By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

RT very well may develop and be something special in the future.  All I can say is with ps5 games, RT is meh at best with today's games. I'll take the fps and 120 hz all day.  Ratchet at 120 hz is a sight to behold.

The issue is the PS5 itself. - As it's only using mid-range AMD GPU hardware.
AMD's high-end stuff is notorious for poor-RT capabilities, mid-range hardware is even worst.

So when your first impression of Ray Tracing is a poor one, then of course their view is not going to be great.

Ray Traced global illumination can look absolutely incredible. - It looks next-gen on PC compared to the PS5. - If there is one example of a need of a Playstation 5 "Pro" console, it would be because of Ray Tracing, console gamers are simply missing out and they don't even know it.

I don't doubt that.  But I'm not willing to pay $500+ just for a gpu.  Perhaps RT will be a thing for the ps6.

Around the Network
Leynos said:
Pemalite said:

Tried gaming at 120fps yet?

Let's try and get 60FPS standard on consoles first lol like 6th gen consoles did

6th gen had most games at 30fps.

Some of the biggest sellers, San-Andreas, Grand Theft Auto 3 were 30fps for instance... Even the more powerful Xbox had big hitters like Halo, Fable, Morrowind, Half Life, Doom and more all run at 30fps.

You will never get a standard 60 FPS on consoles because the hardware is fixed, even the SNES had a plethora of games run at 24fps/30fps. Some even less... But still had a few 60fps titles.

Console hardware is static, developers need to keep improving visuals, so they cutback on resolution and/or framerate.

Point I was making is the fervor for 60fps, when in prior generations it was never super important to console gamers, it was often downplayed as a guaranteed feature on PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Leynos said:

Let's try and get 60FPS standard on consoles first lol like 6th gen consoles did

Some of the biggest sellers, San-Andreas, Grand Theft Auto 3 were 30fps for instance... Even the more powerful Xbox had big hitters like Halo, Fable, Morrowind, Half Life, Doom and more all run at 30fps.

You will never get a standard 60 FPS on consoles because the hardware is fixed, even the SNES had a plethora of games run at 24fps/30fps. Some even less... But still had a few 60fps titles.

Console hardware is static, developers need to keep improving visuals, so they cutback on resolution and/or framerate.

Point I was making is the fervor for 60fps, when in prior generations it was never super important to console gamers, it was often downplayed as a guaranteed feature on PC.

We are at the point now of diminishing returns. Games look good enough. developers need to stop wasting resources on graphics make it a solid 60fos and make great gameplay. Just look at Nintendo success, The games graphically are much closer to 7th generation and doing gang busters, GTAV a 7th gen game upgraded still charting 10 years alter.

zeldaring said:
Pemalite said:

We are at the point now of diminishing returns. Games look good enough. developers need to stop wasting resources on graphics make it a solid 60fos and make great gameplay. Just look at Nintendo success, The games graphically are much closer to 7th generation and doing gang busters, GTAV a 7th gen game upgraded still charting 10 years alter.

Majority of Switch games aren't 60fps.

So clearly 60fps isn't important considering how "gangbusters" the sales have been with Switch.

Almost every game I own on Dreamcast runs at 60. I dunno maybe I was more used to DC and Gamecube then as I didn't have a PS2 until 2011. I had a DC,Xbox and Gamecube. Now I have all 4 but 1st party games on Gamecube ran amazing. Most the arcade ports on my DC run amazingly tho some games like Crazy Taxi have some issues.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

So clearly 60fps isn't important considering how "gangbusters" the sales have been with Switch.

Thats not my point even though many of top selling switch games are 60fps. My point is if switch games can sell that much games with 7th gen graphics, along with GTAV. clearly graphics don't matter as much and they already look amazing on ps5 so why not just focus on gameplay instead pushing graphics were it makes the game buggy with bad performance. Targeting 60fps locked will minimize that problem instead of targeting the highest end graphics. 

Switch is well above 7th-generation hardware. That's pretty est by now. It's produced many games looking better than 7th generation.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Switch is well above 7th-generation hardware. That's pretty est by now. It's produced many games looking better than 7th generation.

Of course we know switch is more powerful then 7th gen but the jump was basically  1080p from WIIU for most Nintendo games. look at the best selling games. they are mostly Wiiu graphics at 1080p or 900p. So i would say switch is much close to 7th gen then to PS4.

zeldaring said:
Pemalite said:

Thats not my point even though many of top selling switch games are 60fps. My point is if switch games can sell that much games with 7th gen graphics, along with GTAV. clearly graphics don't matter as much and they already look amazing on ps5 so why not just focus on gameplay instead pushing graphics were it makes the game buggy with bad performance. Targeting 60fps locked will minimize that problem instead of targeting the highest end graphics. 

You referenced the Switch's success and lack of visual fidelity as a non-issue.

I referenced the Switch's success and lack of high frame rates as a non-issue.

I am -literally- using the same logic as you are. - So don't go changing the goal post now just because I turned your logic back around onto you.

Clearly the Switch is the example where graphics and framerates don't matter... Many Switch games aren't even breaking ground on gameplay mechanics. - Mario Kart 8 is a port of the last-gen WiiU variant which is the Switch's best seller for instance.

The Playstation 5's visuals are more refined than the Playstation 4. Absolutely. - But anyone who has a clue can see where shortcuts are taken, we aren't at photo-realistic levels yet, there is so much more than can be improved.

And clearly the Playstation 5+Xbox Series X+PC are showing the example where framerates and visuals absolutely do matter, otherwise, why upgrade from last gen? It's not like they are missing out on many games. - And collectively they are a bigger market than Switch.

Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

You referenced the Switch's success and lack of visual fidelity as a non-issue.

I referenced the Switch's success and lack of high frame rates as a non-issue.

I am -literally- using the same logic as you are. - So don't go changing the goal post now just because I turned your logic back around onto you.

Clearly the Switch is the example where graphics and framerates don't matter... Many Switch games aren't even breaking ground on gameplay mechanics. - Mario Kart 8 is a port of the last-gen WiiU variant which is the Switch's best seller for instance.

The Playstation 5's visuals are more refined than the Playstation 4. Absolutely. - But anyone who has a clue can see where shortcuts are taken, we aren't at photo-realistic levels yet, there is so much more than can be improved.

And clearly the Playstation 5+Xbox Series X+PC are showing the example where framerates and visuals absolutely do matter, otherwise, why upgrade from last gen? It's not like they are missing out on many games. - And collectively they are a bigger market than Switch.

I'm not saying graphics don't matter i'm saying there is plenty of room for beautiful graphics to run at 60fps on current hardware. clearly current gen  can't offer  great RT with out a huge sacrifice thats just not worth it imo. I can see graphics getting much better in the future with AI helping develop games with PS6 but as of now with current gen consoles and how small the jump is 2 years they should mainly focus on gameplay.

You can check hundreds of polls online comparing graphics vs 60fps and 60fps is winning all the time by a huge margin.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 11 June 2023