By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Starfield will be 30 fps on Xbox Series X and S.

Alex from Digital Foundry says he counted 1296p resolution on Series X (FSR 2 on 4K set to balanced)

That's pretty low internal resolution for 30 fps target. Game is really demanding on GPU side as well.

That would indicate that RX 5700 from minimum specs on PC is targeting 1080p 30 fps.

Last edited by Radek - on 15 June 2023

Around the Network
Radek said:

Alex from Digital Foundry says he counted 1296p resolution on Series X (FSR 2 on 4K set to balanced)

That's pretty low internal resolution for 30 fps target. Game is really demanding on GPU side as well.

That would indicate that RX 5700 from minimum specs on PC is targeting 1080p 30 fps.

I was honestly surprised because I didn't detect any upscaling artifacting, but yeah they really go into why comparing it with other more linear sandbox games doesn't make sense.

zeldaring said:

I think we are gonna start seeing 30fps games again on current gen. final fantasy 16 already can't hold 60fps, and star wars looks like its doing too much graphically to be 60fps. hope we get a ps5 pro soon and i will sell my ps5.

Based on them recently increasing the price of PS5 in some regions I think we're like 3 years away from any "mid-gen" upgrade. More likely an upgraded console where specs is not drastically improve but more efficient hardware shaped around better Ai upscaling and frame insertion.

zeldaring said:

I think we are gonna start seeing 30fps games again on current gen. final fantasy 16 already can't hold 60fps, and star wars looks like its doing too much graphically to be 60fps. hope we get a ps5 pro soon and i will sell my ps5.

Lol.Calm down bro.

Otter said:
zeldaring said:

Based on them recently increasing the price of PS5 in some regions I think we're like 3 years away from any "mid-gen" upgrade. More likely an upgraded console where specs is not drastically improve but more efficient hardware shaped around better Ai upscaling and frame insertion.

Final Fantasy 16 locked 30FPS is pretty good and I actually preferred it over the ‘performance’ mode that drops quite often … I get that more FPS is better (when locked) but I think people are being a bit too dramatic about games coming out at 30FPS…

cannot wait to get my hand on Final next week! Demo was amazing and the FPS does not change that :)

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
Otter said:

Final Fantasy 16 locked 30FPS is pretty good and I actually preferred it over the ‘performance’ mode that drops quite often … I get that more FPS is better (when locked) but I think people are being a bit too dramatic about games coming out at 30FPS…

cannot wait to get my hand on Final next week! Demo was amazing and the FPS does not change that :)

30fps is fine for some games,but imo red dead 2 4k during gameplay still looks better then anything on current gen. 60fps actually feels like the current gen difference and it makes the upgrade worth it for me anyway. 

Imaginedvl said:
Otter said:

Oh totally! It's truly an internet thing. FPS of course matters but most people on consoles have been jumping between 30 & 60 FPS for the entirety of gaming history. I saw some people on twitter gloating (at least star wars & FF16 have performance modes) which shows where a lot of the energy is coming from... Because both games "performance" modes are trash lol. You could probably label a performance mode which runs at 30fps a fair portion of people will be tricked into thinking thyre getting a smoother experience.

Digital foundry also touch on it, it's a design choice around fixed hardware & not a next gen thing. Probably the N64/PS1 & PS3/360 era was probably the only gens where 60fps was truly rare. It's just now that cross gen games have  lots of headroom on current hardware & the internet has been educated on frame rate, we like to disect & pick our experience. But when the option isn't provided or highlighted because the developer has already curated an optimum experience (a tradition of consoles), I doubt it would be an issue for 95% of players if they just play the experience instead of reading about the headline of what they're not getting.

Those Eikon battle 20fps drops in FFXVI are a little distracting though lol. But it still remains my most hyped game of a long time.

I was hopefully for 60, but always expect it to be only 30. This games going to be amazing so as long as the performance is stable, I have no issues. There really isn't any game on this scale while also looking this good, especially on a console.

SvennoJ said:

He didn't optimize the engine to get a stable 60fps from start to finish, that's where the real work is.

1. It isn't a proof of concept. Anyone can use the config. 

2. The discussion was about VRR. The target for VRR is, at least 45 FPS most of the time, not 60fps all of the time. Even if in certain circumstances there are drops under 45 fps, it might still be worth it if 90% of areas you have a variable 45-60fps. 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 16 June 2023

sc94597 said:
SvennoJ said:

He didn't optimize the engine to get a stable 60fps from start to finish, that's where the real work is.

1. It isn't a proof of concept. 

2. The discussion was about VRR. The target for VRR is, at least 45 FPS most of the time, not 60fps all of the time. Even if in certain circumstances there are drops under 45 fps, it might still be worth it if 90% of areas you have a variable 45-60fps. 

And if you are outputting through HDMI 2.1 you don't even need to adhere to 40-48 lows, you can go down to 20-24 with LFC and still have no tearing. That's literally the only adjustment games hovering around 30-40 fps need for VRR in this scenario, besides uncapping the framerate. AFAIK the PS5 can even do it to any game automatically unless it has a hard cap at the engine level, not sure about the XBX.

I honestly think the deal here is that MS wants graphics to be a selling point of this game and knows it will not look anywhere as nice in 60 fps (maybe it already has issues in 30 fps). And since most people aren't using HDMI 2.1 or 120 Hz displays for VRR at lower framerates, the mode doesn't even exist because MS wants no bitching about stuttering from clueless people enabling it when they shouldn't.