By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most underrated system

MSX and GameCube from what I owned.

Around the Network

Wii U for sure, loved the play on screen and on tv multiplayer.

Hate how they removed that feature from switch. Be cool if two switch work the same way with 1 copy of the game.

GameCube: Only underrated during its life and a little after. It's gotten a lot of love and fair reception from the 2010s to the present. Unfortunately, that means most exclusives are expensive.
3DS: I see most people rank it around the bottom of Nintendo handhelds, which I can't fathom. It's probably the best handheld Nintendo put out or at least second-best if I'm counting Switch. Nintendo games slapped on 3DS like Fire Emblem, Zelda and Animal Crossing.
Wii U: So far from a bad system. I can understand running out of games at times on the system, especially if you had a gaming PC or other consoles. But for those that act like it only had about 12 or so worthwhile games are either lying or super picky.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

GameCube. Wii U maybe moreso. Maybe with better marketing and a better name it would have survived.

GameCube as usual. For the type of library it had. It was also a place where a lot of new experimentations with some lesser franchises happened and where they also matured in comparison to what we saw with the N64. But yeah, the remnants of the PSX/N64 days mostly destroyed any chances the GameCube had really. Not only that, but Xbox right around the corner and revolutionized the FPS genre with Halo so it managed to found a strong American niche the GameCube couldn't have.

Despite it all, it did not lose money unlike the WiiU.

Also PC-Engine was the perfectionist arcade experience at home people wished for and was where the adventure(Visual Novel) genre gained it's notoriety for the most part.
Not getting it in NA or at least in Western Europe was basically a crime !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I'd say Wii U, great software line up.

FM Towns Marty

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

The Wii, easily.

I still hear to this day people believing the Wii only sold well for 2 years, despite selling about 75 million more after its first two years to become one of the highest selling home consoles in history and the top selling home console of its generation. Or that people only played Wii Sports despite nearly a billion games selling on the console, with seven games counted among the best selling home console games of all time on a single platform.

What the Wii was is the rebirth of Nintendo. The last time we saw any kind of hype resembling that of the Wii was all the way back in the lead up to the Super Mario Bros 3 launch, with shades of it in the DKC and Ocarina of Time hype. Nintendo did what was thought to be impossible, and not only came back from seeming ruin, and the end of their existence as a home console manufacturer, but they beat what was thought to be an unbeatable adversary in the form of the PlayStation brand - which, the previous generation, everyone was imitating.

The Wii is basically where Nintendo regained their mojo, so to speak. During the early generations, they were the most innovative console manufacturer around, they were the ones being copied. Then somewhere during the N64 generation, after the flub, they got gun shy and decided to stop innovating. To stop being exciting. It was a bad call because it wasn’t because of the N64 innovative features that they flubbed it but because of the use of cartridges, which both meant N64 games were ultra-compressed and lacking detail, as well as much more expensive than PSX games. The innovations, 3D advancement and analogs, were absolutely the right direction. Instead, Nintendo threw out some kids version of a PS2, and the world felt Nintendo was becoming obsolete as a console manufacturer as a result.

The Wii and DS combo delivered Nintendo from that dark time, and Nintendo had their greatest success in history during that time. The Wii and DS eventually led to the current Switch hybrid console, which is Nintendo’s most successful console ever, and on its way to becoming the most successful dedicated video game console in history… although, from a profit standpoint, I believe it’s already there (With Wii and DS in 2nd and 3rd).

Of course, with great success comes great backlash. Rewriting of history, and that hit Wii harder than most consoles (PSP is probably a distant second). Usually Nintendo benefits from historical rewrites, with Gamecube and N64 being elevated much higher than the reality of those generations. But in the case of the Wii, there are rewrites that aim to ignore the success and impact of the console, and belittle its successes. What it really was is the second coming of the NES. It brought Nintendo’s vast handheld audience (which included a lot of girls and young women) into the home console gaming sphere. It brought people like me, who hadn’t really played a lot of Nintendo games since like Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, and Banjo Kazooie back into playing Nintendo games regularly again.

Another post on the topic that I felt was persuasive: someone posted something about the PSP being underrated because of its comparison to the DS. I think that’s a good one. Because consider that it wasn’t up against the GBA, but Nintendo’s most successful handheld the DS, and as a new entrant. That’s kind of like if the Microsoft Xbox would have sold over 80 million units against the PS2 instead of its paltry 20 million.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Wii U.

Still love it.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

I'd say Wii U, great software line up.

Thankfully some of it's best software got second chances on Nintendo Switch, and some of them sold even better on Switch than Wii U.