By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hogwarts Legacy on Last Gen

The issue with back-porting is that often it is a game of cutting and chopping to shoe-horn it onto the hardware, rather than building the game to target the hardware.. So they tend to be compromised in terms of visuals.

It will be very interesting to see how muddy it looks on the Switch, the Xbox One/Playstation 4 versions are already looking fairly muddy compared to the higher-end release, but that was to be expected.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If they throw enough resources at the problem, perhaps they can achieve a Sniper Elite 4/Zombie Army 4 type miracle where it comes eerily close to PS4/Xbone through intensive low level optimization. The end result could be similar to something like Witcher 3 or World War Z on Switch.

The genius behind Sniper Elite 4 and Zomby Army 4 (same dev) is that they didn't take the "put everything at ultra low and agressive DRS and AA will do the rest, they decided to optimize the games without using DRS and that's why they run at 1080p@30fps just as the PS4 version 

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

If they throw enough resources at the problem, perhaps they can achieve a Sniper Elite 4/Zombie Army 4 type miracle where it comes eerily close to PS4/Xbone through intensive low level optimization. The end result could be similar to something like Witcher 3 or World War Z on Switch.

The genius behind Sniper Elite 4 and Zomby Army 4 (same dev) is that they didn't take the "put everything at ultra low and agressive DRS and AA will do the rest, they decided to optimize the games without using DRS and that's why they run at 1080p@30fps just as the PS4 version 

Yeah Rebellion North are low key the best Switch porting studio in the world, their later works are absolute sorcery in how well they replicate PS4 games on much less powerful hardware. No aggressively low resolution, no muddy textures, no nasty pop-in, no stuttering framerate.

In their case, they have a highly skilled team who are given the time and resources they need to make the Switch version the best it can be. With Hogwarts Legacy, there's no telling how much they'll invest in the Switch version; will they go to the trouble of carefully optimizing and tweaking it, or will they only have the budget to just cut it down until it runs?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 May 2023

Radek said:

I think base PS4 is the most impressive since it's 10 years old.

900p 29-40 fps in unlocked mode and also better AO and faster loading times than Xbox One version, because let's be honest 720p on Xbox One is really low and pretty much everyone already has a 4K TV :/

Anything under 1080p looks pretty crappy on a decently sized 4k TV.

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah Rebellion North are low key the best Switch porting studio in the world, their later works are absolute sorcery in how well they replicate AAA PS4 games on much less powerful hardware. No aggressively low resolution, no muddy textures, no nasty pop-in, no stuttering framerate.

In their case, they have a highly skilled team who are given the time and resources they need to make the Switch version the best it can be. With Hogwarts Legacy, there's no telling how much they'll invest in the Switch version; will they go to the trouble of carefully optimizing and tweaking it, or will they only have the budget to just cut it down until it runs?

If Rebellion's games are considered AAA then AA and A games truly don't exist anymore.

Sniper Elite and especially Zombie Army as a spin-off series definitely don't have an AAA budget or AAA production values.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah Rebellion North are low key the best Switch porting studio in the world, their later works are absolute sorcery in how well they replicate AAA PS4 games on much less powerful hardware. No aggressively low resolution, no muddy textures, no nasty pop-in, no stuttering framerate.

If Rebellion's games are considered AAA then AA and A games truly don't exist anymore.

Sniper Elite and especially Zombie Army as a spin-off series definitely don't have an AAA budget or AAA production values.

That's a whole other discussion, but Rebellion refer to Sniper Elite 4 as AAA, and while Zombie Army 4 may not be in terms of production value, it's on the same level graphically which is what I was talking about.

These designations are ultimately arbitrary.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 May 2023

I can't understand why gamers care about how ancient consoles hardware run games that will most likely offer a huge downgrade. the investment for a PC or PS5 is not that much considering it will last a good 7-9 years. If you finically struggling then yea that sucks. even as a Nintendo fan you get practically a free remaster of every game you own on PC. 

zeldaring said:

I can't understand why gamers care about how ancient consoles hardware run games that will most likely offer a huge downgrade. the investment for a PC or PS5 is not that much considering it will last a good 7-9 years. If you finically struggling then yea that sucks.

Some people may be planning to upgrade later but already have a PS4/Xbone, or they may want to play on Switch so they can take it on the go.

It can also just be interesting to discuss how graphics/technology works. I personally find it fascinating to see how games are re-engineered to operate on hardware less powerful than they were designed for.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I can't understand why gamers care about how ancient consoles hardware run games that will most likely offer a huge downgrade. the investment for a PC or PS5 is not that much considering it will last a good 7-9 years. If you finically struggling then yea that sucks.

Some people may be planning to upgrade later but already have a PS4/Xbone, or they may want to play on Switch so they can take it on the go.

It can also just be interesting to discuss how graphics/technology works. I personally find it fascinating to see how games are re-engineered to operate on hardware less powerful than they were designed for.

That remind me... I had the opportunity to play DOOM on SNES back in the early 2000s. It was a decent port considering the hardware.

Of course, you won't play it on SNES if you can afford the PC or PS1 version, but it was my only way of playing it.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

That remind me... I had the opportunity to play DOOM on SNES back in the early 2000s. It was a decent port considering the hardware.

Of course, you won't play it on SNES if you can afford the PC or PS1 version, but it was my only way of playing it.

I owned Doom on the SNES back in the day; sure, it was significantly cut back from the PC version, but it was freaking Doom on a 16-bit console and that in itself was kinda mind blowing.