By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CMA blocks MS /ABK merger (Update: UK gov smears the CMA)

It is funny how much we want corporations to not meedle with government and agencies independence, until it is of someone interest that it is the opposite =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I think all deals should be scrutinized including the permanent third party exclusives that Sony is known for . All deals should be looked at from all corporations no matter how big or small which includes ms abk deal.

DonFerrari said:

It is funny how much we want corporations to not meedle with government and agencies independence, until it is of someone interest that it is the opposite =p

dane007 said:

I think all deals should be scrutinized including the permanent third party exclusives that Sony is known for . All deals should be looked at from all corporations no matter how big or small which includes ms abk deal.

DonFerrari said:

You want legal contracts to be 100% scrutinized at every time because they damage the company you like? That is where you want to invest taxes?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Isn't it like it is with everything? We don't want to meddle with anything until it is in our interest to do so.

EpicRandy said:
DonFerrari said:

Isn't it like it is with everything? We don't want to meddle with anything until it is in our interest to do so.

You may talk about yourself. Myself I'm advocate to minimum government and intervention. And if the law/procedure in one country is independence then you shall keep and respect that instead of when it is for something you want them decide to have intervention. That is the type of breach that government love to use to increase its power.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
EpicRandy said:

You may talk about yourself. Myself I'm advocate to minimum government and intervention. And if the law/procedure in one country is independence then you shall keep and respect that instead of when it is for something you want them decide to have intervention. That is the type of breach that government love to use to increase its power.

No, I was talking generally, do you often see someone meddle with things without interest? So a more clear answer to your prior post would be "Of course because this is how it works with literally every subject".

And if the law/procedure in one country is independence then you shall keep and respect that instead of when it is for something you want them decide to have intervention.

That's literally the opposite of how a democracy works though. Some countries' laws and practices allowed/still allow for pretty shady things and the only way forward is if/when people start questioning/disrespecting those shady laws and procedures in the first place.

Advocating for one way relationship with the government is counter-productive, if 1 government body's sole purpose is to meddle with companies then it is to be expected that companies can voice their concern, and grievances, and be heard by the government.

That is the type of breach that government love to use to increase its power.

What leads countries to increase power is unaccountability or the thought they could get away with X. There's no scenario where challenging the government using legal means is wrong or should be avoided for the sake of the government.

Last edited by EpicRandy - on 06 June 2023

EpicRandy said:
DonFerrari said:

No, I was talking generally, do you often see someone meddle with things without interest? So a more clear answer to your prior post would be "Of course because this is how it works with literally every subject".

And if the law/procedure in one country is independence then you shall keep and respect that instead of when it is for something you want them decide to have intervention.

That's literally the opposite of how a democracy works though. Some countries' laws and practices allowed/still allow for pretty shady things and the only way forward is if/when people start questioning/disrespecting those shady laws and procedures in the first place.

Advocating for one way relationship with the government is counter-productive, if 1 government body's sole purpose is to meddle with companies then it is to be expected that companies can voice their concern, and grievances, and be heard by the government.

What leads countries to increase power is unaccountability or the thought they could get away with X. There's no scenario where challenging the government using legal means is wrong or should be avoided for the sake of the government.

Nope, even for stuff I care about I rather the government doesn't touch it at all.

Are we really going the route that UK isn't a democracy so MS should go to their government and demand intervention on CMA to reestablish democracy?

Please tell me how the legal route on an independent body is external influence that detriments its independence.

DonFerrari said:
EpicRandy said:

Nope, even for stuff I care about I rather the government doesn't touch it at all.

Are we really going the route that UK isn't a democracy so MS should go to their government and demand intervention on CMA to reestablish democracy?

Please tell me how the legal route on an independent body is external influence that detriments its independence.

I believe we are simply not talking about the same thing here, as I don't know how this apply to my response

That's not what I said, Uk is a democracy and a working democracy accept the fact that being challenged is a thing, that's the principle behind many right such as freedom of expression and access to justice.

independence <> unaccountability, the independent entity did not make itself up, it was created with a mandate, if they overreached or are suspected to have overreached on such mandate it is expected that they get challenged. Otherwise, you imply that such a body is perfect and cannot be faulted in any way.