the basic formula. It doesn't need to go open-world.

Also, I'd prefer Zelda to move back to something more classic in style. I know the "surviving in an incredibly vast, mostly empty wilderness" formula of Switch-era Zelda has its fans, but I would prefer something more focused, smaller and more densely populated. I miss having to tackle a wide selection of uniquely-themed dungeons, earning some new power-up needed to progress through the world. I miss worlds filled with a wide array of unique enemies.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Around the Network

Decent storytelling.

Give makers of fan works less bullshit.

Zelda: I would actually like a more Twilight Princess approach to the next Zelda, but I would like to keep a huge open world. One idea I'd love to see but never will, is a 3-D Zelda set in the world of Zelda II. My imagination ran wild with Zelda II, and I'd like to see my imaginings brought to life.

Metroid Prime 4, obs.

For Mario, I would like a time-traveling 3D Mario, where he visits the Roman Empire, the Three Kingdoms Era, the Warring States Era in Japan, the American Revolution, what have you. Have Mario doing battle against General Bowser Koopwallis at Yorktown, LOL.

A new Super Mario RPG, this one a sequel to SMRPG rather than a Paper Mario title.

One thing I haven't seen here is Smash Bros. I think they should try for a 3-D Smash Bros, and they should either get Harada's team at Bandai Namco, or the team at Sega that did Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown. Or maybe Capcom, since my idea of a 3-D Smash is to make it something along the lines of PowerStone.

I'd like to see a new RPG franchise from Monolith. But if we want to be completely off in La-La Land, I'd like to see Monolith do a full 3-D Mother 3, kind of like what was originally promised on the N64. But not looking like a N64 game.

A new Kid Icarus.

A new Fire Emblem, but I think I would also like to see them do a FE x SMT game that was the reverse of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, namely, a SRPG. I guess Persona 5 Tactica is. a step in that direction, but I want to see them go full-on with that idea. I actually wouldn't mind seeing them tackle a new SRPG IP, but unfortunately, the last one time they tried that, it was Codename S.T.E.A.M., which unfortunately didn't sell well.

A remaster of Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, without the dual screen stuff.

I'd also like to see Nintendo talk to Retro, NST, Left Field, etc, about doing a Western-style turn-based RPG, or maybe partnering with a company like Larian for something like that. I know that's way outside of their wheelhouse, but still....

A new Star Fox that takes place after Star Fox 64 and uses characters introduced in Star Fox Adventures but with Star Fox 2's gameplay, no plot holes left unresolved, and NO MOTION CONTROLS.

A new F-Zero that's uses GX's gameplay and art style, but more forgiving, and each driver has their own opening and ending cutscenes for grand prix mode without being locked behind higher difficulties.

A revival/mash up of Sheriff and Wild Gunman as a first person shooter, with the Sheriff from Sheriff as the protagonist, a sillier take on the genre, but still one on one duels like Wild Gunman.

Around the Network

Graphical improvement is pretty much a given and Nintendo is pretty damn good at making the most of what they have. To this day, I think Super Mario Galaxy looks better than a good chunk of what was on the PS3 and 360. Yeah, there are some games where you can tell that the hardware is dated. - Tears of the Kingdom and Xenoblade Chronicles 3, as fantastic as both those games are, there were definitely points where you could tell - "Yeah, the Switch is getting old, we're just about ready for an upgrade." But by and large, Switch games, especially 1st party Switch games, comfortably meet the standards, mine at least, of how a game should 'look'. Which is to say, pleasing to the eye and as long as the game is fun and playable, then graphics aren't really that much of a concern for me.

The main things I'm looking for are on the technical side. Loading times, processing, etc. That's usually what I refer to in my "ready for an upgrade" statement. Because as much fun as I had in TOTK and XC3, one too many times I can remember just being immersed in the game and world and my immersion is abruptly interrupted by sudden pop-up or late loading of certain textures or world objects where I'm like "WOAH! Where did THAT come from?!?" And in other games or even the eShop, the loading times are a bit too long for my liking.

I can take or leave 4K, if Switch 2 can give me a solid, consistent 1080/60 experience (720/60 when undocked) w/ fast loading times and little to no pop-up. I'd be satisfied.

As far as gameplay content goes?

Zelda: Go back to more of the traditional 3D formula in the main game. You can still have the open world similar to BOTW and TOTK, but don't make them immediately accessible from the jump, because it's really hard to tell a cohesive story that way. Tears of the Kingdom, I felt tried to do more of that, but still clung a little too much to the Breath of the Wild openness and exploration and as a result, the storytelling suffered. For example, when finding the dragon's tears became available, I immediately made that a priority, and by the time I got the final tear, I had only completed one of the dungeons or so and anytime I would hear/see someone go...

Spoiler!
"Look it's Zelda! What's going on?! Why is Zelda there?! What is she doing?!"

I would scratch my head or roll my eyes and say...

Spoiler!
"Guys, that's NOT Zelda! She's that big blonde-haired dragon flying over Central Hyrule!"

And the more it happened, the more it took me out of it. If they had held off on the tear collecting until AFTER you completed the dungeons, or only made some of them accessible/unlockable after each dungeon, it would have made for a more emotional investment and a bigger impact when you finally DO realize what happened.

The open world can still be there, but have it take a back seat to incorporate more of the old school 3D elements that we had from Ocarina of Time to Skyward Sword - More emphasis on dungeons, story-telling, and character development. And the more the story progresses, the more of the world you unlock.

Being predominantly a ps5 owner and gamer, and recently getting a switch and playing totk and metroid remastered, I must say i'm impressed. Visually the switch still is capable of pretty games. I'm still immersed in these games. For switch 2, all I want are the same kind of games, 60 fps, and to adopt a controller that is like dual sense.

CaptainExplosion said:
160rmf said:

Pikmin is finally getting the love it deserves. Fingers crossed for StarFox ðŸ¤Å¾

Gotta say I would love to see a new approach for Donkey Kong, maybe instead of heavily focused in platforming (which imo is way overused with Nintendo IPs), maybe they could add some combat elements, something that resembles a hack and slash style, I think they could really explore on this idea based on DK traits

Maybe make it a brawler and call it Donkey Kongbat?

Is this a reference to Batman games? Yeah, I could see that, maybe more akin to spider man, where it match some of the protagonist abilities (climbing and swinging in vines/webs)

About StarFox, I think the vastness of the space combines with open world, at least partially.

They can split the space in sections where the airwing can move freely, each section is filled with all kinds of enemies/mini boss or some particularities to discover, you can also approach to planets or specific areas, when you access one of these, it will start a main mission just like the traditional way. This imo is a better and modern take than a map with level selection.

Other thing they can implement on my idea that I think it would be awesome is make some planets ,after you complete the missions on them, as safe areas. Where you can visit the civilization, buy new gear, upgrade the airwing, talk with the citizens,  etc... Of course Cornelia would be the first planet. They really need to invest on making StarFox universe more than just the StarFox team against Andross

After all we are here discussing a way to evolve the franchises to reach a bigger audience and with this, have a better treatment in the future instead of putting on a hiatus.

And with StarFox I see a lot of untapped potential, because the franchise is literally on the universe cosmos 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 17 August 2023

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Maybe make it a brawler and call it Donkey Kongbat?

Is this a reference to Batman games? Yeah, I could see that, maybe more akin to spider man, where it match some of the protagonist abilities (climbing and swinging in vines/webs)

About StarFox, I think the vastness of the space combines with open world, at least partially.

They can split the space in sections where the airwing can move freely, each section is filled with all kinds of enemies/mini boss or some particularities to discover, you can also approach to planets or specific areas, when you access one of these, it will start a main mission just like the traditional way. This imo is a better and modern take than a map with level selection.

Other thing they can implement in StarFox that I think it would be awesome is make some planets ,after you complete the missions on them, as safe areas. Where you can visit the civilization, buy new gear, upgrade the airwing, talk with the citizens,  etc... Of course Cornelia would be the first planet. They really need to invest on making StarFox universe more than just the StarFox team against Andross

After all we are here discussing a way to evolve the franchises to reach a bigger audience and with this, have a better treatment in the future instead of putting on a hiatus.

And with StarFox I see a lot of untapped potential, because the franchise is literally on the universe cosmos 

That may be the best way to handle Star Fox, and no I wasn't referencing Batman games. I was thinking Donkey Kongbat would be an open world mix of platforming and beat em up action, meaning DK and friends could fight through groups of Kremlings and sometimes pick up weapons to do it with.

^ I disagree with y'all so much. The last thing Star Fox should be is open world.