By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game developers are blown away by Tears of the Kingdom

zeldaring said:
super_etecoon said:

Games aren't just graphics vs. physics, though.  There are so many more game systems at play from skill trees to resource management to dialogue structures.  The list goes on and on. You seem to have a very narrow focus on what a good game is (I've seen your list) and it seems you're trying to convince everyone that your way is the right way and the way that all developers are going.  Please don't insult their teams so much as to say that all they are focused on is a shiny package.  They deserve better than that for all the work they do.

I'm not trying to insult the work at all. The talk is here why is physics haven't really advanced all the much  in AAA space. if you put crazy physics it will come at the price of the graphics and developers choose not too for the most part.

So all you're taking from this developer praise is that people like the physics in TotK?  You think that is all they are referring to when discussing the magic that is happening in this game?  You do know the Switch is a handheld with tech dating back to 2015.  We're talking about the lack of loading (I don't think you've played this game yet, so I'm not sure if you have much to go on here), the scale of the world, the combining of different objects in the game (I'm talking about fuse here, not the ultrahand used to create various contraptions). The fact that all of this is being handled without crashes is beyond belief.

Whatever Zelda thread you enter (I'm honestly not even sure why Zelda is in your name, btw) you come with the same argument and your purpose on this site seems to be defined by downplaying the success that this game, both in terms of its legacy as a follow up to Breath of the Wild and in comparison to other games in the market.  I can tell you're getting a lot of enjoyment out of being the contrary citizen, though, and you're certainly keeping these threads alive, so more power to your style. 

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
zeldaring said:

I'm not trying to insult the work at all. The talk is here why is physics haven't really advanced all the much  in AAA space. if you put crazy physics it will come at the price of the graphics and developers choose not too for the most part.

So all you're taking from this developer praise is that people like the physics in TotK?  You think that is all they are referring to when discussing the magic that is happening in this game?  You do know the Switch is a handheld with tech dating back to 2015.  We're talking about the lack of loading (I don't think you've played this game yet, so I'm not sure if you have much to go on here), the scale of the world, the combining of different objects in the game (I'm talking about fuse here, not the ultrahand used to create various contraptions). The fact that all of this is being handled without crashes is beyond belief.

Whatever Zelda thread you enter (I'm honestly not even sure why Zelda is in your name, btw) you come with the same argument and your purpose on this site seems to be defined by downplaying the success that this game, both in terms of its legacy as a follow up to Breath of the Wild and in comparison to other games in the market.  I can tell you're getting a lot of enjoyment out of being the contrary citizen, though, and you're certainly keeping these threads alive, so more power to your style. 

I came and praised zelda in this thread. I only mentioned that most AAA will not have the luxury of pushing physics at the expense of downgraded  graphics  and people acting like i'm down playing zelda. I mentioned many times i really enoyed BOTW i think it has some problems but i think its a great game. I zeldaring in my name cause my 2 next games are elden ring and TOTK. i'm not really into open worlds that much but the praise i hear for both games has me really interested.

zeldaring said:

Zelda is using the havoc physics engine. what makes it so impressive is that it's doing so many things with out breaking the game in massive open world. No one is is gonna be able to do what zelda did with physics unless they use the same style graphics which is basically a 7th gen game and even then Nintendo spent a insane amount on money on BOTW and the average Japanese developers get paid peanuts compared to US and Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-y94o7hlMM

This game is next level physics but look at the graphics lol. 

Is this the post where you claim to be praising Zelda? 

"Look at the graphics lol"

That is some top notch commenting, by the way. You really are bring you're A game to this discussion.

Developers use what they have at hand. Physics is a task that is simulated on CPUs, GPUs are rarely used to develop game physics engines anymore. Graphics power has increased much more than the computing power of CPUs, and this also influences what can advance more, in this case graphics, and what advances more slowly, physics.

More or less beautiful graphics have hardly any influence on physics engines, most of them use quite simplified models in terms of the geometry of the objects to be simulated.

What is really impressive and complicated is to get so many game-affecting systems acting at the same time, in a limited frame time, bug-free and with the power of a handheld console based on 2015 hardware.

super_etecoon said:
zeldaring said:

Zelda is using the havoc physics engine. what makes it so impressive is that it's doing so many things with out breaking the game in massive open world. No one is is gonna be able to do what zelda did with physics unless they use the same style graphics which is basically a 7th gen game and even then Nintendo spent a insane amount on money on BOTW and the average Japanese developers get paid peanuts compared to US and Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-y94o7hlMM

This game is next level physics but look at the graphics lol. 

That is some top notch commenting, by the way. You really are bring you're A game to this discussion.

My point in tha video is look how far physics can go if developers don't focus on graphics that shit is insane. especially with the power of current gen.  ultimately  even though it's impressive can they make a amazing game out of it like Nintendo. You need to stop being overly sensitive its just a video game.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
super_etecoon said:

My point in tha video is look how far physics can go if developers don't focus on graphics that shit is insane. especially with the power of current gen.  ultimately  even though it's impressive can they make a amazing game out of it like Nintendo. You need to stop being overly sensitive its just a video game.

You still don't understand that they are not interrelated. Better graphics don't have to mean worse physics, no matter how much you stubbornly insist on it.

Kynes said:
zeldaring said:

You still don't understand that they are not interrelated. Better graphics don't have to mean worse physics, no matter how much you stubbornly insist on it.

So you saying if everything was destructible it would not effect performance? that's false. aside from that they would need to a massive budget. TOKT which is using dated graphics need 1 year just to test everything works now imagine that on something like GTA6 most developers will go bankrupt doing both things which is why it probably has not been done. it would be a beautiful thing. 

zeldaring said:
Kynes said:

So you saying if everything was destructible it would not effect performance? that's false. aside from that they would need to a massive budget. TOKT which is using dated graphics need 1 year just to test everything works now imagine that on something like GTA6 most developers will go bankrupt doing both things which is why it probably has not been done. 

Performance yes, graphics performance no. You have multiple systems that work in parallel and can generate stalls in the generation of a frame. Just because one is much more complex and reduces cpu performance doesn't mean that another one will get worse, it will simply have the graphics system idle longer waiting for the cpu to generate the necessary calculations for the next frame.

You have no idea how game engines work, and you've been spreading disinformation and your opinions as if they were facts.

Kynes said:
zeldaring said:

So you saying if everything was destructible it would not effect performance? that's false. aside from that they would need to a massive budget. TOKT which is using dated graphics need 1 year just to test everything works now imagine that on something like GTA6 most developers will go bankrupt doing both things which is why it probably has not been done. 

Performance yes, graphics performance no. You have multiple systems that work in parallel and can generate stalls in the generation of a frame. Just because one is much more complex and reduces cpu performance doesn't mean that another one will get worse, it will simply have the graphics system idle longer waiting for the cpu to generate the necessary calculations for the next frame.

will same thing if performance suffers the game will be regarded as unplayable and sales will suffer which is my point as to why graphics will be the main focus. i have stated many times performance  will suffer. you can't have a good looking game if performance is crap they go hand and hand.