By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most underrated system

Since the Wii is still my favorite console of all time I think it is massively underrated by the 'hardcore' crowd. So much of the narrative around it is false, from people not buying game other than Wii Sports when it has a software tie ratio of over 9 to it being a fad that only sold for a couple of years when it actually had an unusually long lifespan for a Nintendo home console, sold well pretty late in. its life, and was nowhere near as front-loaded in terms of sales as the N64 or Wii U were. And so many of my favorite games are on it.

In terms of sales, the Dreamcast and Wii U are the most 'underrated' relative to their quality. The Dreamcast especially since it had so few flaws either as a piece of hardware or in its software lineup. The Wii U had actual problems beyond bad luck in its competition that doomed it, and it was dead before it started getting games that could have gotten people excited enough to have sold systems like MK8, Mario Maker, and Splatoon. 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, those are all great, but no one would spend $300 on a system just to play one of them the way they would for Mario 64, Wii Sports, Breath of the Wild, Final Fantasy 7, or Halo.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:

PSP - there are some truly great games on the system, and, for its time, it was incredibly powerful. The PS2 launched in 2000 and, just four years later, Sony was able to make almost that exact technology portable (with just a few cutbacks and changes).

It was also the first (and only) portable console not made by Nintendo to break the 20M threshold. In fact, it sold as well as the GBA did (and better than the 3DS). Unfortunately, by comparison, the DS sold 70M more units, so it feels like the PSP didn't do as well as it did.

I also think that it's because of the PSP that the PS2 continued to sell as well as it did. Because they were making PSP games, ports to the PS2 were easy (because much of the technology was similar), thus extending the life of that console by both first and third party.

As for underrated home console, it's the GameCube all the way. Easy to develop for, powerful compared to the competition, fantastic games (both mature and family friendly), a host of third party partnerships, and quite a few new IP/new takes on IP (Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing).

IMO, GameCube could have been peak Nintendo if people would have just bought the freaking thing.

Was PSP underrated just because of DS success? It sold ~80 mil units, was very popular and had huge first and third party support.

Wii U, Gamecube and Wonderswan

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

I'm going to throw in another vote for the Wii U. I really loved that system. Lots of great games, and while not every game made the best of the tablet controller, some did so quite well, sometimes in rather ingenious ways. It definitely deserved better sales than it got. Terrible marketing and that software drought (literally nothing of note in the 8 months between its launch games and the release of Pikmin 3) really hurt it.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

bartkuz said:
Doctor_MG said:

PSP - there are some truly great games on the system, and, for its time, it was incredibly powerful. The PS2 launched in 2000 and, just four years later, Sony was able to make almost that exact technology portable (with just a few cutbacks and changes).

It was also the first (and only) portable console not made by Nintendo to break the 20M threshold. In fact, it sold as well as the GBA did (and better than the 3DS). Unfortunately, by comparison, the DS sold 70M more units, so it feels like the PSP didn't do as well as it did.

I also think that it's because of the PSP that the PS2 continued to sell as well as it did. Because they were making PSP games, ports to the PS2 were easy (because much of the technology was similar), thus extending the life of that console by both first and third party.

As for underrated home console, it's the GameCube all the way. Easy to develop for, powerful compared to the competition, fantastic games (both mature and family friendly), a host of third party partnerships, and quite a few new IP/new takes on IP (Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing).

IMO, GameCube could have been peak Nintendo if people would have just bought the freaking thing.

Was PSP underrated just because of DS success? It sold ~80 mil units, was very popular and had huge first and third party support.

It was popular, but just kinda overshadowed by the DS. So I see why people would find it a bit underrated.

Around the Network
bartkuz said:

It's underrated because it's barely talked about or discussed outside of emulation. Yet the PSP was very forward thinking for its time. Video playback, mp3 player, you could read books/magazines, surf the internet, and play almost PS2 quality games on it...and it launched in 2004. 

The iPhone wouldn't launch for another 4 years. The Kindle wouldn't launch for another 3. 

It's library is pretty great too. 

It's the first portable games console that wasnt made by Nintendo that actually received a lot of success. I just think it really should be given more credit than it has been. 

Since people love throwing out 80-100 million selling consoles as underrated (scoff) how about a REAL underrated console back in the thread?

Neo Geo CD. It was a much more affordable version to play a lot of the great games Neo Geo AES had to offer. Before Covid and scams like WATA existed. Those games were much more affordable than AES/MVS carts. PLus it had a fantastic controller. This little guy. The stick is digital but clicky like an arcade stick.

It was a great system but it's one downside, the load times. They could be pretty long but at least you got to watch a monkey juggle.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Since people love throwing out 80-100 million selling consoles as underrated (scoff) how about a REAL underrated console back in the thread?

A system can sell well and still be underrated; how a system is "rated" can refer to how it is treated in terms of gaming discourse rather then the number of units it shipped. There's often a disconnect between the two.

Virtual Boy obviously.

Leynos said:

Neo Geo CD. It was a much more affordable version to play a lot of the great games Neo Geo AES had to offer. Before Covid and scams like WATA existed. Those games were much more affordable than AES/MVS carts. PLus it had a fantastic controller. This little guy. The stick is digital but clicky like an arcade stick.

It was a great system but it's one downside, the load times. They could be pretty long but at least you got to watch a monkey juggle.

Always used to see neo geo in magazines but being a poor kid I could only dream.