By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game developers are blown away by Tears of the Kingdom

Cobretti2 said:
mjk45 said:

Bullshit Horizon wasn't built as a Zelda killer it came out around the same time as BOTW if anything it was Sony's take on Ubisoft open world games.

You say that with such confidence like there was no Zelda game before BotW. Go look at all the articles, videos calling it the Zelda killer. Then look at all the outrage why BotW won GOY.  

The one thing you are right on yes they came out at about the same time so what Horizon was, was never going to be a direct battle against BotW but it's predecessors. I would argue not many people thought BotW would be such a significant leap from the previous game that it surprised many when it come out

Who ever called Horizon a Zelda killer has no idea to what they are talking about.zelda is the  best gaming franchise of all time. You can't compare it with some developers that haven't even made a big hit. They still don't even have one game with a 90 metracritic. 

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
mjk45 said:

Bullshit Horizon wasn't built as a Zelda killer it came out around the same time as BOTW if anything it was Sony's take on Ubisoft open world games.

You say that with such confidence like there was no Zelda game before BotW. Go look at all the articles, videos calling it the Zelda killer. Then look at all the outrage why BotW won GOY.  

The one thing you are right on yes they came out at about the same time so what Horizon was, was never going to be a direct battle against BotW but it's predecessors. I would argue not many people thought BotW would be such a significant leap from the previous game that it surprised many when it come out

I say it with confidence because you said Horizon was built as a Zelda killer without any facts to back up your statement, the horizon connection with Zelda revolves around BOTW and the fact they came out around the same time with both being open worlds games it was never referred to as the Zelda killer by anyone involved most of the horizon talk was about Guerrilla's move away from FP shooter Killzone to a 3rd person open world adventure game and whether they could pull it off no one was comparing it to the 3D style Zelda's like Twilight Princess and Skywards Sword, the Zelda discussion started with BOTW because you had two new open world games from Sony and Nintendo that came out together with both being big hits for their respective publishers.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 06 June 2023

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

zeldaring said:
Cobretti2 said:

Who ever called Horizon a Zelda killer has no idea to what they are talking about.zelda is the  best gaming franchise of all time. You can't compare it with some developers that haven't even made a big hit. They still don't even have one game with a 90 metracritic. 

I agree there. Buts that the hype that was given to it before it even come out, there is plenty of it on google still if you look. There was wishful thinking that this would be the thing that would made Zelda look dated.

The Zelda killer title seems to stem from the lead up and launch of BOTW and Zero Dawn happening side by side; fans inevitably compared the two as ammo in the perpetual console wars, and at the time Sony seemed unstoppable with PS4 dominating the market and the Wii U failing miserably.

I can't find it now but we had an infamous thread here where someone predicted that Horizon would beat Zelda in both sales and reviews.

Of course, once the two games actually released, BOTW ended up being widely considered one of the best games ever made, while Horizon was considered merely a good game.

curl-6 said:

The Zelda killer title seems to stem from the lead up and launch of BOTW and Zero Dawn happening side by side; fans inevitably compared the two as ammo in the perpetual console wars, and at the time Sony seemed unstoppable with PS4 dominating the market and the Wii U failing miserably.

I can't find it now but we had an infamous thread here where someone predicted that Horizon would beat Zelda in both sales and reviews.

Of course, once the two games actually released, BOTW ended up being widely considered one of the best games ever made, while Horizon was considered merely a good game.

Horizone is 89 on metracritic and a 8.4 user score. It looks like many thought it was a great game but as always that's subjective. I haven't played though. One of my friends always raves about it but he's a casual gamer.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Horizon was mostly trying to copy success of Witcher 3, if memory serves me right, and they were fairly vocal about influence of TW3 on HZD's design - so far that CDPR made a slight jab at them, all in good spirit:

and GG returning the favor:

I thought the gaming world left the moniker of "X/Y Killer" in the 7th generation. Killzone the Halo Killer! Gunvalkyrie the Metroid Killer! With very few exceptions it never works and usually backfires badly. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I don't remember anyone saying Zelda Killer.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

I thought the gaming world left the moniker of "X/Y Killer" in the 7th generation. Killzone the Halo Killer! Gunvalkyrie the Metroid Killer! With very few exceptions it never works and usually backfires badly. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but I don't remember anyone saying Zelda Killer.

In particular I really miss the era of 'WoW-killers'. How many big name studios fell for that particular honey trap.

Ironically FFXIV which originally had one of the most disastrous launches for a game ever, ended up having one of the greatest comebacks with Realm Reborn and is perhaps the premiere MMO on the market now; as far as quality at least, since some people still refuse to move on from that outdated dinosaur WoW.