By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CMA blocks MS /ABK merger (Update: UK gov smears the CMA)

I am surprised since things were looking like they'd pass it but I suppose it makes sense since they didn't drop their concern over cloud gaming. The best case scenario for Microsoft now is the process taking far longer than they wanted and I certainly don't look forward to this potentially taking till 2024 to be fully over. Even if they still manage to acquire AB in the end it'll take too long for it to impact 2023 at this point so it really is looking like it's up to Starfield to try to salvage this year for Xbox.

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:

Microsoft Shareholders think this is good, the share rose $10 after the decision

As they should. There's a good chance of a large shares buyback happening now, or at least higher dividends.

"MLex says that the CMA decision should alarm tech companies like Broadcom or Amazon, among other large tech companies expecting to make an acquisition or in the process."

I say about fucking time  

Wait ... You mean the ultra capitalistic monopolistic corporation actually was denied this time ?!!

Didn't think we had governmental entities strong enough to sh*t on their parade but oh well ...

2% restored faith in humanity I guess

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I expected it to go through but earlier in the year (or late last) an Activision spokesperson said something that sounded basically like an ultimatum, as in approve it and we'll invest in the UK, don't and we won't.

"The CMA's report contradicts the ambitions of the UK to become an attractive country to build technology businesses. We will work aggressively with Microsoft to reverse this on appeal.

"The report's conclusions are a disservice to UK citizens, who face increasingly dire economic prospects. We will reassess our growth plans for the UK. Global innovators large and small will take note that - despite all its rhetoric - the UK is clearly closed for business."

Sorry but Activision can bugger off. First, the CMA has nothing to do with the UK governmental policy on business development in the UK, their job isn't that, but Activision maybe should take note that in the recent budget, UK government were increasing tax breaks for games development, to become an attractive country to build technology businesses, in this case specifically games development. At least MS has the decency to seemingly address the concerns and not just cry.

Crying because you didn't get your pay day.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I don't really see how the merger of two American companies would have a meaningful impact on the technology sector in the UK. It's not like they will suddenly move their development teams to the UK. Also nothing is stopping either from opening a new studio in UK.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Now we're never getting rid of Bobby Nodick. -_-

Now Microsoft can make a competitor to COD like they told Sony to make. lol

This essentially eliminates EA and Take Two off the Microsoft acquisition mock draft as well.

hinch said:
chakkra said:

Do you feel that Sony doesn't need any more studios either?

Uhh. we're not talking about Sony though. Not sure what that has anything to do with it.

MS has already invested in so many studio's and it hasn't quite paid off for them, just yet. Still have some big hitters from Bethesda incoming. And more from other studios. Better to manage what they have right now rather than adding more on their plate seeing as there output thus far hasn't been the strongest this gen - if we compare to older generations of Xbox consoles. Except now they have more studios than ever and lots of talent.

Okay, cool, but why don't you want to answer such a simple question? Do you feel that Sony doesn´t need more studios?